Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  why hyped up moral/safety outrage caused your parents to make you to miss out

Poll

What was you parent irrational (and debunked) fear when you were a kid

Bug Spray that works
Dungeons and Dragons
Heavy metal/rap music
Violent video games
writing/drawing (for violent,sexual or drug related paraphernalia)
candy cigarettes
headphones at a reasonable volume
other (specify, and drinking and smoking don't count)

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: why hyped up moral/safety outrage caused your parents to make you to miss out  (Read 4681 times)

bad_cab

When I was a kid (read under 18) there was a lot of stuff my mom would not let me do. Now I have a son and I was teaching him to play D&D the other day to help him learn math (he is currently 4 and can add and subtract). I remembered when I was a kid my mom did not let me play D&D, she didn't really know what it was and I didn't either but whenever I started playing a game like Magic: the Gathering she would ask "is this game anything like D&D" she calmed the game was satanic and would warp peoples minds, turning them into murders.
   I remember a lot of times teachers or my mom (for the record my dad was there too but he didn't care what I did as long as it was not dangers) would site some bullshit as a reason to not allow something. I remember a classmate being told she had to redo an art project there was a 8-ball on a drawing (the drawing was of a the pool table) and that the 8-ball was a drug symbol. I remember not being able to use bug spray because it could kill me. I remember not being able to play games rated M (unless my dad bought them for me and I kept them hidden) because of the harm they would do to my mind.
   I just felt it was funny that I am raising my son so differently that I was raised and I started to wonder what moral outrage or irrational fear made you miss out on something fun when you were a kid.
   One last note things like drinking, sex, drugs, staying out late and things such as this are really not what I am talking about sure there may be irrational fear involved I am looking for "fear fads" or things that are not as hyped up as they used to be.

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day

None. I grew up in San Fernando Valley during the Fifties and Sixties. By the time I was ten, I pretty much had the run of the town. My parents were like, "Have fun, kid--just don't kill yerself." Which, I nearly did do more than a few times.
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

As a teen, I got the horribly mixed messages of don't do anything... ever. From a woman who didn't exactly try to meet the standards she set. Professed tee-totaller who drank "socially", twice divorced and living in sin - yes, the stereotype. Hear no evil, see no evil, the works.  Stay away from music, movies and outside influences which could affect my virtue. Bible thumping evangelical church messages every day, in addition to all the time spent in church and approved christian teen activities.

As a little kid though, I did have an amazing amount of freedom to roam, as long as the neighborhood moms (or someone's older siblings) had a general idea of where we could be found. Lots of lazy summer afternoons, riding bikes without helmets, complete with candy cigarettes.

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

CaL DaVe

• No hay igual.
  • Que onda guero?
    • View Profile

Drawings:

I used to draw a lot of war scenes. Tanks, bombs, people getting blown to bits. So they took away all my toy guns and military toys, and didn't let me watch Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles or G.I. Joe anymore.  :(

At least my drawings were not as bad as the guy from Superbad.

[youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ikaqYpGZT64&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ikaqYpGZT64&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]
Pocho

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile

As a teen, I got the horribly mixed messages of don't do anything... ever. From a woman who didn't exactly try to meet the standards she set. Professed tee-totaller who drank "socially", twice divorced and living in sin - yes, the stereotype. Hear no evil, see no evil, the works.  Stay away from music, movies and outside influences which could affect my virtue. Bible thumping evangelical church messages every day, in addition to all the time spent in church and approved christian teen activities.

As a little kid though, I did have an amazing amount of freedom to roam, as long as the neighborhood moms (or someone's older siblings) had a general idea of where we could be found. Lots of lazy summer afternoons, riding bikes without helmets, complete with candy cigarettes.

That sounds...interesting.  Amazing you turned out as well-balanced as you seem.   :lol:

My mom was part of the don't do anything...ever crowd as well.  I was raised with the notion that everyone is out to rape and murder me.  It still kind of sticks with me, badly enough.  I have a hard time finding just the right amount of skepticism and paranoia.  I always listened to loud music, pretty much of any variety.  I never played video games - though I remember her trying (but failing) to restrict my viewing of certain horror movies.  Only certain ones though.  To this day she tells me that I can't drink - and I am of age to legally purchase and consume alcohol wherever I feel like it. 

Basically, my mom is weird.  My dad was pretty relaxed.  He did used to tell me that I couldn't date until I'm 30.  I'm relatively sure he was serious too.   :lol:
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions

John Shaw's Childhood - Imagine Calvin. You know, from the comics. Now, imagine him minus Hobbes.

Then imagine him living with, let's say, 99.999% less sympathetic parents.

Imagine how that kid would be treated.

I didn't get out much.
"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile

Uh, none of the above.  As long as I got good grades I pretty much had the run of the town.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile

My mother didn't want me to have black, or Mexican friends. It was whites or Persins only.
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security

I wasnt allowed to have toy guns, so we used sticks instead until we were old enough to be allowed squirt guns (aka water pistols).
Then we moved to the country, I began shooting guns at my Uncles' cabin, and my dad began to hunt deer.
I then got a compound bow and a pellet/BB gun.

My parents have never been racist to my knowledge, but I have never got along well with them so I basically never gave a crap obout any of their other moral/safety stuff.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

davann

Why does smoking and drinking not count? Could you be projecting your own fears that just might be debunked years from now? Will you pass this fear on to your offspring and have them miss out on years of cool menthol enjoyment?

voodoo

• FTL AMPlifier Platinum
    • View Profile

Rolling Stones tickets as a birthday present from an awesome girl I still think of often.

I ended up drinking beer all night in the parking lot with her mother.
"It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself."  ~ Thomas Jefferson: Notes on Virginia Q.XVII, 1782. ME 2:222

Stobrawa

None. I grew up in San Fernando Valley during the Fifties and Sixties. By the time I was ten, I pretty much had the run of the town. My parents were like, "Have fun, kid--just don't kill yerself." Which, I nearly did do more than a few times.

Ditto ... except for the "San Fernando Valley" and "Fifties and Sixties" parts.

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

Ditto ... except for the "San Fernando Valley" and "Fifties and Sixties" parts.

My MIL grew up in that area during the fifties.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

bad_cab

Why does smoking and drinking not count? Could you be projecting your own fears that just might be debunked years from now? Will you pass this fear on to your offspring and have them miss out on years of cool menthol enjoyment?

I for the most part I didn't want to include drugs of any kind because I was worried everyone would post about that and that was not the point of my question. As far as passing the fear down to my son I can't really tell you, that will be for an objective observer to say, I am honest with him when he asks me questions. I don't drink or smoke (any more) so he doesn't really see any of that. I do have worries about sex drug use and I will tell him about that so take that however you want.

SamR

other and drinking and smoking do count
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  why hyped up moral/safety outrage caused your parents to make you to miss out

// ]]>

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 37 queries.