Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  What to do with BenTucker?

Poll

What should we do with this thorn in our side?

Leave him be, he represents valuable opposition
- 11 (28.2%)
Don't respond to his posts, because it gets us nowhere
- 9 (23.1%)
Put him on ignore, to reduce the signal-to-noise ratio
- 7 (17.9%)
Make his life miserable, God knows he's done it to us
- 4 (10.3%)
Petition Ian and Mark to ban him, he is basically a spammer
- 3 (7.7%)
Hunt him down and kill him, he's compelled us to labor for our existence for too damn long!!
- 5 (12.8%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: What to do with BenTucker?  (Read 35444 times)

Taors

Re: What to do with BenTucker?
« Reply #105 on: January 09, 2007, 01:35:28 AM »

Anime sucks.

Yes, I was into anime.

Yes, I was a fan of Japanese subtitles.

Yes, I was a fan of non-mainstream anime.

Yes, I was into all that goofy shit...

in the 6th grade.

Judging by your statement, I'm implying that you mean "Cartoons are only for kids"

Why?  Back that statement up a little.  I'm very curious.

I'm just relating to you my experiences with anime. Anime in particular, not all cartoons. I still love cartoons (i.e. The Simpsons, Futurama, Family Guy, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, etc.), just not anime. It's lame. It seems to me that mostly kids and middle aged weirdos are into that shit nowadays.

It seems to me you are wrong.  People who browse/post on forum all day long are usually wierd highschool students and/or middle aged weirdos who lack sufficient physical social relationships, and can only achieve them through posting in forums.  You depend on forums for social interaction, as with many other people.

With 4000+ posts, Taors, clearly one of your hobbies is posting/browsing forums.  One of my hobbies is actually watching anime.  What makes your hobby any less childish and/or better than mine?

You can think I'm wrong all you want, I don't care. People post in this forum because they're surrounded by like minded individuals that might not be around them in their personal, daily lives, and this is the only way they can have discussions with them.

Your hobby involves watching some shitty cartoons that try too hard to be adult or 'hardcore'. My hobby is interacting with people of a like mind. And it's not hard to get 4000 posts here. That's been over the span of half a year.

EternityAblaze

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 09, 2007, 01:40:49 AM »

There is a cartoon called "Aqua Teen Hunger Force"? Or is that a joke?

Nope, there really is.  It is another example of the low budget crappy animation apparent in the United States.  Its crappy production is due to the prevailing opinion that "cartoons are only for children" thus creating the lack interest most Americans have in animations/cartoons.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #107 on: January 09, 2007, 01:51:19 AM »

I have seen the argument of why anime sucks a thousand times and its always based upon the same animes. 

Hi, welcome to reality.  My name is Bill and I will be your guide. 

This argument you are about to hear is based on nothing but pure and simple logic.  It has nothing to do with a list of mainstream animes and the ones that are otherwise cultish and superior, according to the fans of this form of media.

Anime sucks.  I dont say it is stupid.  I dont say it is without talent.  I simply say it sucks.  It is a cartoon.  In my mind, it is the equivilant of any other cartoon, and since I have seen many cartoons that hold my limited interest in animation for the length of their plot, and I have seen anime (and cant name one damn title) I have arrived at the conclusion it is not of my liking, I have no interest in the subtleties and quirky fan-based nuances of this artform. 

Art is to be viewed by people who appreciate the medium, and THEN they derive the complexities of the plot and the specific illustrators/storywriters creation.  Since I have no interest in observing the medium, I wont spend the countless hours reviewing dozens if not hundreds of CARTOONS to determine which ones are worthy of praise, and which are truely shit. 

I have better things to do with my time, money, interests, and the like than to sit there and watch fucking cartoons.  Maybe I am sitting here whittling away a few hours, but I also have other pages open.  I am currently planning a trip, I have plans on studying some material later tonight or tomorrow which will help me arrive at my next station in life.  I'm having a couple beers, listening to some tunes, smoking a cig, reading the news, and I've got a wiki page open, my calculator is fired up, and I'm about to go take a piss.

Theres plenty of subject matter that irks me around here, and if I like or dislike something, I speak my mind, and thats it.  If it comes to a personal attack, I will respond, but otherwise, I have no inclinations on defending a form of media that is a personal preference.  Because its a choice.  Its a form of entertainment.  It is not the holy grail.  It is not a matter of philosophy or ideology or abusing people or in any way an infringement of my liberty. 

So, go watch your cartoons, AND dont try to rabidly ram your fucking rediculous interests up an unwilling participants ass.

EternityAblaze

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 09, 2007, 01:58:25 AM »

I wasn't trying to ram anything up anyones asses.  But when people make generalizations upon subject matter they know nothing about, its a bit annoying.  I know nothing about the stock market, but I don't go around saying its for nerds or rich people only.  I also have no interest in football or any other sport, but I don't go around saying that its gay, boring and intended for intellectually challenged jocks.

Although I think these things, I don't go around bashing it, ramming my opinions up other peoples asses.  You, however, go around bashing other interests that you have no interest in, thus you are guilty of ramming your opinion up other's asses.

gandhi2

« Reply #109 on: January 09, 2007, 02:14:26 AM »

Man, this thread has definitely reached the Godwin's law point.

I'm trying to make the anime debate a valuable case study of differing opinions within a community, which is founded on some central ideal, thereby tying back to my original statements.

I'm at a loss on how to do this.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #110 on: January 09, 2007, 02:15:45 AM »

Im not ramming anything.  Its an opinion that is equally valid to yours.

Example:  It comes up in convo, my opinion.  "Anime sucks".  Are you the anime police, ready and willing to argue why it doesnt suck?  Why?  You're not gonna change my opinion, although your opinion is valid, you've taken an oppositional standpoint to refute mine.  It is unsolicited.  All you are doing is offering your opinion in a way to suggest mine is wrong.  It is an issue of personal preferences, and as such, when one person states his opinion while you are entitled to yours, you were not involved in the original dialogue.  Both you and Earthworm went on the attack trying to systematically list the reasons why my opinion would be invalidated. 

You cannot do that.  A list of your likes only serves to illustrate the basis of your opinion, it is ineffective and overbearing on your part to attempt to use that list as proof of your opinions validity...  Unless you are arguing among peers who appreciate your particular form of entertainment, anime in this case, and you are arguing which one is best. 

Its like saying Rock music sucks, and then you refute that statement by listing all the good rock albums you know.  So what?  I still think rock sucks, and no matter how many great albums you list, I will still think rock sucks and will prefer classical. 

(Note, rock doesnt suck)

Bill Brasky

« Reply #111 on: January 09, 2007, 02:19:34 AM »

Man, this thread has definitely reached the Godwin's law point.

I'm trying to make the anime debate a valuable case study of differing opinions within a community, which is founded on some central ideal, thereby tying back to my original statements.

I'm at a loss on how to do this.

Use of the list, five yard penalty. 

EternityAblaze

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 09, 2007, 02:24:45 AM »

Bill Brasky, while your last post is mostly correct, do you not agree that sharing opinions and defending opinions is the very essence of debate?  Otherwise why would debates exist in the first place?

Oh and I understand that my views are solely my views and yours are solely yours.  But when someone makes brash comments on subject matter they are foreign to, they are possibly deterring newcomers from developing an interest to that same subject matter.

Edited my post to better word myself.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 02:28:22 AM by EternityAblaze »

gandhi2

« Reply #113 on: January 09, 2007, 02:27:12 AM »

Use of the list, five yard penalty.
It's that bastard non-conformist Earthwormzim.  Let's go get our economic rent from him.  Dispossess me of my right to hate, will you?

Can we get back to bashing BT?  That part was fun.

But when someone makes brash comments on subject matter they are foreign to, they are possibly deterring newcomers to similar interests.
Don't take it personal.  That's just Brasky.

EternityAblaze

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 09, 2007, 02:31:23 AM »

Sorry, but I did edit my last post a little late. My bad.

Anyways, lets be reminded that this topics derailment came from a personal attack upon Earthworm's interests, mainly because his avatar was depicting a "childish cartoon" in an attempt to discredit his view that the original point of this topic was childish.

gandhi2

« Reply #115 on: January 09, 2007, 02:33:15 AM »

Anyways, lets be reminded that this topics derailment came from a personal attack upon Earthworm's interests, mainly because his avatar was depicting a "childish cartoon"
Oh.  That wasn't me.  I was only trying to point out the object of my post wasn't to bash BT, no matter how fun or popular it is, and then all of the sudden, anime talk.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #116 on: January 09, 2007, 02:47:24 AM »

Bill Brasky, while your last post is mostly correct, do you not agree that sharing opinions and defending opinions is the very essence of debate?  Otherwise why would debates exist in the first place?

Oh and I understand that my views are solely my views and yours are solely yours.  But when someone makes brash comments on subject matter they are foreign to, they are possibly deterring newcomers from developing an interest to that same subject matter.

Edited my post to better word myself.

Look at the argument, how it formed and where it eventually led.

I flared Earthworm.  He comes in saying how its lame and childish to bust a guys balls, when this thread was purely a rag session. 

So, I look at his avatar, and say "so is anime" .  (Page 3)

Jenny burned the barn down.  He goes off, and I still think it sucks.  He then tells me I'm confused and thinking of hentai.  I'm not.  He obviously is.  Voices chime in from the left and right, I still think it sucks.  You enter and list the whole fucking world of anime...  and I still think it sucks. 

So, instead of saying "nah, you suck, anime is cool." and letting it die after a few back-and-forths, now we've got six pages dedicated to how bad anime sucks, and a few guys who look like they like to paint their toenails. 

I threw it around a little, sure.  But dont blame me for making this form of media look creepy and obsessed.  You did that all on your own. 

"American cartoons are for lowlifes, you dont understand animation and ...."  give it a fucking rest.  Its a cartoon.  You like it, fine.  I dont.  Youre not gonna win any fans by explaining how fucking stupid all these people are because they like to laugh at an episode of Drawn Together.  I think Southpark is innovative and expresses some interesting viewpoints.  I'm not gonna lose my cookies if you were to say "Southpark blows".  Great, you dislike it.  Heres my huge list of why it doesnt blow:

1) cause I like it. 

See?  Not all insane, not demanding to be taken seriously as a fine piece of satirical humor, ad infinitum. 

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 09, 2007, 04:47:32 AM »

Ben has some misconceptions about what the purpose of this board is.  He by far has the most negative karma, draws the most fire, and takes the most floor time, so I thought I'd ask people what we should do about it.
What is the purpose of this board by the way?
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 09, 2007, 04:49:43 AM »

Why not just go to NH and visit him?  He lives less than an hour drive from where the New Hampshire Liberty Forum will be held.

Thanks but no thanks. I'll be going to the Liberty Forum and skipping Mr. BT's home, fun though that might be.  :lol:

Are you kidding, I'm gonna camp on his lawn. Payback's a bitch.
That would be a great way to prove his argument wrong when he comes out to kick you off of it.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

BenTucker

« Reply #119 on: January 09, 2007, 07:08:46 AM »

Why not just go to NH and visit him?  He lives less than an hour drive from where the New Hampshire Liberty Forum will be held.

Thanks but no thanks. I'll be going to the Liberty Forum and skipping Mr. BT's home, fun though that might be.  :lol:

Are you kidding, I'm gonna camp on his lawn. Payback's a bitch.
That would be a great way to prove his argument wrong when he comes out to kick you off of it.

I have exclusive use because I do pay my economic rent...
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  What to do with BenTucker?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 37 queries.