Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Which book is better... Ayn Rand's Anthem, or George Orwell's 1984

Poll

Which book is better... Ayn Rand's Anthem, or George Orwell's 1984

Anthem
- 6 (26.1%)
- 17 (73.9%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: November 27, 2008, 12:26:29 AM

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Which book is better... Ayn Rand's Anthem, or George Orwell's 1984  (Read 7941 times)

miamiballoonguy

• Twisted Balloons For All Occasions
  • Have Balloons, Will Travel!
    • View Profile
    • The Miami Balloon Guy's Home Page
Re: Which book is better... Ayn Rand's Anthem, or George Orwell's 1984
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2007, 09:11:50 AM »

1984 tells an epic story with believable characters, and in the end speaks not a message promoting some ideology, but a warning against our tendencies as men.

Oh my god...  I actually agree with the Eric for the first time...  What is this world coming to...

Although I haven't finished anthem, (I am at the point when he hides in the forest with his invention), There doesn't seem to be much depth to the characters, although I like the way people are named.
"People keep asking me, 'Balloon Guy, what kinds of things can you make?' and I'm like, 'I used to make a Charlie Chaplin balloon, but my Jewish Friends told me to stop making it.  They all thought it looked like Hitler.'

ziggy_encaoua

« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2007, 09:33:23 AM »

1984 as it bears more relation to the world we live in then many realise

Personally I reckon Rand was a kook & overrated

Plus the book to compare 1984 is Aldous Huxley’s Brave New World

I’ll go as far saying that if anybody thinks they’re knowledgeable about politics & they’ve not read 1984 knows nothing.

In my opinion it’s the most important political text written in the 20th century century along with Isaiah Berlin’s ‘Two Concepts of Liberty’.

Hologene Relapse

« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2007, 11:10:21 AM »

Anthem is an epic poem, 1984 is more about people and their reactions to tyranny, so neither are comparable. I like Rand for her ability to make the point about identity, how it's important to being free and I like how Orwell shows how easily people submit themselves to tyranny of their mind as well as their body. Both are good, but for different reasons.

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2007, 11:44:06 AM »

1984 tells an epic story with believable characters, and in the end speaks not a message promoting some ideology, but a warning against our tendencies as men.

Oh my god...  I actually agree with the Eric for the first time...  What is this world coming to...

Although I haven't finished anthem, (I am at the point when he hides in the forest with his invention), There doesn't seem to be much depth to the characters, although I like the way people are named.

I agree with Eric as well.  I mean, for shit's sake...Anthem was a class read in my 7th grade English class.   :shock:
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

miamiballoonguy

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2007, 01:19:06 PM »

I agree with Eric as well.  I mean, for shit's sake...Anthem was a class read in my 7th grade English class.   :shock:

Yeah, I just finished reading it...  1984 is a much better book, but now that I know that Anthem is actually a poem, it makes more sense as to the lack of character development in it along with a few things in it that I was like, 'huh?  Could you have developed this a bit more?'...  It's an OK book, but unlike The Eric, the ending is not, in my opinion, promoting some ideology, but the ending was rather happy...  When he realized what it was to be an individual, the basis for being an individual, etc..

I've just started the fountainhead for the first time as well...  Henry Roark is the man...  Basically telling his professors to F*** off without saying it...  A guy that thinks like I do.  8-)
"People keep asking me, 'Balloon Guy, what kinds of things can you make?' and I'm like, 'I used to make a Charlie Chaplin balloon, but my Jewish Friends told me to stop making it.  They all thought it looked like Hitler.'

Andy

• Verbose.
  • Ask me later.
    • View Profile
    • My Blawg
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2007, 01:31:55 PM »

Plus the book to compare 1984 is Aldous Huxley’s Brave New World

This.

Newspeak, Soma, and As, Bs & Cs, it's everywhere. *shiver*

Personally I reckon Rand was a kook & overrated

Probably true, but being a kook isn't the end of the world, and she's rated highly enough that a little exaggeration seems inevitable.

YixilTesiphon

• FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2007, 02:39:38 PM »

1984, but in the end, Brave New World is the winner among the dystopian literature I've read.

I've got a few more dystopias lined up for winter break, though, so we'll see.
And their kids were hippie chicks - all hypocrites.

ziggy_encaoua

« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2007, 03:19:35 PM »

The Handmaid's Tale is something people have suggested I read but I've not got round to it

One I do suggest is Richard Morgan's Market Forces the politics are bit ambiguous but the plot rocks

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2007, 04:05:03 PM »

1984, but in the end, Brave New World is the winner among the dystopian literature I've read.

Mmmm...Brave New World.  I think I need to pick up a copy at the book store and read it again next week. 
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

Taors

« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2007, 04:48:52 PM »

Yeah, I just finished reading it...  1984 is a much better book, but now that I know that Anthem is actually a poem, it makes more sense as to the lack of character development in it along with a few things in it that I was like, 'huh?  Could you have developed this a bit more?'...  It's an OK book, but unlike The Eric, the ending is not, in my opinion, promoting some ideology, but the ending was rather happy...  When he realized what it was to be an individual, the basis for being an individual, etc..

I've just started the fountainhead for the first time as well...  Henry Roark is the man...  Basically telling his professors to F*** off without saying it...  A guy that thinks like I do.  8-)

Henry Roark?

miamiballoonguy

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2007, 05:53:53 PM »

Henry Roark?

Sorry, Howard Roark...  I got his name confused with henry Reardon from atlas shrugged

Slim

• FTL AMPlifier
  • Freedom Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Silm's Blog "Down With Big Brother"
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2007, 06:25:10 PM »

I enjoyed both of the book but I think 1984 is a better story it just seemed to be more detailed and interesting.
Bet you didn't know that toads came in three flavors. (Disturbing Behavior)
There were two sides to that billboard and they both hurt equally. (40 Year Old Virgin)

burnthebeautiful

« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2007, 07:08:39 PM »

Nobody ever talks about Anthem, it's always about Atlas Shrugged and Fountainhead. I don't even know what Anthem is about. Is it less 'epic' than Atlas Shrugged and Fountainhead?

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2007, 07:10:22 PM »

Nobody ever talks about Anthem, it's always about Atlas Shrugged and Fountainhead. I don't even know what Anthem is about. Is it less 'epic' than Atlas Shrugged and Fountainhead?

Very much so less epic. 
         -George W. Bush

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2007, 07:50:30 PM »

Anthem is a novella, which is one reason why it's sort of unfair to compare it to Orwell's book.

Another Rand novel seldom mentioned is We, The Living, her semi-autobiographical novel set in post-revolutionary Russia.
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Which book is better... Ayn Rand's Anthem, or George Orwell's 1984

// ]]>

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 37 queries.