Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Your favorite programming languages.

Poll

What are your favorites?

Assembly
- 4 (11.1%)
C/C++/C#
- 9 (25%)
Python
- 10 (27.8%)
LISP
- 3 (8.3%)
Ada
- 1 (2.8%)
BASIC (Pure, Visual, and etc)
- 2 (5.6%)
Perl (Because I'm evil...)
- 0 (0%)
Java
- 3 (8.3%)
Ruby
- 3 (8.3%)
D
- 1 (2.8%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Your favorite programming languages.  (Read 8355 times)

ladyattis

Re: Your favorite programming languages.
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2007, 09:46:21 AM »

Hey, I like PureBASIC, so I'm not going to trash Coldfusion. I'm also getting a hang of Ruby right now, but I need to dig through the chm formatted book that came with it. It really helps. It almost reminds me of LPC, which I'm relearning so I can code in my combat system I got on paper. :shock:

-- Bridget

Johnny_

« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2007, 12:18:07 PM »

I'm a web developer for a living and I'm going to be stoned.

Redundant.

ladyattis

« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2007, 12:18:26 PM »

I'm a web developer for a living and I'm going to be stoned.

Redundant.

LAWL!

AbsurdParadox

• FTL AMPlifier Platinum
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2007, 07:00:02 PM »

I'm a web developer for a living and I'm going to be stoned, tarred, and feathered for this, but I prefer Coldfusion.

I've heard good things about Coldfusion.  I would have considered it for some projects, but the barrier to entry for me was the cost.  A similar free product is Zope which is written in Python.  It has a template based language that superficially resembles Coldfusion.  I haven't used either, only read about them, so I can't say how deep the similarities go.

For me these days, the IDE is just as important as the language.  A good IDE can make a crappy language pretty productive.  Does CF have its own IDE?

I just use dreamweaver. It has anything you can imagine for coldfusion (function tool tips, proper color coding and all that). I've never been much of an "object dropper" style coder, but then again, nearly everything I write is fully custom to real specific stuff, so it ends up being kind of hard to reuse objects, etc.

Yeah, the beauty of Coldfusion is that it does start out really easy to use, template based as you mentioned, but can go extremely far. Anyone could whip together a site with hardly any prior knowledge. Yet at the same time, people like me who've used it since nearly its inception can whip out entire rich web app frameworks with. I see Coldfusion a bit like libertarianism. The right choice, but most people have horrible misconceptions! ;)

adamruth

« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2007, 10:22:19 PM »

I just use dreamweaver. It has anything you can imagine for coldfusion (function tool tips, proper color coding and all that). I've never been much of an "object dropper" style coder, but then again, nearly everything I write is fully custom to real specific stuff, so it ends up being kind of hard to reuse objects, etc.

One thing that I liked about it was that it fits in with the HTML.  Things like PHP and ASP are horrible because the structure of the two languages are so very different, it makes mixing them a real pain in the keester.  Zope, Coldfusion, XSLT, and some others I can't think of don't have this impedence mismatch.  PHP and ASP are just begging to end up spaghettified and ugly.

Taors

« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2007, 10:54:05 PM »

I should have learned a programming language when I was a young kid. I'll probably never learn now that I'm so old. :?

cerpntaxt

« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2007, 11:48:23 PM »

I should have learned a programming language when I was a young kid. I'll probably never learn now that I'm so old. :?
http://wiki.python.org/moin/BeginnersGuide/NonProgrammers

FKnight

• Evil Statist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2007, 02:36:34 AM »

BASIC, Visual BASIC, and VB.NET are three entirely different languages and should not have all been included as one choice.
$signature not defined.

ladyattis

« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2007, 09:24:40 AM »

BASIC, Visual BASIC, and VB.NET are three entirely different languages and should not have all been included as one choice.

They're of the similar paradigm. So by your logic C, C++, C#, and Java are nothing alike despite being strongly typed and having the same syntax for conditionals and etc.

Edit: Also I never put VB.net in there. *shakes head* Read the fucking poll again. *smacks Fknight upside the head*

-- Bridget

AlexLibman

« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2007, 05:07:45 PM »

A lot of languages changed as much over the decades as BASIC did.  For example, they're now spec`ing out Fortran 2008 that looks nothing like its grandpa from the 1950s.  Whether a family of programming languages should be considered holistically or split up should be a question of evolution vs revolution.  If you've coded in transitional versions of BASIC, like Microsoft VB v1 for DOS and the early VB.NET betas, it's clear that BASIC evolved gradually to meet the needs of the marketplace.

No one is debating whether they should write their next project in BASICA or VB.NET!  But ANSI C vs object oriented C++ vs VM-hosted C# vs D is a very relevant question, thus they should be considered separate language choices.

rabidfurby

« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2007, 06:12:31 PM »

They're of the similar paradigm. So by your logic C, C++, C#, and Java are nothing alike despite being strongly typed and having the same syntax for conditionals and etc.

This isn't a "favorite programming language paradigm" poll. There should be an individual option for each language.

As I pointed out earlier, just because many programming languages share paradigms does not imply that fans of one language are fans of all other languages with that paradigm.

AbsurdParadox

• FTL AMPlifier Platinum
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2007, 07:39:05 PM »

Man aren't you 17? LOL

Taors

« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2007, 08:12:27 PM »

Man aren't you 17? LOL

Yeah, what's your point?

money dollars

« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2007, 12:02:47 PM »

I hate them all.

ladyattis

« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2007, 01:03:35 PM »

This isn't a "favorite programming language paradigm" poll. There should be an individual option for each language.

As I pointed out earlier, just because many programming languages share paradigms does not imply that fans of one language are fans of all other languages with that paradigm.

Doesn't matter. It's my thread, either take it or GTFO.

-- Bridget
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Your favorite programming languages.

// ]]>

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 37 queries.