Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  What Vehicle(s) Are You Driving On The Interwebs?

Poll

MAC versus PC, who's using what...one, the other, and/or both

MAC
- 1 (5.6%)
OTHER
- 9 (50%)
MAC(more than one)
- 1 (5.6%)
OTHER(more than one)
- 4 (22.2%)
MAC and OTHER
- 1 (5.6%)
MAC and OTHER(mix and match multiples)
- 2 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What Vehicle(s) Are You Driving On The Interwebs?  (Read 1996 times)

NHArticleTen

What Vehicle(s) Are You Driving On The Interwebs?
« on: September 02, 2008, 02:09:33 PM »

What Vehicle Are You Driving On The Interwebs?

inquiring minds want to know...

others, not so much...

go figure...

Kevin Freeheart

• FTL AMPlifier Gold
    • View Profile
Re: What Vehicle(s) Are You Driving On The Interwebs?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 02:17:38 PM »

Macs are personal computers (PC), I'm not sure how to respond in the poll.

What do you mean by "PC" and what do you mean by "Mac"?
Quote from: John Shaw
Libman was setting you up. You see, he's a resident troll, which means that while I hate him passionately and wish him great harm, he's ONE OF OURS. You are a pathetic interloper who will fade away in a few weeks at most.

NHArticleTen

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 02:21:14 PM »

Macs are personal computers (PC), I'm not sure how to respond in the poll.

What do you mean by "PC" and what do you mean by "Mac"?

fixed...

blackie

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 02:32:27 PM »

Where is the "yo mama" option?

Kevin Freeheart

• FTL AMPlifier Gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 02:32:53 PM »

Mac OS X (10.5) on this computer (Not an Apple) and dual booting Debian Linux.

Debian Linux at home on my main PC, LinuxMint on my wife's. My fileserver runs Debian Linux. One of my phones runs Linux and Qtopia, the other one runs Openmoko, which is also a Linux variation.

No clue what runs on my routers.
Libman was setting you up. You see, he's a resident troll, which means that while I hate him passionately and wish him great harm, he's ONE OF OURS. You are a pathetic interloper who will fade away in a few weeks at most.

NHArticleTen

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 03:14:29 PM »

Mac OS X (10.4) - Apple laptop
XP - Toshiba laptop
Ubuntu 8.04LTS - frankenlaptopbox
Puppy Linux - frankenbox
Damn Small Linux - another frankenbox

amidst the scattered and charred remains of the most recent lab explosion...

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 03:36:55 PM »

I've got four computers that I regularly use. Two are desktops running Windows XP, one is a laptop with XP, and the other is a newer laptop running the crappy Vista. However, I'm in the process of obtaining a copy of XP to put on it.

I'm also considering putting Linux on my older desktop.
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

NHArticleTen

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 03:44:39 PM »

for those who aren't hardware savvy I'd add that the easiest and quickest way to "run faster" is to max out your RAM.
the second most common traffic jam is just that...too many programs fighting over the RAM...solution is to shut down anything/everything that you don't need.

for those still on dial-up(I know...it's hard to believe)...get the big pipe(broadband) and...yep...you know it...ENJOY!
(DSL in your area may, or may not...be up to the "big pipe" task...buyer beware as always)

trollfreezone

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 04:07:57 PM »

I use Mac and "other," but I don't trust "other" on the interwebs.

Kevin Freeheart

• FTL AMPlifier Gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 04:14:38 PM »

for those who aren't hardware savvy I'd add that the easiest and quickest way to "run faster" is to max out your RAM.
the second most common traffic jam is just that...too many programs fighting over the RAM...solution is to shut down anything/everything that you don't need.

for those still on dial-up(I know...it's hard to believe)...get the big pipe(broadband) and...yep...you know it...ENJOY!
(DSL in your area may, or may not...be up to the "big pipe" task...buyer beware as always)

I dunno if I'd agree. I could be super technical and get into specifics, but generally I'd say that the "average" American hit's a break even point with hardware sold in the last two years. I've got one of the fastest internet connections in my area and my wife's PC (AMD Sempron 2800+ *32-bit!* with 768 MB of RAM and IDE hard drives) is slowed considerably by the fact that the internet simply sucks.

I'd personally put my money into a faster internet connection than more hardware especially if your computer is more than about three years old (in which case the rarity begins increasing price for parts).

NHArticleTen

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008, 04:39:30 PM »

I dunno if I'd agree. I could be super technical and get into specifics, but generally I'd say that the "average" American hit's a break even point with hardware sold in the last two years. I've got one of the fastest internet connections in my area and my wife's PC (AMD Sempron 2800+ *32-bit!* with 768 MB of RAM and IDE hard drives) is slowed considerably by the fact that the internet simply sucks.

I'd personally put my money into a faster internet connection than more hardware especially if your computer is more than about three years old (in which case the rarity begins increasing price for parts).

with respect to what a person currently has...if it isn't "topped out" on the RAM they might suffer...and a stick or two of RAM won't set you back as much as a new machine or changing to a faster interweb connection...

my best advice to someone with...say 500 bucks to spend...bank it against a year's worth of broadband and do everything you can to scrounge up a decent frankenbox...

even better...scope out a laptop with some form of wifi and just use the wifi you find locally(like at the local coffee shop, etc.)...or at the library and what-not...

my frankenlaptopbox was a broken hand-off from a local that needs a $10.00 CCFL backlight installed before it could once again become "portable"...for my usage it got the lid ripped off and the bottom shoved up against a nice large older monitor...scrounged up a wifi card to stuff in the slot and off to the interwebs we go...

the "gimmes" I like best are the boxes that have flamed out...especially the ones that made the genie come out of the box(smoked)...this is almost always a power-supply issue and is an easy cheap fix where the internals are rarely damaged...

all in all it's nice to be able to pound on the boards and mice with reckless abandonment...knowing there are always more where those came from...

Level 20 Anklebiter

• Small, but deadly
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 06:55:57 PM »

One box, dual boot. XP Professional (32bit) and Ubuntu (Hardy Heron 32bit).
I hear thunder but there's no rain, this kind of thunder breaks walls and window pane

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2008, 09:21:16 PM »

This is a terrible poll
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Taors

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2008, 06:08:01 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  What Vehicle(s) Are You Driving On The Interwebs?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 52 queries.