Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  What is your Religion

Poll

What is your Religion

Atheism
- 19 (24.4%)
Christianity
- 7 (9%)
Jewish
- 1 (1.3%)
Catholic
- 1 (1.3%)
Hinduism
- 0 (0%)
Buddhism
- 1 (1.3%)
Rastafarianism
- 1 (1.3%)
Islam
- 3 (3.8%)
Taoism
- 1 (1.3%)
Neopaganism / Pagan
- 4 (5.1%)
Satanism
- 1 (1.3%)
Scientology
- 0 (0%)
Wiccan
- 0 (0%)
Pastafarian
- 0 (0%)
Animistic
- 0 (0%)
All Religions :D
- 1 (1.3%)
No Religion / Not Religious
- 19 (24.4%)
None of these
- 11 (14.1%)
Pantheism
- 2 (2.6%)
Judaism
- 2 (2.6%)
Asatru / Norse Gods
- 2 (2.6%)
Discordian/Subgenius
- 1 (1.3%)
Pantheist
- 1 (1.3%)
Government
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Voting closes: December 20, 2035, 01:27:29 PM

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 21   Go Down

Author Topic: What is your Religion  (Read 53050 times)

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
Re: What is your Religion
« Reply #75 on: August 06, 2008, 06:24:21 PM »

Pantheist in da house

How are you defining it?

the view that everything is of an all-encompassing immanent abstract God; or that the Universe, or nature, and God are equivalent.

wtf does that mean?

God is everything?

Wheres your proof for this pantheist god?

I don't see any reason to inject god into anything if all you mean is existence, well except if it gives you a good feeling to be able to believe in some nebulous all encompassing deity.
Yes God is EVERYTHING.  Makes a lot more sense than the Christian Jesus thing or atheism.  It's a different way of looking at the world.  Instead of seeing the universe as bleak and transparent, you see it as something that is rich and full of opportunity.

If god is everything then its a useless definition. Everything is already a concept, and theres no need to plug in any supernatural bullshit on top of that because its a fairly simple premise.

Pantheism just seems like an excuse for rational minds to buy into the happy mysticism of religion without being too illogical.

If all you believe god is is everything, then I believe god exists too, because i believe everything that exists exists (duh), but you've just distorted the word god to be completely meaningless.

Anything I've missed?
Why does that make it meaningless?
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Taors

« Reply #76 on: August 06, 2008, 06:44:26 PM »

I can't stand it anymore.

EVERY FUCKING THREAD.

DogOn

« Reply #77 on: August 06, 2008, 06:53:22 PM »

If god is everything then its a useless definition. Everything is already a concept, and theres no need to plug in any supernatural bullshit on top of that because its a fairly simple premise.

Pantheism just seems like an excuse for rational minds to buy into the happy mysticism of religion without being too illogical.

If all you believe god is is everything, then I believe god exists too, because i believe everything that exists exists (duh), but you've just distorted the word god to be completely meaningless.

Anything I've missed?
Why does that make it meaningless?

Well we already have a word that means everything, why call it god, or a belief system, if not to invoke some sort of vaguely spiritual bullshit? especially since all other uses of god usually refer to some vague omni-max father/creator figure
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 06:56:50 PM by fatcat »

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 06, 2008, 07:58:41 PM »

I've been saying that in these threads for a while now.. that using the term "God" in such a generic way isn't doing any good.
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

blackie

« Reply #79 on: August 06, 2008, 08:12:28 PM »

:lol:

Let's have an atheist define god for us.

DogOn

« Reply #80 on: August 06, 2008, 08:29:51 PM »

I've been saying that in these threads for a while now.. that using the term "God" in such a generic way isn't doing any good.

This sort of generic pantheism is becoming worryingly popular.

With a standard, zeus, jehovah, allah, god, its pretty easy to provide rational explanation for why its bullshit. But pantheism, you spend half your time trying to get the other person to give an exact definition, and even when they do, their beliefs on the issue are so nebulous and insubstantial, that theres nothing you could really say to get them to question why they feel a need to put belief in such a disturbingly vague idea.

When you can start getting into, god is math, or god is beauty, or god is the life force in the universe, its literally impossible to dispute such claims, because they rest on a distortion of definition, not any rational observation or hypothesis.

When people give themselves mental blank checks like this to believe for the sake of believing, dumb things happen. homeopathy, global warming, war on drugs. Granted pantheism is nowhere near as disruptive or destructive as these, but its emblematic of humans tendency to let emotion dictate their beliefs instead of rational thought.

BonerJoe

« Reply #81 on: August 06, 2008, 08:30:51 PM »

With a standard, zeus, jehovah, allah, god, its pretty easy to provide rational explanation for why its bullshit. But pantheism, you spend half your time trying to get the other person to give an exact definition, and even when they do, their beliefs on the issue are so nebulous and insubstantial, that theres nothing you could really say to get them to question why they feel a need to put belief in such a disturbingly vague idea.

When you can start getting into, god is math, or god is beauty, or god is the life force in the universe, its literally impossible to dispute such claims, because they rest on a distortion of definition, not any rational observation or hypothesis.

When people give themselves mental blank checks like this to believe for the sake of believing, dumb things happen. homeopathy, global warming, war on drugs. Granted pantheism is nowhere near as disruptive or destructive as these, but its emblematic of humans tendency to let emotion dictate their beliefs instead of rational thought.

Can't you be concise?

DogOn

« Reply #82 on: August 06, 2008, 08:31:34 PM »

Can't you be concise?

about wat?

Porcupine_in_MA

« Reply #83 on: August 06, 2008, 08:34:02 PM »

With a standard, zeus, jehovah, allah, god, its pretty easy to provide rational explanation for why its bullshit.

And atheists wonder why I call their attitudes as intolerant as any born-again bible thumper that they complain about.

Taors

« Reply #84 on: August 06, 2008, 08:42:52 PM »

With a standard, zeus, jehovah, allah, god, its pretty easy to provide rational explanation for why its bullshit.

And atheists wonder why I call their attitudes as intolerant as any born-again bible thumper that they complain about.

BUT IT'S NOT A RELIGION!!!11

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 06, 2008, 09:06:52 PM »

god exists because it's mentioned in a fucking book, ain't ya heard?
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

Taors

« Reply #86 on: August 06, 2008, 09:16:37 PM »

god exists because it's mentioned in a fucking book, ain't ya heard?

That's one opinion, certainly.

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 07, 2008, 01:28:45 PM »

Sure Seems like one to me.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

DogOn

« Reply #88 on: August 07, 2008, 01:42:39 PM »

My attitude is not an "atheist" attitude. Atheist means you don't believe in any claims of any gods, thats it. Its a responsive position to a claim. Now my personal preference to belittle theists has nothing to do with my non belief in god claims. Non belief cannot be the basis for any action.

If you think you have justification for zeus, allah, jehovah, whoever, then I'll gladly discuss the matter with you, but the fact 100% of religious people I have talked with have used extremely substandard thinking allows me to mock them with a clear conscience. I am aware this is not a persuasive method, but I find the averages theist disregard for logic, and their unwillingness to defend their beliefs very distasteful. I freely admit that I am intolerant to theists, I care deeply about rational thought and any positions thats seem to vehemently appose free thought on any issue are in my contempt.

Any theists want to debate me, throw me a PM and I'll gladly give you an IM address you can talk to me on.

DogOn

« Reply #89 on: August 07, 2008, 01:45:23 PM »

Sure Seems like one to me.

Well, you're wrong.

Atheism is a religion if bald is a hair color.

Atheism =! anti-theism

Atheism is lack of belief in any theist claims, NOT belief that a god does not exist.

get with the program.

I'll throw open my offer again. Any theists with claims they think they have justification for, I really want to hear from you. Now I believe that your beliefs are irrational, and I will not do you the disrespect of pretending you are rational in order to persuade you of my position. but if you want someone to challenge your beliefs in a fair and rational way, let me know.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 01:51:34 PM by fatcat »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 21   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  What is your Religion

// ]]>

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 37 queries.