Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  "Less" vs. "fewer": Mark (and Ian) should read this
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Less" vs. "fewer": Mark (and Ian) should read this  (Read 2476 times)

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: "Less" vs. "fewer": Mark (and Ian) should read this
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 04:34:28 PM »

Argumentum ad populum

The people who don't care about degrading language probably frequently intersect with the group of people who don't care about degrading knowledge of real history versus the folk history taught in schools.

rwwright

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 08:41:54 PM »

Argumentum ad populum

The people who don't care about degrading language probably frequently intersect with the group of people who don't care about degrading knowledge of real history versus the folk history taught in schools.

Did you miss the part where he says "I am not saying that claims about grammaticality rest on or can be justified by statistical facts about what occurs in actual usage"? Or the fact that he's a linguist? (I know, I know -- appeal to authority...)

It's not a question of "degrading language." It's a question of people like you and Mark being militantly pedantic when there is no objective basis for your pedantry.

davann

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 11:58:10 AM »

Argumentum ad populum

Bah, there are far to many language snobs. Language is merely a tool to communicate. If the person or persons understand what the communicator is saying than mission accomplished.   

This is a big beef I have with the college educated. They get stuck on shit that just does not matter just to rub others noses in their self perceived brilliance. Get over yer selves. We that are less educated know already that you have a college education by the mere fact you are a snobby can't find your ass from a hole in the ground prick. You really don't need to correct our grammar also.

rwwright

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 08:49:41 PM »

"can't find your ass from a hole in the ground" should be hyphenated.  :lol:

Bill Brasky

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 09:14:29 PM »

"can't find your ass from a hole in the ground" should be hyphenated.  :lol:

I would strike it and substitute "intolerable". 

fatcat

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2009, 05:04:00 PM »

Bah, there are far to many language snobs. Language is merely a tool to communicate. If the person or persons understand what the communicator is saying than mission accomplished.   

This is a big beef I have with the college educated. They get stuck on shit that just does not matter just to rub others noses in their self perceived brilliance. Get over yer selves.

motherfucking this.

language isn't "degrading", its just changing.

language snobs from 100 years ago were saying the same shit, and they'll probably be saying it 100 years from now, even though language has constantly shifted throughout that period.

The only bad language is when you fail to communicate what you mean effectively.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2009, 05:15:37 PM »

This is a big beef I have with the college educated. They get stuck on shit that just does not matter just to rub others noses in their self perceived brilliance. Get over yer selves.

motherfucking this.

language isn't "degrading", its just changing.

language snobs from 100 years ago were saying the same shit, and they'll probably be saying it 100 years from now, even though language has constantly shifted throughout that period.

The only bad language is when you fail to communicate what you mean effectively.

Yeah, well..  there are minimum standards to be observed, both written and spoken.  Normally, if the line of demarcation is comprehension, its probable that I don't want to comprehend the mega-fucking-stupidity they are barely able to deliver. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Show
| | |-+  "Less" vs. "fewer": Mark (and Ian) should read this

// ]]>

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 34 queries.