Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Wrongful banning

Poll

Should wrongful banning and what can be done about it be a topic on a segment of Free Talk Live?

1. Yes, wrongful banning is one of the biggest problems of our time in the online universe and should be shown light on and addressed.
- 0 (0%)
2. Yes, wrongful banning is one of the establishment and creeping establishment's best kept ugly dirty secrets used, tolerated, and exploited to keep the good and the righteous and the wronged unseen and unheared.
- 1 (25%)
3. No.  It really doesn't matter if people are wrongly and/or wrongfully banned from places.  Those places have rights, including to be an asshole or worse and the wrongful ban-ee is just in a tough noogies type situation and should suck it up.
- 2 (50%)
4. No. The conditions should be left perfect for some hippie-type or equivalent to charge 50 cents a month admission to paradise and make billions.  And then rub it in, and maybe spread it around alittle.
- 0 (0%)
5. No.  I never really thought about it.  I just always assumed "they" in general would never come for me, all my papers are in order, I've had all my shots, I'm in good with the establishment... I really don’t care about others.
- 0 (0%)
6. No, some other reason. (post comment)
- 1 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Voting closed: November 03, 2012, 01:19:54 PM

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wrongful banning  (Read 26537 times)

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
Re: Wrongful banning
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2012, 12:37:47 PM »

Well said.

You read it? So what did he say?

Bill Brasky

• Emperor of Wisdom
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2012, 03:13:41 AM »

Well said.

You read it? So what did he say?

I donno, I was just kidding.

Its the ramblings of a lunatic.  I'm not reading that horseshit.

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2012, 06:00:48 PM »

It matters to me if someone I give a shit about is banned.

I don't give a shit this time.

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2012, 03:55:27 AM »

How could that happen if half the posters on this site are also mods?

Highest mod to user ratio of any website I've ever seen.
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

liberaunchy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2012, 09:02:48 AM »

Well who gets wrongfully banned from the mall?

It's privately owned cyber property with public access.

Until there's some over riding civil law,  the owners reserve the right to refuse service to anyone.

Yeah yeah, it's a Jim crowe law, but that means absolutely jack shyte.

They might also let in people you don't like.

You get to do what you want in your popsicle stand and the popsicle stand down the block gets to do what they want  in their establishment. Free enterprise. It's a good thing. Get on board.

If it rubs one the wrong way, possibly take it where the sun shines the way you want it.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 09:05:00 AM by liberaunchy »

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2012, 01:19:50 PM »

"Omit needless words"

Strunk and White, The Elements of Style, 17th principle of composition.

"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

Bill Brasky

• Emperor of Wisdom
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2012, 03:32:09 AM »

How could that happen if half the posters on this site are also mods?

Highest mod to user ratio of any website I've ever seen.

Do a lumbar puncture, a CT-5 scan, and a lung biopsy.  

I know what you're thinking:  High mod to user ratio equals Lupus.  Well, its not Lupus, it's never Lupus.  Now, go find out why it's not Lupus.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 03:39:12 AM by Fish Socks »

DragQueen

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2012, 09:35:10 PM »

the banning rule is quite political, if you really wanna get to the brass tacks of it.
fuck no, i don't mean ''political'' in any intelligent or real-life sense of the meaning.
i mean political HERE, inasmuch as a pack of insipid little twat-bags on a 5th grade playground would get together & ''vote'' out the kid that doesn't kowtow to their particular version of ''in'', or stepford-fucking-wives lemming march......

Alex Libmаn

• View Profile
    • bbs.freetalklive.com-sql-20100831.7z
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2012, 11:50:53 PM »

I am a shithead who was completely obsessed with the Free State Project and Free Talk Live.  For five years, this BBS was the most important thing in my life.  Frustrated with my own inadequacies, illnesses, and my inability to do anything meaningful for the cause of liberty, I spiraled into an ever-deeper depression, with my only opium being pathetic self-expression on this BBS.

Along the way, I've managed to alienate everyone I ever cared about, and eventually got banned (and, by implication, banished from the Free State Project).  I've spent the next two years hanging by a thread between life and death.  That banishment was an existential endpoint, the collapse of all my values, after which I have completely lost the will to live, pretty much becoming a homeless bum who endlessly mumbles something incoherent about "Ian Fraudman stabbing me in the back".  This emotion overpowers all of my capacity for reason, but it is an emotion nevertheless.

I am just here to say that my banishment was not "wrongful".  I alone am responsible for my actions, and no one has any obligation to "be fair to me" or "treat me like a human being".  It was my decision to trust and support Free Talk Live in the foolish way that I did.

In my mind it remains the paragon of achievement, the center of my universe, the greatest pillar supporting the struggle for human freedom.  I have proven myself unworthy of it, and that is the epitaph of my existence.

I have failed to accept my failure with dignity.  I can only hope that others will learn from my mistake.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 04:24:39 AM by Nambil »

Brooklyn Red Leg

• The Red Legged Devil
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2012, 06:31:22 AM »

That banishment was an existential endpoint, the collapse of all my values, after which I have completely lost the will to live, pretty much becoming a homeless bum who endlessly mumbles something incoherent about "Ian Fraudman stabbing me in the back".

:?

Ummm.....HUH?
"Democracy, too, is a religion. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." - H.L. Mencken

Er_Murazor's KoLWiki Page

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2012, 07:06:57 PM »

No.

Free speech should be discussed. It's also good to discuss the rights of a property owner, whether real or virtual, to remove individuals who are behaving in a manner against published guidelines, or in a manner chasing off other customers.

It would be foolish to let people who deliberately and repeatedly break the very loose rules on the FTL board take that same behavior onto the air, chasing off other listeners.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

Bill Brasky

• Emperor of Wisdom
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2012, 05:01:19 AM »

I'll ban whoever I want. 

I've deliberately infiltrated this message board, and theres nothing you can do about it.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Wrongful banning

// ]]>

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 37 queries.