Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  11-18-09 Show
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 11-18-09 Show  (Read 2430 times)

stevekc40v

11-18-09 Show
« on: November 20, 2009, 04:09:56 PM »

Hey I'm a new listener, I saw your show on the podcast award website. Good job. I'm not a Libertarian, but I enjoy the wide range of open talk on your show.

That being said, your comments on the Army suicide story seemed a bit unnecessary. I am aware that your show is all about free talk and free opinions and I respect that, but it seems to me a better choice of words could have been used. I mean no doubt you have Army listeners who are currently serving in Iraq or Afghanistan who could use encouragement from their fellow countrymen. While you have every right to disagree with the political decisions as to why they are there, your attitude toward the rising suicide rate wasn't exactly encouraging. A simple, "hey we appreciate your service, hang in there" would have been better than "hey parents if you don't want your kids committing suicide don't let them join the Army." Which makes no sense because they choose to serve when they become adults.

Anyways I wanted to discuss this via e-mail but didn't see a link. Perhaps patriotism is something that Libertarians have a different viewpoint on.

NuroSlam

• Gold, Guns and Ammo
  • Gold, Guns and Ammo
    • View Profile
Re: 11-18-09 Show
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 04:30:43 PM »

Actually. highschool reserve deferred enlistment starts at 16.
Comrade Obama, Sorry but I have already served my country.

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 05:17:08 PM »

My grandma signed my dad up at 16, saying he was 18, just to get rid of him :)

I don't think it's fair for the troops to hear insincere wishes. If they have any sense at all they'll be sitting there in their boots wondering what the fuck the whole point of it all is. If they weren't threatened with punishment (and given promises of good benefits), I reckon many of them would like nothing more than to pick up and leave.

Many of us don't necessarily consider troops as "fellow countrymen", mainly because if they were given orders on US soil to point guns at their fellow countrymen- they would.
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

blackie

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 05:21:40 PM »

"fellow countrymen
I couldn't care less what country someone is from.

FTL_Wayne

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 09:31:56 PM »

Hi Steve, Wayne here.

I'm the one one read the story on air about Army suicides on 11/18. My intention behind reading the story is to show how morale declines as a war drags on. I also wanted to bring attention to the fact that most wars are based on sheer deception by special interests and their pet politicians.

That said, I strongly support the noble intention of the troops to protect the people of this country. Unfortunately, in reality that is not always what they're doing, as many of them find out. Personally, I would much rather see a decentralized, Switzerland-type model of defense which would be more effective, far less expensive and would create fewer, if any, enemies abroad.

Sometimes true patriotism is simply telling the truth.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  11-18-09 Show

// ]]>

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 31 queries.