Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Worst Government Programs

Poll

What do you think is the most destructive thing that governments do?

The Military (incl. purpetual war, interventionism, etc)
- 4 (12.1%)
Public Schools
- 11 (33.3%)
Trade Restrictions (incl. Licensing)
- 0 (0%)
Wealth Redistribution
- 4 (12.1%)
Gun Control (incl. carry rights, self-defense rights)
- 5 (15.2%)
War on Drugs
- 5 (15.2%)
Invasions of Privacy
- 1 (3%)
Federal Reserve, Inflation, Deflation
- 3 (9.1%)
Foreign Aid
- 0 (0%)
Other (Not including taxation)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Worst Government Programs  (Read 5859 times)

Zhwazi

• Recovering Ex-Anarchocapitalist
    • View Profile
    • Ana.rchist.net
Worst Government Programs
« on: August 12, 2007, 11:29:00 PM »

Taxation isn't an option because I think everyone would vote for that if they could, and it's not what I want to know.

I've been reading and listening to stuff by John Taylor Gatto, a multi-teacher-of-the-year award winner for NYC, and teacher-of-the-year for NY State. He wrote "The Six Lesson Schoolteacher", and I recently found more of his stuff on this page. I am now thoroughly convinced that the public schools are the most destructive government program ever. Worse than a standing military and interventionism and purpetual war. Worse than the Federal Reserve.

What do you think? Poll is set so you can change your vote.

Jason Orr

• View Profile
Re: Worst Government Programs
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 11:30:34 PM »

Public schools, because they justify through bullying and abuse all of the government's crimes.
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money”

--Alexis de Tocqueville

mrapplecastle

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 11:30:35 PM »

war on drugs

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 11:52:58 PM »

Man, so many choices; so many choices. I went with "military," simply because the cost is SO huge that it's the number one thing in the federal budget. And, once having a giant military, there is heavy pressure to make use of it. There is nothing more useless than a peace-time military, so some war or other must always be sought out.

But, the disastrous "war" on drug users is another good candidate. It's cause enormous pain and suffering, brought about a gigantic surge in crime, and ruined the lives of countless Americans. It has brought about a police state in this country.

Government schools would also be a good choice as the worst program. (I hesitate to call it "education," since doing so would imply that some educatin' is actually taking place.) These state factories ruin children's minds, with the goal of keeping them stupid and obedient to government. After 12 years of indoctrination, the young person walks out into the world convinced that all things good and wonderful flow from the mouth of the all-powerful state.
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

velojym

• Mostly Harmless
  • Existence is Theft!!! *drool*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 11:55:19 PM »

Aren't they all merely 'symptoms' of the larger problem anyway?
I can't easily choose just one.

Public schools, I guess, as that's where young ones are taught to accept everything else.
We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force.
-Ayn Rand

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007, 11:55:41 PM »

All of them? 
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

bonerjoe

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 12:23:26 AM »

Zhwazi

• Recovering Ex-Anarchocapitalist
    • View Profile
    • Ana.rchist.net
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2007, 12:54:00 AM »

Prioritize then. I asked which one was worst, not which ones are really really bad.

bonerjoe

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2007, 01:18:13 AM »

Does wealth redistribution inlcude income and profit and school and "essential service" taxes by state and federal governments?

Caveman

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2007, 01:52:49 AM »

Gotta go with the military, its the only government program thats specifically designed for destruction and its outrageous.

AlexLibman

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2007, 03:31:34 AM »

Public Schools.

An evil that can take away your mind, your very essence of existence, is worse than the evil that merely takes away your life, liberty, or property.

AbsurdParadox

• FTL AMPlifier Platinum
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2007, 04:48:43 AM »

I say Federal Reserve, as that allows for the most control, and will ultimately lead to our own demise.

Porcupine_in_MA

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2007, 05:41:09 AM »

I chose "public" schools, I prefer government youth propaganda agencies or government schools. They're the ones that keep generations of Americans raised to be obedient to the government and to believe in the government, without them all the other things wouldn't have been possible.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 11:36:57 AM by Porcupine_in_MA »

NHArticleTen

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2007, 07:39:59 AM »

I'd have to agree that the government indoctrination centers more commonly known as "public schools" are, by far, the worst.

You should have complete control over your child's education...the gooberment should never be involved!

I just became friends with a 30 year veteran of the public school system...
She said that when she started she agreed with compulsory education...
But after all these years she has decided that the bad apples didn't need to be there...

Of course, most of the bad apples were just so bored out of their skulls that they misbehaved just for something to do...

There are millions of horror stories surrounding and involving the public schools...

Pink Floyd had it right...at least as far as government indoctrination centers are concerned...

"We don't need no THOUGHT CONTROL"!

Leave them kids alone!

laur

• FTL Shriner
  • automatic/sytematic
    • View Profile
    • laur(space)
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2007, 08:13:12 AM »

it all starts in the public school system, assuring children these other programs are excellent.
"The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enforced." — Frank Zappa

blog of bile
store of bile
libertyactivism.info wiki
jailedactivist.info
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Worst Government Programs

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 36 queries.