Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  What is your Religion

Poll

What is your Religion

Atheism
- 19 (24.4%)
Christianity
- 7 (9%)
Jewish
- 1 (1.3%)
Catholic
- 1 (1.3%)
Hinduism
- 0 (0%)
Buddhism
- 1 (1.3%)
Rastafarianism
- 1 (1.3%)
Islam
- 3 (3.8%)
Taoism
- 1 (1.3%)
Neopaganism / Pagan
- 4 (5.1%)
Satanism
- 1 (1.3%)
Scientology
- 0 (0%)
Wiccan
- 0 (0%)
Pastafarian
- 0 (0%)
Animistic
- 0 (0%)
All Religions :D
- 1 (1.3%)
No Religion / Not Religious
- 19 (24.4%)
None of these
- 11 (14.1%)
Pantheism
- 2 (2.6%)
Judaism
- 2 (2.6%)
Asatru / Norse Gods
- 2 (2.6%)
Discordian/Subgenius
- 1 (1.3%)
Pantheist
- 1 (1.3%)
Government
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Voting closes: December 20, 2035, 01:27:29 PM

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21   Go Down

Author Topic: What is your Religion  (Read 53419 times)

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
Re: What is your Religion
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2008, 06:38:58 AM »

Atheism isn't a religion.

Ditto
I don't know though, from the way I've been approached by hardcore "atheists" in the past, I could have sworn they had far more "faith" in their atheism than I had in my Judaism.  They tend to missionize the hell out of me, and from my perspective, Jews don't missionize anybody, they seemed worse than the hardcore evangelical christians and mormons who knock on my door from time to time asking me to convert to Jesus.

I guess from my perspective, anyone who tries to missionize is more religious than me, so when I get missionized by atheists, I see them as religious, whether they believe in "God" or not.  To me, that's one point that makes the huge difference between being a "non theist" and being an "atheist".
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 06:46:27 AM by JB »
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Alex Libman

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2008, 07:55:49 AM »

None of those is my religion.  And you depraved NOTA worshipers make me sick!  :x

And, hey, Jew boy, change your sig image to something people can AdBlock (without hacking the plugin)!  And stop stealing Wikimedia's bandwidth!  Damn Jews...
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 07:57:52 AM by Alex Libman »

DogOn

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2008, 08:03:34 AM »

I guess from my perspective, anyone who tries to missionize is more religious than me, so when I get missionized by atheists, I see them as religious, whether they believe in "God" or not.  To me, that's one point that makes the huge difference between being a "non theist" and being an "atheist".

Anything else that comes out of the mouth other than "I don't believe in god" has nothing to do with atheism.

A lot of people like to appropriate the word, and since most hardcore anti-theist atheists wear it on their sleeve, you only associate 'atheist' with the evangelical kind.

When you're thinking of the strong anti religious atheists you're really thinking about anti-theists.

As for atheists trying to convert people,
when it comes to crunch all religions are believed first and foremost because a) your parents did and b)it feels good to

Theres a reason every single major religion tries to explain 2 things. What happens after you die and where the universe comes from.

People are scared of death and confused by existence. For as long as humans have been able to imagine stories, isolated cultural groups have made up their own gods. You would have to be fucking retarded not to realize that. We've even got to a point where the majority of the invented gods of the past are no longer believed in, yet we got fuckers STILL thinking the most recent ones are not the same as all the others, even though they all largely share the same "proofs"

An old ass book saying things that contradict all the other old ass books written by humans and a bunch of pseudo miracles like 'saving' people from cancer. Except that its admitted god would never actually do anything because if he did prove himself then you wouldn't have to believe, so the fact that he isn't proving himself is proof he exists.

HINT - Theres a reason all the burning bushes, global floods, rivers turning into blood, god and angels coming to earth dried up about the same time humans started collecting reliable scientific documentation on the world.

The one big plus atheists and anti-theists have over theists is that I've never EVER heard an atheist tell people to settle with believing for believings sake, or ever discourage rational inquiry, which organized religion does by the fucking shitload. Atheists generally persuade people to think and provide reasons for their beliefs. Theists just tell you to shut up and swallow their bullshit instead of anyone elses.

Most theists are fucking pussies at defending their beliefs as well, a self protecting mechanism of the god meme. The amount of times I get told to "find god and i will believe", or that god is math and science, and science is real so god exists, or that it says in the bible god is everything, and everything exists so thats proof god exists.

Shit, even the most modern religions are still sick fucking trips.

Heaven and hell from the bat is some fucked up shit. NO ONE deserves infinite punishment for finite crimes. We don't punish the worst child rapist murderers a fraction as bad as Jehovah plans to punish thieves and homosexuals. Stoning kids for insulting their parents, killing villages of non believers, every man women and child except the virgin girls which you get to keep as sex slaves. Though I suppose its how you interpret it, since every fucking religionist chooses, interprets and invents any bullshit they want to back up the beliefs THEY want to believe.

Just people to scared or stupid to accept 'we don't know' as an answer, and too afraid to accept that the warm fuzzy feeling when they think the holy spirit is entering them is just that, a feeling. Shit, the fact so many religions either have god as a man or an animal you find on earth should be a huge fucking tip off.

Level 20 Anklebiter

• Small, but deadly
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2008, 08:50:31 AM »

Other: I believe my peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are gods.
I hear thunder but there's no rain, this kind of thunder breaks walls and window pane

orion

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2008, 08:54:33 AM »

a) Religions are clearly human inventions. only a mind shattered with cognitive dissonance could dismiss Zeus as a story but accept Jehovah as real

What about pantheism?

DogOn

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2008, 09:19:59 AM »

a) Religions are clearly human inventions. only a mind shattered with cognitive dissonance could dismiss Zeus as a story but accept Jehovah as real
What about pantheism?

What about it?

from what I've heard its just a crutch for people who are too smart to buy into an old god, so they buy into this vague, spiritualist, metaphysical bullshit that doesn't really mean anything but it feels like it makes sense and I like believing it so why bother pinning it down eh?.

I've heard so many different definitions you'll have to say what you think of it as if you want a definite answer, but from my exposure usually its too vague to have any real meaning or is really wishy washy spiritualist/metaphysical  super natural shit, but without any conscious deity to throw up a road block, its even easier to dive into and enjoy, and without any real concrete or inflammatory claims you never have to reconcile your own thoughts with some other douches beliefs.

In a way pantheism is the natural evolution. We no longer need preachers and shamans pumping us feel good magical bullshit, we can do it ourselves.

Buddhism is kind of on the same page aswell, even though its kind of the old god era. You don't have to fuck your thinking mind over so bad you think theres a santa claus of the universe, but you still get all the well meaning philosophical generalisations and you get afterlife and universal justice through reincarnation and karma.

Porcupine_in_MA

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2008, 09:45:16 AM »

Missing: Asatru

This is what I am, I didn't see it so I chose "neo-paganism/pagan" as the next best option.

atomiccat

• FTL AMPlifier
  • Anarchy will Reign when pigs fly... Look a pig!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2008, 01:24:00 PM »

Ive added a couple more options and you can change your vote

Porcupine_in_MA

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2008, 01:28:18 PM »

There isn't any way to change my vote.

BonerJoe

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2008, 01:50:05 PM »

Niggerfarian.

atomiccat

• FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2008, 01:53:46 PM »

well i clicked the box that said allow users to change their vote, but i don't know how to do it myself

Porcupine_in_MA

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2008, 01:57:51 PM »

*dramatically chokes back a sob* I'll somehow push on... :(

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2008, 01:57:58 PM »

there are waaaay to many to put Every single sub religion in there i just put down most of the Main ones, but i guess i will add a Other and all of the above category lol

Yet you had room for Pastafarians, who are newer and fewer in numbers than Subgenii and Discordians.

You should at least put Discordian/Subgenius as a single category, as one is a splinter group from the other.

Five Tons of Slack etc.

[youtube=425,350]Qt9MP70ODNw[/youtube]
"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

trollfreezone

« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2008, 02:05:45 PM »

Atheism isn't a religion.

Close enough.  Call it a belief system or whatever semantic change necessary.

atomiccat

• FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2008, 02:19:04 PM »

i put pastafarian in as a joke since they are just a made up religion
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  What is your Religion

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 37 queries.