Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  What OS (operating system) are you using

Poll

Looking for a the OS of freedom

Microsoft Windows
- 23 (57.5%)
GNU/Linux
- 8 (20%)
MAC/OS
- 7 (17.5%)
BSD
- 0 (0%)
C64 Basic
- 0 (0%)
Atari
- 0 (0%)
Contiki
- 0 (0%)
Solaris
- 1 (2.5%)
other
- 1 (2.5%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: What OS (operating system) are you using  (Read 4072 times)

Evil Muppet

• View Profile
Re: What OS (operating system) are you using
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2009, 02:11:59 PM »

I use Windows XP on my laptop and OpenSUSE 11.0 on my desk top. 
Now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.

LordMarius

• The only Norwegian freemarketeer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2009, 02:38:28 PM »

I just started using Xubuntu, and I'm loving every second of it. Except when Firefox crashes, which is way too often.

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2009, 02:45:43 PM »

Yeah, why does FF keep crashing recently? I'm not the only one this is happening to.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

Alex Libman

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2009, 02:56:29 PM »

(

• ((1) Many (Linux package repositories) have a ((Firefox) versions) that were compiled by drunken ((Lisp) programmers (((BURP)))).  (I played around with that situation during my (Gentoo / LFS) days and got (some) improvement.))

)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 06:44:48 PM by Alex Libman »

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2009, 03:07:06 PM »

I just started using Xubuntu, and I'm loving every second of it. Except when Firefox crashes, which is way too often.
Firefox is highly over rated.  There are other, better browsers out there for sure.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Kevin Freeheart

• FTL AMPlifier Gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2009, 03:27:50 PM »

There are other, better browsers out there for sure.

If you're playing fast and loose with the definition of "better", sure.

For me, no other browser has all of the features Firefox + Plugins can bring to the table. When I heard the rumor that IE 8.1 could use plugins, I got all excited. If Chromium could, or Konqueror could, or Opera could... I'd use that in a heartbeat since Firefox sucks in everything EXCEPT usefulness of plugins and that by far outweighs the drawbacks for me.

My system has switched a little bit. I'm now running a Vista 64 host with Virtualbox 2.2 running Ubuntu as a guest. Its' a neat setup, since I've got the hardware/graphics (Xorg sucks) stability of Windows drivers and apps, but the useful intuitive apps I like from Linux as well as the ability to securely browse without infecting my host OS. :D
Quote from: John Shaw
Libman was setting you up. You see, he's a resident troll, which means that while I hate him passionately and wish him great harm, he's ONE OF OURS. You are a pathetic interloper who will fade away in a few weeks at most.

Alex Libman

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2009, 05:00:28 PM »

I haven't used VirtualBox in a while, but the last time I did it wasn't as good at emulating from a physical partition as VMware, which isn't that great either unfortunately.  That's a shame because it's much better to emulate from partition: in theory it should be more stable, the disk I/O should be faster, and if you ever need more speed you can just reboot (changing hardware profiles, etc) and what was guest now is the host, and vice-versa.

Inter-OS virtualization tech still has a ways to go, and CoLinux has been a huge disappointment so far.  Won't it be nice if you could not just map a drive to the other OS but also run its executables better than wine / faster than cygwin.  I don't mean see the apps on the desktop (ex Xming), I actually mean share the command space, like you could add Z:\usr\bin to your Windows path and run wget from PowerShell or gcc from Visual Studio!

« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 05:15:36 PM by Alex Libman »

LordMarius

• The only Norwegian freemarketeer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2009, 06:23:13 PM »

• (1) Many Linux package repositories have a version of Firefox that was compiles by drunken Lisp programmers.  I played around with that situation during my Gentoo / LFS days and got some improvement.

Thanks dude, I now run the Windows version of FF through Wine and it works much better than the Linux version. :D

Alex Libman

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2009, 06:34:51 PM »

Microsoft should eventually accept the fact that many power-users like Linux and stop trying to be the only OS on your computer.  It already took steps in that direction with SFU / Interix (which in theory gives the FOSS community everything they need to port everything over to a more stable foundation than Cygwin), but it should approach the issue for both sides.  When it does that, it can make running Windows apps under Linux a snap.  Why does it care what kernel you boot with - just as long as you pay for your licenses.  Developers will then focus on targeting Windows even more, and it will likely gain market share from Linux and Apple users who want to play Windows games but are reluctant to switch OS'es outright.  Heck, if Microsoft released a Linux distro, that distro would be the best on the market!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 06:48:19 PM by Alex Libman »

blackie

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2009, 07:27:28 PM »

Microsoft should eventually accept the fact that many power-users like Linux and stop trying to be the only OS on your computer. 
Hyper-V supports SUSE Linux Enterprise Server as a guest OS, but only with one vCPU. The list of Linux distros supported will grow as Hyper-V matures. Microsoft is to getting into the hypervisor market.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  What OS (operating system) are you using

// ]]>

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 52 queries.