Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  What was Jesus?

Poll

What was Jesus?

God
- 2 (3%)
Christ
- 4 (6.1%)
Son of God
- 5 (7.6%)
Prophet
- 6 (9.1%)
None of the above
- 46 (69.7%)
All of the above
- 3 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: What was Jesus?  (Read 25418 times)

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
Re: What was Jesus?
« Reply #105 on: January 04, 2007, 10:48:10 AM »

How can something that did not have a starting point exist?

As finite beings, it is impossible for us to visualize infinities. Nevertheless, they can, and do, exist--god or no god.
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

aquabanianskakid

« Reply #106 on: January 04, 2007, 09:01:37 PM »

Applause... I  find often that I give you applause Mike.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #107 on: January 04, 2007, 09:09:29 PM »

He's right. 

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 04, 2007, 11:25:16 PM »

As finite beings, it is impossible for us to visualize infinities. Nevertheless, they can, and do, exist--god or no god.
Do you mean like the inifinite scope of the universe, by definition literally encompassing all things that exist?  The Universe only describes everything.  Seems counterintuitive to reduce everything to an "only", but everything that exists in the universe can only exist for a finite amount of time, except of course the entirety of the system, which would be most easily defined as God.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Bill Brasky

« Reply #109 on: January 05, 2007, 07:02:17 PM »

I'll be over at Fark.  Shut the lights off when you're done.

Cult_Rox

« Reply #110 on: January 05, 2007, 10:45:18 PM »

Infinity stretches in all directions, both negative and positive.  If something has no end, it cannot have a beginning.  Otherwise, it is finite. 
infinite things can have a beginning or an end.  take a number line for example.  imagine that a line covers every value greater than 4.  well then it would begin at 4 and go on forever, making it infinite. but not values less than 4 would be covered by that line.

Just dont ask me what this has to do with jesus.

ReverendRyan

« Reply #111 on: January 05, 2007, 11:01:14 PM »

Infinity stretches in all directions, both negative and positive.  If something has no end, it cannot have a beginning.  Otherwise, it is finite. 
infinite things can have a beginning or an end.  take a number line for example.  imagine that a line covers every value greater than 4.  well then it would begin at 4 and go on forever, making it infinite. but not values less than 4 would be covered by that line.

A line, by its very definition, has no starting or ending point. but that's just semantics.

Comparing 2-dimensional situations to a 3- or 4-dimensional world is useless. We're talking infinitely higher hierarchies of infinities here.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #112 on: January 06, 2007, 01:24:08 AM »

Im not a math whiz.  But I think thats a plane.  You have chosen a representative starting point and went off into infinity in a "Y" direction, but it is understood that the line goes backward through "Y" minus four, and so on, through zero, into the negatives, also for infinity. 

Where the fux Bridget? 

Johnny_

« Reply #113 on: January 06, 2007, 03:37:34 AM »

Food for thought:

Think of the atom.  It obeys certain laws of physics, and it also has it's own set.  The "atom" lives in the same existence as we do, yet the world from the prospective of an atom is completely different from our worldview. 

What if, we are atoms.  What if the universe is part of something bigger (ie: other dimensions?)?  I'm not talking about the whole "universe is under the fingernail of a giant" thing because that's still an analogy based on our known physics and consciousness level.  What if, the mechanics of the universe were so complex that it's just as likely for an atom to understand humans as it is for us to understand the universe.  We're just a rung on a ladder here.  It goes down and down to atoms, and the particles that make atoms, and down and down until you're at just energy, and it goes down from there.  Likewise, it goes up, to planets, galaxies, and universe(s).  As humans, we don't have the capacity to see all the way down, and I don't think we have the capacity to understand what is many rungs above us.  And I don't think we can see what's all the way up in our 4-dimension world.

So do I think there is a God?  Hell no.  The idea that the top of the ladder is some mythical creature that behaves like us seems unlikely to me.  But I don't think the universe is all there is; instead it's only what we have the capacity to see and understand.  For all we know, the universe is just the brief moments after some sort of (what seems to us) giant "chemical" reaction.

To me, it's pretty apparent that we'll never know the true nature of the universe we live in. 

Bill Brasky

« Reply #114 on: January 06, 2007, 05:11:03 AM »

I gave my love a cherry
 that had no stone
I gave my love a chicken
that had no bone...

Hey!  what the fu...

SMASH SMASH SMASH

Uhm, sorry bout that..
here ya go   *shrug*

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 06, 2007, 12:41:05 PM »

How can God exist, then?

Bill Brasky

« Reply #116 on: January 06, 2007, 06:16:59 PM »

Maybe god created itself, and THEN the starting point. 

Gotta think outside the box there Rillion, if you're gonna match wits with the witless. 

ladyattis

« Reply #117 on: January 06, 2007, 10:40:51 PM »

Im not a math whiz.  But I think thats a plane.  You have chosen a representative starting point and went off into infinity in a "Y" direction, but it is understood that the line goes backward through "Y" minus four, and so on, through zero, into the negatives, also for infinity. 

Where the fux Bridget? 

When an equation reduces in size or increases in size, per its number, as it comes near a point on any graph, this is known as an asymptote. What is funny about these things is that they approach infinity, but in and of themselves never reach it. What infinity implies is that there is no quantity large enough or small enough to reach it, thus making it 'infinite' or non-finite in size. Luckily, this doesn't really matter to us because we're finite, and the existence of anything infinite doesn't invalidate or validate our own existence. It just simply proves that things that are infinite can be approximated mathematically as to better understand them.

-- Bridget

Bill Brasky

« Reply #118 on: January 06, 2007, 10:59:39 PM »

Is...  er..  basically saying you cannot represent infinity mathematically because in its true sense, there is no way to write an equation with absolutes that reaches an infinite conclusion? 

ladyattis

« Reply #119 on: January 06, 2007, 11:05:07 PM »

Is...  er..  basically saying you cannot represent infinity mathematically because in its true sense, there is no way to write an equation with absolutes that reaches an infinite conclusion? 

You can, it's called taking the equation's limit to infinity and you get either a slope constant or an equation that becomes the derivative.

Like limit (n -> infinity) 2x^2+4 = 2x^2/x^2 + 4/x^2 = 2 + 0 per the rules of infinite limits.

limit (n -> infinity) 2x + 1 = 2x/x + 1/x = 2 + 0 per the rules of infinite limits.

Now you notice that both give you the same answer? That's because even though both are different in degree in the power of x, both are the same in respect to positive infinity per the slope. So that number gives you the answer for what approximates as where your equations will hit infinity.

-- Bridget
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 11:12:17 PM by ladyattis »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  What was Jesus?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 36 queries.