Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  What is your Religion

Poll

What is your Religion

Atheism
- 19 (24.4%)
Christianity
- 7 (9%)
Jewish
- 1 (1.3%)
Catholic
- 1 (1.3%)
Hinduism
- 0 (0%)
Buddhism
- 1 (1.3%)
Rastafarianism
- 1 (1.3%)
Islam
- 3 (3.8%)
Taoism
- 1 (1.3%)
Neopaganism / Pagan
- 4 (5.1%)
Satanism
- 1 (1.3%)
Scientology
- 0 (0%)
Wiccan
- 0 (0%)
Pastafarian
- 0 (0%)
Animistic
- 0 (0%)
All Religions :D
- 1 (1.3%)
No Religion / Not Religious
- 19 (24.4%)
None of these
- 11 (14.1%)
Pantheism
- 2 (2.6%)
Judaism
- 2 (2.6%)
Asatru / Norse Gods
- 2 (2.6%)
Discordian/Subgenius
- 1 (1.3%)
Pantheist
- 1 (1.3%)
Government
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Voting closes: December 20, 2035, 01:27:29 PM

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 21   Go Down

Author Topic: What is your Religion  (Read 53065 times)

The Muslim Agorist

• FTL Creative Team
  • Join the Counter Economy
    • View Profile
    • The San Francisco Muslim Examiner
Re: What is your Religion
« Reply #240 on: August 16, 2008, 11:01:12 PM »

How does god feel about Olestra? What hath the bible sayethed?
"The Greatest Jihad is to speak a word of truth in the face of a tyrant."
~Prophet Muhammad

I'm tired of Repeating Myself

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: August 16, 2008, 11:04:33 PM »

Still can't let bygones be bygones, eh? :)
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

Porcupine_in_MA

« Reply #242 on: August 16, 2008, 11:04:37 PM »

Are you kidding me?  Have you ever heard of Baal?  That's just one example, but there are countless examples.  Egypt anyone?  Prior to Judaism pretty much every religion in the Middle East converted by sword and spear! 

Baalists did forceful conversions? Evidence? I've never heard of the ancient Egyptian religion doing that either. Evidence on that?

Porcupine_in_MA

« Reply #243 on: August 16, 2008, 11:07:31 PM »

This is true.

One word: Rome.

Sorry, Rome never tried to convert anyone to the Religio Romana. They were religiously very tolerant and in fact never wanted non-Roman's practicing their religion. They conquered countries and for the most part left the countries alone to practice their own religion. This was when they were pagan of course. When they became Christian it was another matter.

The Muslim Agorist

• FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: August 16, 2008, 11:10:54 PM »

Still can't let bygones be bygones, eh? :)
A truce without terms is like peace without a cease fire. Bygones as soon as you agree to stop categorizing me with lunatics who throw acid on people... and other trollish behavior.
~Prophet Muhammad

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: August 16, 2008, 11:16:09 PM »

I thought shellfish was haram.....................
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

Diogenes The Cynic

• View Profile
« Reply #246 on: August 16, 2008, 11:26:18 PM »

It was the practice of ancient polythiests to convert those whom they conquered. The conquered people would submit to it because they reasoned:

Hey, we asked help from our gods and they ddnt work, so theirs must be more powerful then.

The world went on like this with one polythiest geoup conquering another. When Alexander the Great conquered Egypt he made ammon equal to zeus.

It went on like this war after war untill the Hellinists lost to the Hashmonians.

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

Porcupine_in_MA

« Reply #247 on: August 16, 2008, 11:32:08 PM »

It was the practice of ancient polythiests to convert those whom they conquered. The conquered people would submit to it because they reasoned:

Hey, we asked help from our gods and they ddnt work, so theirs must be more powerful then.

The world went on like this with one polythiest geoup conquering another. When Alexander the Great conquered Egypt he made ammon equal to zeus.

It went on like this war after war untill the Hellinists lost to the Hashmonians.

Maybe with some of the ancient pagans but did the reason the nations and tribes conquer the other was to convert them or was it an effect of the conquering? I've done a lot of research on this throughout my life and I've never heard of one of these nations conquering another to convert them.

The Muslim Agorist

• FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: August 16, 2008, 11:39:07 PM »

I thought shellfish was haram.....................

Difference of opinion. I think most schools consider it Makruh, which means that it's not sinful to eat, but it's beneficial to avoid. But I've heard opinions that it's haram, and halal. I generally avoid it unless I have no other options.

also

When the first Christian missionaries arrived in Japan newly-converted Christians were forced to return to Buddhism with the threat of death if they would not trample upon images of the Virgin and child.

Christian converts in India have been forced to return to Hinduism throughout history. Some temples have "re-conversion" rituals. In Karnataka India violence between Christians and Hindus has escalated since 2006 and just recently resulted in Hindu Nationalists forcing conversions on their Christian minority.
~Prophet Muhammad

The Muslim Agorist

• FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: August 16, 2008, 11:42:42 PM »

Maybe with some of the ancient pagans but did the reason the nations and tribes conquer the other was to convert them or was it an effect of the conquering? I've done a lot of research on this throughout my life and I've never heard of one of these nations conquering another to convert them.

Am I missing something? I've never heard of any group conquering to convert. I've only heard of forced conversions from any faith in the context of a response to a wave of conversions out of a faith, or a as a kind of ideological genocide inside an existent empire.
~Prophet Muhammad

Diogenes The Cynic

• View Profile
« Reply #250 on: August 16, 2008, 11:47:31 PM »

[/quote]

[/quote]

You conquer to conquer. Thats how wealth would be built up. The conversions were to eliminate cultural differences.

-Dennis Goddard

Porcupine_in_MA

« Reply #251 on: August 16, 2008, 11:48:14 PM »

Am I missing something? I've never heard of any group conquering to convert. I've only heard of forced conversions from any faith in the context of a response to a wave of conversions out of a faith, or a as a kind of ideological genocide inside an existent empire.

Islamic and Christian nations would conquer pagan tribes and nations specifically to make them Muslim or Christian yes. Happened with most of Europe.  Big-time with Charles the Saxon slayer of the Franks. He was a personal quest to Christianize the Saxons. Some Pope (I can't remember which) had the Teutonic Knights and others try and conquer Lithuania because it was still pagan. It was the last pagan hold out in Europe and it was never converted by sword, but eventually chose to convert.

Porcupine_in_MA

« Reply #252 on: August 16, 2008, 11:49:05 PM »

You conquer to conquer. Thats how wealth would be built up. The conversions were to eliminate cultural differences.

That still misses my point. They didn't conquer to convert them as a mission. Their conversion was an after-effect.

Diogenes The Cynic

• View Profile
« Reply #253 on: August 16, 2008, 11:52:24 PM »

Correct. Conversion was not the purpose. Increasing hegemony was.

-Dennis Goddard

The Muslim Agorist

• FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: August 16, 2008, 11:58:06 PM »

Islamic and Christian nations would conquer pagan tribes and nations specifically to make them Muslim or Christian yes. Happened with most of Europe.  Big-time with Charles the Saxon slayer of the Franks. He was a personal quest to Christianize the Saxons. Some Pope (I can't remember which) had the Teutonic Knights and others try and conquer Lithuania because it was still pagan. It was the last pagan hold out in Europe and it was never converted by sword, but eventually chose to convert.

Those are all Christian examples. Do you have an Islamic Example? I'm not arguing with you. It's alot of history, I don't know for sure. From what I've read Islamic Empires conquered without forced conversions, and there are only a couple of tyrants, and a handful of modern Radicals that forced conversion in their own lands. I'll do the research myself if you'll point me in a direction.
~Prophet Muhammad

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 21   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  What is your Religion

// ]]>

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 38 queries.