Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  What to do with BenTucker?

Poll

What should we do with this thorn in our side?

Leave him be, he represents valuable opposition
- 11 (28.2%)
Don't respond to his posts, because it gets us nowhere
- 9 (23.1%)
Put him on ignore, to reduce the signal-to-noise ratio
- 7 (17.9%)
Make his life miserable, God knows he's done it to us
- 4 (10.3%)
Petition Ian and Mark to ban him, he is basically a spammer
- 3 (7.7%)
Hunt him down and kill him, he's compelled us to labor for our existence for too damn long!!
- 5 (12.8%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: What to do with BenTucker?  (Read 35441 times)

Earthwormzim

Re: What to do with BenTucker?
« Reply #75 on: January 08, 2007, 12:12:31 PM »

Haha!  Too bad Studio Ghibli films were all originally Japanese anime (and completely unrelated to Disney).  All Disney did was take a boat load of big name Hollywood actors, and dub over the original Japanese voice tracks.  That hardly counts as an actual Disney production.
The mediums are miles apart.  And it doesn't matter, both America and Japan outsources most the tweens to Korea anyways.  Hollywood animation was built for something different...and it's quite good at what it does.  Not to mention that both sides of the fence have contributed additions to the medium...take for example Iron Giant...excellent aesthetic, great technique and combining the digital effects with the character animation.  Probably my biggest issue with virtually all of anime is that it's got about 4-5 archetypal styles, and that's it.  Hollywood animation is constantly forced to redefine the medium, because audiences don't want to see the same chibi/bishou/shounen stuff.  Most of the bread and butter stuff from afar adds very little valuable contributions.  I wish that some day, somebody would take Inoe's brillaint style of Vagabond and make some anime that captured the aesthetic.

Oh, and might I add...even the big name Hollywood act are fucking terrible at voice acting.  Every one of Ghibli's productions are 100 times better with the original Japanese voice tracks.
Ok, dude.  I thought that the American dubs were quite fantastic, myself.  I don't prescribe to the entire "sub or die" mentality.  1) If I don't speak Japanese, and didn't grow up in Japan, I'm going to lose out on oodles of subtle cultural references that inevitably, the subtitles totally slaughter in the translation.
2) So much of Japanese language is incredibly subtle, and often words take the place of auditory cues.
3) A good English read will emphasize the words with emotion, something that is rarely found beyond the standard character archetypes in Japanese voice acting.

Hold on, wait a minute....I just realized that I don't care.  Why am I talking about this?

Not only do American dubs typically feature terrible acting, the physical "sound" of the voice overs are way off.  Americans are hooked on this "always in stereo, in your ear" sound, and it is fucking terrible.  In American animations, no matter how far a character is away from the camera/viewer's position, or how noisy the surroundings are, you always hear the voices as clear as day, which makes it seem all the more unrealistic, even if the acting is decent.  Which points to another factor:  the shitty directing.  If the director is not smart enough to recognize this as an important factor, then the quality of the production is degraded.

And as for the subtle cultural references that you point out, typically the subbers will include foot-notes at the top of the screen if they feel that there is a reference that is needed to understand the situation, such as plays on similar sounding words, which don't sound similar in English.  Overall, I've never found this to be a problem.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 12:15:42 PM by Earthwormzim »

mrapplecastle

« Reply #76 on: January 08, 2007, 12:24:08 PM »

i liked ninja scroll
and i thought princess mononoke was ok

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #77 on: January 08, 2007, 12:39:21 PM »

But a well-composed cartoon IS more than just putting pen to paper.
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

mrapplecastle

« Reply #78 on: January 08, 2007, 12:39:43 PM »

Cartoons aren't artistic. There's nothing artistic about anime, cartoons, comics or manga. Or maybe I'm one of those crazy bastards that thinks art is about more than putting pen to paper.
so what is artistic?

goten1201

« Reply #79 on: January 08, 2007, 12:48:00 PM »

Cartoons aren't artistic. There's nothing artistic about anime, cartoons, comics or manga. Or maybe I'm one of those crazy bastards that thinks art is about more than putting pen to paper.
so what is artistic?

A rocketship made of dicks crashing into a building of dicks  like on aquateenhungerforce.......

Taors

« Reply #80 on: January 08, 2007, 01:51:59 PM »

mrapplecastle

« Reply #81 on: January 08, 2007, 02:56:56 PM »

A rocketship made of dicks crashing into a building of dicks like on aquateenhungerforce.......
that was awesome

these are cartoons

Bill Brasky

« Reply #82 on: January 08, 2007, 07:00:21 PM »

Bill Brasky...give me a couple examples of modern anime that you have seen on which you base your opinion.  Cartoon Network animes are acceptable (like Dragonball Z, Naruto, One Peace) but will weaken your stance, being that they all really do suck, and are intended for a younger audience (which is why they are on Cartoon Network).

Cyro, too...just a couple.

They are cartoons.  Their purpose is entertainment.  Look, man-  I watch about three or four REAL movies a year.  Cartoons are twenty minutes long, make you laugh, and change the channel.  I couldnt name the best sitcom on TV, the best drama, or whats currently in the movies.  I ...  Dont ...  Care.   

I like the news, I like to talk to people if I can find interesting people to talk to.  I like the 'net.  I like stand-up comedy.  I like to see what people do and wonder why they do it if the reasons arent immediately visible.  I like card tricks and magic acts.  You'll notice all these things arent really able to be edited.  They happen mostly in real time, and it takes a talented performer to pull these things off...  With the exception of the net, where peoples creativity can be slowly tweaked and prodded until it provides some unique results. 

I'm not saying anime is completely devoid of talent.  I'm saying it's lame.  You're asking me to list a list that doesnt exist, because I see this quiff on my TV or on the net, and I might watch for a few minutes, and think "this is lame."  and away it goes.  Its like watching golf.  You would more likely catch me staring at a wall than watching anime.  But I wouldnt really be staring at it, I'd be visualizing where the studs are inside it, and how I would build a window in that wall, where the structural defects might be, where the wires and plumbing are, what the angle of vision from the neighbors house would be, where the sunlight would slant through, how it would look from the outside... 

Earthwormzim

« Reply #83 on: January 08, 2007, 07:21:16 PM »

Bill Brasky...give me a couple examples of modern anime that you have seen on which you base your opinion.  Cartoon Network animes are acceptable (like Dragonball Z, Naruto, One Peace) but will weaken your stance, being that they all really do suck, and are intended for a younger audience (which is why they are on Cartoon Network).

Cyro, too...just a couple.

They are cartoons.  Their purpose is entertainment.  Look, man-  I watch about three or four REAL movies a year.  Cartoons are twenty minutes long, make you laugh, and change the channel.  I couldnt name the best sitcom on TV, the best drama, or whats currently in the movies.  I ...  Dont ...  Care.   

I like the news, I like to talk to people if I can find interesting people to talk to.  I like the 'net.  I like stand-up comedy.  I like to see what people do and wonder why they do it if the reasons arent immediately visible.  I like card tricks and magic acts.  You'll notice all these things arent really able to be edited.  They happen mostly in real time, and it takes a talented performer to pull these things off...  With the exception of the net, where peoples creativity can be slowly tweaked and prodded until it provides some unique results. 

I'm not saying anime is completely devoid of talent.  I'm saying it's lame.  You're asking me to list a list that doesnt exist, because I see this quiff on my TV or on the net, and I might watch for a few minutes, and think "this is lame."  and away it goes.  Its like watching golf.  You would more likely catch me staring at a wall than watching anime.  But I wouldnt really be staring at it, I'd be visualizing where the studs are inside it, and how I would build a window in that wall, where the structural defects might be, where the wires and plumbing are, what the angle of vision from the neighbors house would be, where the sunlight would slant through, how it would look from the outside... 

So, basically...what you are saying is that after a mere couple minutes superficial glance, you are ready and willing to dismiss something, without question.  Sounds pretty narrow-minded to me.

Also, animes, unlike American cartoons, don't typically have plots that can be summed up in a single 23 minute episode.  Anime has the advantage of having many, many episodes on which to develop the plot, and characters and their personalities.  And to be honest with you, the character development that anime is able to take advantage of is one of the qualities it has that dwarfs even that that is seen in American block-buster movies. 

Most animes are 13 or 26 episodes long (1 or 2 seasons), and they use all of these episodes to develop the characters, and to develop the central plot.  Hell, my personal favorite anime is 84 episodes long...and I must say that it would be impossible for any American movie company to squeeze all of the events that make up the plot.

Americans have very small attention spans, apparently.  If an entire plot can't be squeezed into 2 hours or less, then Hollywood is not interested (usually)...and because of this, American productions are forced to rely on stock personalities in story lines so that they don't have to develop the qualities of the characters, and if there are too many events to squeeze in the two hour time frame, a lot of cuts have to be made to the original story as to make it so that it will fit...and all of this works together to destroy the possibility of having really great, deep, rich story-lines.

Watching a wall would have a significantly less developed plot, so I guess it would be perfect for you.

aquabanianskakid

« Reply #84 on: January 08, 2007, 07:29:33 PM »

I hated anime when I was in college. Now I like it. Go figure. Several of the ones I watch are far better than most TV series.

ladyattis

« Reply #85 on: January 08, 2007, 07:57:05 PM »

I hate most anime and manga since most of it is just like American cartoons, full of crap cliches. I need something with substance like Wings of Honnemise and Princess Monoke. And what not.

-- Bridget

aquabanianskakid

« Reply #86 on: January 08, 2007, 08:02:11 PM »

Ugh Pfff girly shit.

ladyattis

« Reply #87 on: January 08, 2007, 08:06:14 PM »

Ugh Pfff girly shit.
Right... WoH is only about a young man that becomes the first person of his world to travel to space and what not. And Princess Monoke is just about Man's conflict with Nature. :lol:

-- Bridget

aquabanianskakid

« Reply #88 on: January 08, 2007, 08:09:20 PM »

Girrrrrly Shit. :)

ladyattis

« Reply #89 on: January 08, 2007, 08:10:12 PM »

Girrrrrly Shit. :)

So Bladerunner is girly? :)

-- Bridget
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  What to do with BenTucker?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 37 queries.