Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  What to do with BenTucker?

Poll

What should we do with this thorn in our side?

Leave him be, he represents valuable opposition
- 11 (28.2%)
Don't respond to his posts, because it gets us nowhere
- 9 (23.1%)
Put him on ignore, to reduce the signal-to-noise ratio
- 7 (17.9%)
Make his life miserable, God knows he's done it to us
- 4 (10.3%)
Petition Ian and Mark to ban him, he is basically a spammer
- 3 (7.7%)
Hunt him down and kill him, he's compelled us to labor for our existence for too damn long!!
- 5 (12.8%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: What to do with BenTucker?  (Read 35442 times)

goten1201

Re: What to do with BenTucker?
« Reply #60 on: January 08, 2007, 09:51:12 AM »

theres not really a point to banning.  i don't like him, her, it.  but i find it funny to read the warped views of a megalomaniac, lets me know what opposition is going to be like  in the real world.

Earthwormzim

« Reply #61 on: January 08, 2007, 11:03:17 AM »

Anime is an art form that combines the best in quality animation, music, and story-telling. 

Yes, those 3 minute stills with badly dubbed voice overs are a wonder to behold.

You obviously watch the American dubs.  No wonder you hold this opinion.  Subtitles are the way to go. 
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 11:04:52 AM by Earthwormzim »

Earthwormzim

« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2007, 11:06:18 AM »

Anime is an art form that combines the best in quality animation, music, and story-telling. 

Yes, those 3 minute stills with badly dubbed voice overs are a wonder to behold.

How bout them speedracer scenes with the screeching monkey and the open mouthed guy

twisting

the

wheel

If Speedracer is what you base your opinion of anime on, then your opinion is about 20-30 years outdated.  Yeah, early anime was pretty bad, I agree.

Earthwormzim

« Reply #63 on: January 08, 2007, 11:09:28 AM »

You obviously watch the American dubs.  No wonder you hold this opinion.  Subtitles are the way to go. 

No, seen those too. The animation still sucked. The only decent film I saw was Akira.

If all that I had seen was "Akira," then I'd have a negative opinion of anime as well. 

Bill Brasky...give me a couple examples of modern anime that you have seen on which you base your opinion.  Cartoon Network animes are acceptable (like Dragonball Z, Naruto, One Peace) but will weaken your stance, being that they all really do suck, and are intended for a younger audience (which is why they are on Cartoon Network).

Cyro, too...just a couple.

Earthwormzim

« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2007, 11:13:59 AM »

How bout them speedracer scenes with the screeching monkey and the open mouthed guy

twisting

the

wheel

If Speedracer is what you base your opinion of anime on, then your opinion is about 20-30 years outdated.  Yeah, early anime was pretty bad, I agree.

Hell, early American animation wasn't too good either.  Remember the old black and white Bosco and/or Mickey Mouse cartoons, back when even the American animation industry was on a tight budget?

Earthwormzim

« Reply #65 on: January 08, 2007, 11:19:32 AM »

No, seen those too. The animation still sucked. The only decent film I saw was Akira.

If all that I had seen was "Akira," then I'd have a negative opinion of anime as well. 

No, Akira was the one I liked. I've seen others but they sucked. If you want examples; 'X,' Cowboy Bebop, Evangelion and FullMetal Alchemist.

Cowboy Bebop was terrible.  Evangelion was fantastic, X was decent, and Fullmetal Alchemist was pretty good (I think this one would be perfect for the 7-12 year old age group).  Even still, if you still can manage to have a higher opinion of American animation, then we must be at a disconnect.  Either you have not really seen these, or there are some fucking brilliant master-work American animations that I have somehow skipped over. 

Hell, all of those that you just mentioned have fantastic animation quality.  There isn't even a single Disney animation that I can think of that even half-way compares (oh, and this modern computer-animation craze doesn't count).

Zhwazi

• Recovering Ex-Anarchocapitalist
    • View Profile
    • Ana.rchist.net
« Reply #66 on: January 08, 2007, 11:22:15 AM »

What we need to do is find out where he lives, take a videocamera, knock on his door, and demand economic rent payment.

If he pays us, we get free money from the dumbass.

If he doesn't, plaster the video all over this board. He'll eventually leave.

Earthwormzim

« Reply #67 on: January 08, 2007, 11:22:28 AM »

And if you somehow missed the brilliance of the Evangelion story-line...wow...I don't know what to say, but...maybe you might want re-watch it. 

gandhi2

« Reply #68 on: January 08, 2007, 11:27:04 AM »

There isn't even a single Disney animation that I can think of that even half-way compares
Depends.  Do you count when Disney got its grubbies into Studio Ghibli?

Earthwormzim

« Reply #69 on: January 08, 2007, 11:32:20 AM »

There isn't even a single Disney animation that I can think of that even half-way compares
Depends.  Do you count when Disney got its grubbies into Studio Ghibli?

Haha!  Too bad Studio Ghibli films were all originally Japanese anime (and completely unrelated to Disney).  All Disney did was take a boat load of big name Hollywood actors, and dub over the original Japanese voice tracks.  That hardly counts as an actual Disney production.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 11:33:55 AM by Earthwormzim »

Earthwormzim

« Reply #70 on: January 08, 2007, 11:35:33 AM »

Oh, and might I add...even the big name Hollywood act are fucking terrible at voice acting.  Every one of Ghibli's productions are 100 times better with the original Japanese voice tracks.

Earthwormzim

« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2007, 11:37:46 AM »

No, Akira was the one I liked. I've seen others but they sucked. If you want examples; 'X,' Cowboy Bebop, Evangelion and FullMetal Alchemist.

Cowboy Bebop was terrible.  Evangelion was fantastic, X was decent, and Fullmetal Alchemist was pretty good (I think this one would be perfect for the 7-12 year old age group).  Even still, if you still can manage to have a higher opinion of American animation, then we must be at a disconnect.  Either you have not really seen these, or there are some fucking brilliant master-work American animations that I have somehow skipped over. 

Hell, all of those that you just mentioned have fantastic animation quality.  There isn't even a single Disney animation that I can think of that even half-way compares (oh, and this modern computer-animation craze doesn't count).

I like American animation if it's funny. I don't like cartoons for animation quality. The US cartoons aren't any better in animation quality, they're just amusing.

I got Evangelion, the religious things and crap. I got addicted to them damn thing, in retrospect thing in which it seems terrible. FullMetal wasn't actual that bad. It's just not fantastic.

Yeah, South Park and Family Guy are quite entertaining.  But, if you want story lines that are not afraid to tackle adult topics, like Religion, etc...you won't find it in American animation (except at a comedic level, like South Park).

Taors

« Reply #72 on: January 08, 2007, 11:47:16 AM »

I like American animation if it's funny. I don't like cartoons for animation quality. The US cartoons aren't any better in animation quality, they're just amusing.

I got Evangelion, the religious things and crap. I got addicted to them damn thing, in retrospect thing in which it seems terrible. FullMetal wasn't actual that bad. It's just not fantastic.

Yeah, South Park and Family Guy are quite entertaining.  But, if you want story lines that are not afraid to tackle adult topics, like Religion, etc...you won't find it in American animation (except at a comedic level, like South Park).

If I wanted serious topics, I wouldn't be watching cartoons.

Exactly.

gandhi2

« Reply #73 on: January 08, 2007, 11:48:47 AM »

Haha!  Too bad Studio Ghibli films were all originally Japanese anime (and completely unrelated to Disney).  All Disney did was take a boat load of big name Hollywood actors, and dub over the original Japanese voice tracks.  That hardly counts as an actual Disney production.
The mediums are miles apart.  And it doesn't matter, both America and Japan outsources most the tweens to Korea anyways.  Hollywood animation was built for something different...and it's quite good at what it does.  Not to mention that both sides of the fence have contributed additions to the medium...take for example Iron Giant...excellent aesthetic, great technique and combining the digital effects with the character animation.  Probably my biggest issue with virtually all of anime is that it's got about 4-5 archetypal styles, and that's it.  Hollywood animation is constantly forced to redefine the medium, because audiences don't want to see the same chibi/bishou/shounen stuff.  Most of the bread and butter stuff from afar adds very little valuable contributions.  I wish that some day, somebody would take Inoe's brillaint style of Vagabond and make some anime that captured the aesthetic.

Oh, and might I add...even the big name Hollywood act are fucking terrible at voice acting.  Every one of Ghibli's productions are 100 times better with the original Japanese voice tracks.
Ok, dude.  I thought that the American dubs were quite fantastic, myself.  I don't prescribe to the entire "sub or die" mentality.  1) If I don't speak Japanese, and didn't grow up in Japan, I'm going to lose out on oodles of subtle cultural references that inevitably, the subtitles totally slaughter in the translation.
2) So much of Japanese language is incredibly subtle, and often words take the place of auditory cues.
3) A good English read will emphasize the words with emotion, something that is rarely found beyond the standard character archetypes in Japanese voice acting.

Hold on, wait a minute....I just realized that I don't care.  Why am I talking about this?

Earthwormzim

« Reply #74 on: January 08, 2007, 12:04:17 PM »

If I wanted serious topics, I wouldn't be watching cartoons.

Exactly.

This is the typical American mentality.  Eh, I guess I can't blame you guys, though, being that 99.9999% American animation is crap, and is intended for children.  So, Americans are born into a culture that views animation as mere entertainment for children, and only produces animation that is such.  This attitude of most Americans is no less than quite expected. 

But, there are those of us who shake off this limited view on animation, and consider it as another facet of art.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  What to do with BenTucker?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 37 queries.