Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  What is your Religion

Poll

What is your Religion

Atheism
- 19 (24.4%)
Christianity
- 7 (9%)
Jewish
- 1 (1.3%)
Catholic
- 1 (1.3%)
Hinduism
- 0 (0%)
Buddhism
- 1 (1.3%)
Rastafarianism
- 1 (1.3%)
Islam
- 3 (3.8%)
Taoism
- 1 (1.3%)
Neopaganism / Pagan
- 4 (5.1%)
Satanism
- 1 (1.3%)
Scientology
- 0 (0%)
Wiccan
- 0 (0%)
Pastafarian
- 0 (0%)
Animistic
- 0 (0%)
All Religions :D
- 1 (1.3%)
No Religion / Not Religious
- 19 (24.4%)
None of these
- 11 (14.1%)
Pantheism
- 2 (2.6%)
Judaism
- 2 (2.6%)
Asatru / Norse Gods
- 2 (2.6%)
Discordian/Subgenius
- 1 (1.3%)
Pantheist
- 1 (1.3%)
Government
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Voting closes: December 20, 2035, 01:27:29 PM

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 21   Go Down

Author Topic: What is your Religion  (Read 53073 times)

markuzick

• Atheist Pro-Lifer
  • Dr. Montessori: Discipline through liberty
    • View Profile
Re: What is your Religion
« Reply #195 on: August 12, 2008, 09:43:47 PM »

I'm Creating the church of Atheism Give me all your money and i will keep the Mormons away and Dem other Pesky God people away

You're creating an atheist church, for the religiously atheistic, dedicated to the worship of what?
As the state feeds off of the limitation and destruction of legitimate government, anarchy is its essence.

To claim "economic rent" from someone Else's labor when applied to land, which is something no one can own outright, is in itself, to claim landlord status over raw nature. It is an attempt at coercive monopoly power that is at the root of statism.

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 12, 2008, 10:30:15 PM »

I'm Creating the church of Atheism Give me all your money and i will keep the Mormons away and Dem other Pesky God people away

You're creating an atheist church, for the religiously atheistic, dedicated to the worship of what?

The self. Once youre an athiest, you have only yourself to worship. Let the self aggrandizement begin.
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 13, 2008, 12:10:23 AM »

The self. Once youre an athiest, you have only yourself to worship. Let the self aggrandizement begin.

Yeah but in my case.. I'm worth it, dude.
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

markuzick

• Atheist Pro-Lifer
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 13, 2008, 12:46:35 AM »

You need a whole church and all the trappings that come with it to have reverence for yourself?

You must be battling an inferiority complex.
As the state feeds off of the limitation and destruction of legitimate government, anarchy is its essence.

To claim "economic rent" from someone Else's labor when applied to land, which is something no one can own outright, is in itself, to claim landlord status over raw nature. It is an attempt at coercive monopoly power that is at the root of statism.

Taors

« Reply #199 on: August 13, 2008, 01:06:54 AM »

What the hell are you talking about? I'm no where close to being an atheist and I worship myself. Once you start worshipping yourself, you begin to realize just how connected the microcosm and macrocosm really are.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 01:08:54 AM by Conspiracy Leary »

atomiccat

• FTL AMPlifier
  • Anarchy will Reign when pigs fly... Look a pig!
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: August 13, 2008, 01:25:17 PM »

You need a whole church and all the trappings that come with it to have reverence for yourself?

I was being sarcastic on creating a church...

ARP524

« Reply #201 on: August 13, 2008, 01:25:37 PM »

I am a Christian in that I was raised in the religion and it is how I identify demographically. I also think Christian morality is a good basis for civilization, however I am not a fundamentalist or a biblical literalist. Overall however, I think that we are in a constant state of inquiry so I can't stick with one dogma. Ultimately though my inquiry has led me to believe that there is a supernatural world beyond the spiritual and that Christianity comes closer to the truth than any other, so I voted for it in the poll. I guess I am a Christian, no matter how much of a rebel I am.

MacFall

• Agorist
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
  • No king but Christ; no law but liberty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 13, 2008, 10:41:32 PM »

I am a Christian in that I was raised in the religion and it is how I identify demographically. I also think Christian morality is a good basis for civilization, however I am not a fundamentalist or a biblical literalist. Overall however, I think that we are in a constant state of inquiry so I can't stick with one dogma. Ultimately though my inquiry has led me to believe that there is a supernatural world beyond the spiritual and that Christianity comes closer to the truth than any other, so I voted for it in the poll. I guess I am a Christian, no matter how much of a rebel I am.

I think you and I might be on a similar page - I consider myself a pre-Nicaean Christian in that I don't believe that just because a bunch of bureaucrats decided that the books of Biblical canon were the inerrant word of God, that that makes it so. I furthermore reject all forms of hierarchy within the Church. Basically my dogma is limited to the words of Christ as recorded in the gospels. I think that in context, the epistles and letters to the Church constitute good advice, and I think that the Old Testament is mostly poetry and allegory.

What are your thoughts on those views?
I am an anarchist! HOOGA BOOGA BOOGA!!

markuzick

• Atheist Pro-Lifer
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 13, 2008, 10:56:35 PM »

I know. I was also being sarcastic, but also half serious, because I find the implications of the need for an atheistic church to be amusing when one examines its purpose as an organization dedicated to the worship of something. I may be devoted to the concept and have reverence for the reasoning  individual who doesn't rely on deities or other forms of false authority, but I'm hardly about to engage in worshipful public ceremonies...or maybe I should? I suppose, that for the atheist, music and the arts could serve that function.

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 14, 2008, 02:04:56 AM »

Damn.. and I was being lead to believe that you would be the Jim Bakker and I could be his masseuse ..

I think you and I might be on a similar page - I consider myself a pre-Nicaean Christian in that I don't believe that just because a bunch of bureaucrats decided that the books of Biblical canon were the inerrant word of God, that that makes it so. I furthermore reject all forms of hierarchy within the Church. Basically my dogma is limited to the words of Christ as recorded in the gospels. I think that in context, the epistles and letters to the Church constitute good advice, and I think that the Old Testament is mostly poetry and allegory.

I know you aren't asking me, but I actually find that perspective refreshing. You know my views and might think I'm talking shit- but I'm not.
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

DogOn

« Reply #205 on: August 14, 2008, 07:25:20 AM »

Are you reading the same Old Testament as me? because the one I read is full of psychotic violence and arbitrary "morals" that don't make any fucking sense. Also I don't see how you can throw out some parts of the bible and not others. Either it is the word of god, or its not, either its all true or its not, and if you claim some parts are really from god then you need some evidence of why all the other parts aren't from god. Why believe a book that says there is a omni-max super being who created the universe but not believe it when it tells you to its okay to beat your slaves as long as they don't die on the same day?

Kill People Who Don't Listen to Priests

Anyone arrogant enough to reject the verdict of the judge or of the priest who represents the LORD your God must be put to death.  Such evil must be purged from Israel.  (Deuteronomy 17:12 NLT)

Kill Witches

You should not let a sorceress live.  (Exodus 22:17 NAB)

Kill Homosexuals
    "If a man lies with a male as with a women, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives."  (Leviticus 20:13 NAB)

Kill Fortunetellers

A man or a woman who acts as a medium or fortuneteller shall be put to death by stoning; they have no one but themselves to blame for their death.  (Leviticus 20:27 NAB)

Death for Hitting Dad

Whoever strikes his father or mother shall be put to death.  (Exodus 21:15 NAB)

Death for Adultery

If a man commits adultery with another man's wife, both the man and the woman must be put to death.  (Leviticus 20:10 NLT)

Death for Fornication

A priest's daughter who loses her honor by committing fornication and thereby dishonors her father also, shall be burned to death.  (Leviticus 21:9 NAB)

Kill Sons of Sinners

Make ready to slaughter his sons for the guilt of their fathers; Lest they rise and posses the earth, and fill the breadth of the world with tyrants.  (Isaiah 14:21 NAB)

More Rape and Baby Killing

Anyone who is captured will be run through with a sword.  Their little children will be dashed to death right before their eyes.  Their homes will be sacked and their wives raped by the attacking hordes.  For I will stir up the Medes against Babylon, and no amount of silver or gold will buy them off.  The attacking armies will shoot down the young people with arrows.  They will have no mercy on helpless babies and will show no compassion for the children.  (Isaiah 13:15-18 NLT)

Real poetic.

More murderous bible quotes

Rape in the Bible

Old and New Testament Slavery

All the, "the bible can be a good book to live your life by" sentiment makes me fucking sick. As if humans where so desperate and uncaring that they needed an book to tell them its wrong to hurt people.

The vast majority of Christians ignore or disobey the vast majority of rules and commands in the bible. I would put money that no one in this forum follows over 50% of the rules in the bible, you would have to be a fucking psychotic to commit to such a level of hate and violence.

People are moral IN SPITE of the Bible, not because of it. I've never been to a religious ceremony, I've read the bible once in my whole life and found it to be a horrible book of bullshit, yet somehow I've managed not to harm or steal from anyone. From what I hear from the religious, without a strong religious faith my life should be in chaos, I shouldn't know right from wrong, and I should have no meaning in my life.

According to the Bible I should be dropping people left right and center for infractions against god, but even the fundies don't really buy into it 100% (with a few exceptions). Humans innately understand its wrong to kill people who haven't harmed you, which explains why the majority of religious people don't follow all the murder commands in their holy books, and why there isn't a huge immorality rate for non religious people.

It's just a book of old myths, just like any other major religion. I've never seen any evidence to prove one religion to be more likely than another, and if you can't prove your religion over others then you have no reason to believe "your" religion over others. If someone has evidence that backs up their belief, I'd like to see it and if you don't think its important to be able to prove your beliefs then that's fine to.

edit : MacFall, this post isn't to rag on you, your line on the old testament being mainly allegory set me off, although I am interested in your views on why you don't buy into parts of the OT but you buy into the idea of god presented in the same book.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 03:23:12 PM by fatcat »

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 14, 2008, 06:10:17 PM »

Those laws only apply to Jews, and besides you're taking some of them out of context.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

trollfreezone

« Reply #207 on: August 14, 2008, 06:24:26 PM »

Did anyone else notice that the poll-takers identifying themselves as Christian jumped from two to six rather suddenly?

DogOn

« Reply #208 on: August 14, 2008, 09:31:30 PM »

Those laws only apply to Jews, and besides you're taking some of them out of context.

If Christians say the bible is the word of god, and that shit is in the bible, then I'm going to assume they think that shit applies to them. Whether you think it applies to them or not is a non issue. If they are Christians who say that the OT doesn't apply/doesn't matter, then I'm curious as to what evidence they have to dispute the religious veracity of the OT that doesn't discount the NT.

How does the context I missed out dispute the face value of those passages?

Even if 1 in 10 of those were right (and there are a hell of alot of other ones), then that's still a whole fuckload of rape, slavery, murder and bigotry.

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 14, 2008, 11:02:33 PM »

If Christians say the bible is the word of god, and that shit is in the bible, then I'm going to assume they think that shit applies to them. Whether you think it applies to them or not is a non issue. If they are Christians who say that the OT doesn't apply/doesn't matter, then I'm curious as to what evidence they have to dispute the religious veracity of the OT that doesn't discount the NT.

How does the context I missed out dispute the face value of those passages?

Even if 1 in 10 of those were right (and there are a hell of alot of other ones), then that's still a whole fuckload of rape, slavery, murder and bigotry.

One thing I have always wondered about as a Jew is why the Xtians [sic] don't keep kosher, if they believe in the Bible.

I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 21   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  What is your Religion

// ]]>

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 37 queries.