Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  What OS (operating system) are you using

Poll

Looking for a the OS of freedom

Microsoft Windows
- 23 (57.5%)
GNU/Linux
- 8 (20%)
MAC/OS
- 7 (17.5%)
BSD
- 0 (0%)
C64 Basic
- 0 (0%)
Atari
- 0 (0%)
Contiki
- 0 (0%)
Solaris
- 1 (2.5%)
other
- 1 (2.5%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: What OS (operating system) are you using  (Read 4075 times)

NuroSlam

• Gold, Guns and Ammo
  • Gold, Guns and Ammo
    • View Profile
What OS (operating system) are you using
« on: March 16, 2009, 03:41:11 AM »

While I have my own opinion on an OS that represents true freedom, I wanna know what you think and why.

Typing drunk is a bitch! Thank The Lord for spell check
Comrade Obama, Sorry but I have already served my country.

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
Re: What OS (operating system) are you using
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 08:03:49 AM »

I don't use Windows Vista for freedom.  I use it because it came with the computer I bought a few years ago, and that's fine with me. 
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 08:06:34 AM »

I'm using Windows. I know; I know--there are better systems out there. Apple has it's fanboys, of course. And, it's great! Except that Macs are also expensive. It's like saying, "Hey, why are you driving a Corolla, when a Mercedes is so much better?" Why? WHY? Because I can afford the Toyota!

And then there are the supporters of Linux and all it's various versions. I looked into it, and unless you're a computer geek with lots of time to fiddle, it isn't worth the trouble. And then there are the compatibility issues. Publishers aren't interested in submissions done on oddball processing programs, such as Open Office, etc.

Besides, I've got computers all over the house operating on Windows, and I don't want to have to learn yet another system. However, I have toyed with picking up a copy of Linux for one of the older machines.
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 08:48:18 AM »

XP pro, BSD and Loonix.

I also constantly run emulators for old games and stuff, so throw AmigaOS and Atari TOS in there, too.
"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

Alex Libman

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 09:18:57 AM »

Of those, BSD clearly represents the most freedom in terms of being able to modify the OS and do stuff with it.  As I recently posted on another thread, I'm firmly back in the Microsoft camp for now, at least on the client-side.

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 11:17:28 AM »

Vista Ultimate 64-bit on my main desktop, XP Pro 32-bit on my secondary desktop (I can't afford another Vista 64 license atm), Vista Home Premium 64-bit on my laptop.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Kevin Freeheart

• FTL AMPlifier Gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 03:54:40 PM »

You're an idiot if you don't use the best tools you think for whatever job your doing.

I use Linux primarily, with Windows Vista being my second choice. I used to be a Freetard, "Free Software" advocate and contributing member of the Free Software foundation. When I sold my desktop this week, I found a sticker I got that said "Choose Freedom, Refuse Windows" or something similar. I was an idiot back then. :P
Quote from: John Shaw
Libman was setting you up. You see, he's a resident troll, which means that while I hate him passionately and wish him great harm, he's ONE OF OURS. You are a pathetic interloper who will fade away in a few weeks at most.

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 07:46:12 PM »

I forgot to mention that I dual boot Kubuntu with MythTV on my PVR computer, but I prefer Vista MCE. 
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 09:25:52 PM »

I'm using Windows.  I've played with Linux and have done some work with FreeBSD.  I've also got a fair amount of OS X experience.  Windows just does what I want with a minimum amount of fuss.

NuroSlam

• Gold, Guns and Ammo
  • Gold, Guns and Ammo
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 02:23:12 AM »

Having left the MS world with win 3.11 and never looking back, I can say I might be a little biased, however, my wife would never use my computers because they weren't windows. When her computer died she had no choice, after a year of using debian, I have yet to hear a single complaint or a "its fucking not working again!" from her.

I can see two reasons to stay with windows, games (i dont play) and to get the random rick rolled
Comrade Obama, Sorry but I have already served my country.

pete1061

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 01:35:23 AM »

I believe in the best tool for the job.

Windows is good for games.
And has a leg up with 3DSMAX for 3D graphics.

But if one wants to do serious video editing, or handle print graphics Mac is much better.

If you want stable, efficient server operations one of the linux/unix flavors would be better.
(or if you enjoy taking 47 steps to do tasks that take 3 steps in mac or windows)

bad_cab

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 12:11:52 AM »

Fedora 10 on my main desktop, Mint on my laptop (both Linux distros) and FreeBSD on a server/play ground. At work I have to deal with people's Windows (and to a lesser extent Mac) problems and it gets annoying. I never got the freedom argument with OS's unless you are a developer. I use Linux because I like it and that is the only reason

edvol44

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2009, 11:51:13 PM »

Linux for Freedom, OSX for doing generic computer shit and ease of use and things involving video, and Windows for all the things you cant do as well or as much on the other two, like video games, programming in order to sell your programs to people, using programs unavailable on the others.

Linux would be the most freedom-ish, and the others besides those three dont have enough other people using them so everything you do will have at least some aspect of being a pain in the ass. Windows is really the only OS where you have to worry about viruses that much.

Jetfire

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2009, 12:34:35 AM »

I use kubuntu 8.1 64bit with kde 4.0. Dual boot with vista 64bit. Linux is a pain at first but its worth it.

slayerboy

• Untitled
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2009, 12:15:31 AM »

Desktop is running Ubuntu 8.10, Laptop is running Crunchbang Linux (openbox version of Ubuntu), and I finally got my parents to switch to Linux and installed Linux Mint 6.  Honestly, if you think Linux is just for geeks now, try Linux Mint.  It's based off of Ubuntu, but everything is automatically setup.  Flash, java, dvd playback, mp3 playback,etc.  Only thing I had to do was enable the Nvidia driver and reboot.  20 min install and setup.  The backup of all their crap took 3 hours, but on all 3 of my computers Ubuntu has installed in 20 mins or less.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  What OS (operating system) are you using

// ]]>

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 50 queries.