Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  What is your Religion

Poll

What is your Religion

Atheism
- 19 (24.4%)
Christianity
- 7 (9%)
Jewish
- 1 (1.3%)
Catholic
- 1 (1.3%)
Hinduism
- 0 (0%)
Buddhism
- 1 (1.3%)
Rastafarianism
- 1 (1.3%)
Islam
- 3 (3.8%)
Taoism
- 1 (1.3%)
Neopaganism / Pagan
- 4 (5.1%)
Satanism
- 1 (1.3%)
Scientology
- 0 (0%)
Wiccan
- 0 (0%)
Pastafarian
- 0 (0%)
Animistic
- 0 (0%)
All Religions :D
- 1 (1.3%)
No Religion / Not Religious
- 19 (24.4%)
None of these
- 11 (14.1%)
Pantheism
- 2 (2.6%)
Judaism
- 2 (2.6%)
Asatru / Norse Gods
- 2 (2.6%)
Discordian/Subgenius
- 1 (1.3%)
Pantheist
- 1 (1.3%)
Government
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Voting closes: December 20, 2035, 01:27:29 PM

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21   Go Down

Author Topic: What is your Religion  (Read 53054 times)

atomiccat

• FTL AMPlifier
  • Anarchy will Reign when pigs fly... Look a pig!
    • View Profile
What is your Religion
« on: August 04, 2008, 03:22:37 AM »

On a different topic someone said most Libertarians are Atheist so i wanted to see what everyone religion!

DogOn

Re: What is your Religion
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 03:24:15 AM »

Atheism isn't a religion.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 03:26:31 AM by fatcat »

Taors

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 03:24:34 AM »

Where's all of the above?

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 03:25:17 AM »

Missing: Discordianism

Missing: Church of the Subgenius.

Get with the program.
"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

Taors

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 03:26:35 AM »

Missing: Thelema

Missing: Asatru

Missing: Druidism

atomiccat

• FTL AMPlifier
  • Anarchy will Reign when pigs fly... Look a pig!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 03:31:40 AM »

there are waaaay to many to put Every single sub religion in there i just put down most of the Main ones, but i guess i will add a Other and all of the above category lol

and btw im a Druidism pagan

or my Druidism you mean animistic?

Taors

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 03:34:57 AM »

there are waaaay to many to put Every single sub religion in there i just put down most of the Main ones, but i guess i will add a Other and all of the above category lol

and btw im a Druidism pagan

or my Druidism you mean animistic?

Animistic? Shamans originated in every culture and religion, so you can't really call it a religion itself.

DogOn

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 03:54:49 AM »

Why are atheism and no religion both up there? they mean exactly the same thing.

bushwacker

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 04:26:08 AM »

This is America, God damnit! Statistically, at least 40% of you all should be Catholic :D

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 05:11:06 AM »

Why are atheism and no religion both up there? they mean exactly the same thing.

I disagree completely.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

DogOn

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 05:38:27 AM »

I disagree completely.

I don't know what definitions you're using.

Atheism means lack of theism. Morality is a useful parallel. There is Immorality, Amorality, and morality, and there is anti theism, atheism, and theism. Atheism is merely a lack of belief in any claim to a god. If your answer to the question "do you believe in god?" is anything other than yes, including I don't know, then you're an atheist.

Theres a common misconception that atheism means you believe there is no god. This is not the case.

Gnosticism and Agnosticism speak to what you claim to know.Theism and Atheism refer to what you believe.You can be a gnostic atheist, an agnostic theist, or any other combination.I would class myself as a gnostic atheist under most meaningful defintions. I don't buy into absolute certainty, its a pretty useless concept.

Much like I can't 100% for sure say there aren't any unicorns on earth, the kind of knowledge that would allow me to say for sure that there are or not, is unattainable and not practical in real terms. So while I accept there is a minuscule chance of there being some super powerful creator/father figure to the universe, I have seen no reason to believe, and I actively disbelieve it based on a few facts:

a) Religions are clearly human inventions. only a mind shattered with cognitive dissonance could dismiss Zeus as a story but accept Jehovah as real

b) Pretty much every major religion makes claims about the nature of the universe that have been proven to be false

c) If a super powerful being existed there should be some sort of measurable effects. since there is a total of 0 measurable effects that can be contributed to any god, then all things being equal, something that cannot be measured in anyway is most likely nothing, rather than some inordinately more complex entity that produces the same effects as nothing but is in fact something.

While these facts are not sufficient to be absolutely certain that there are no god like entities, its enough for me to believe that most likely there are not at the current moment.

most religions work on : Look at this old book, this says what I believe is true so it must be, and the old classic, prove there is no god

even on brass statistics all religions fail. all major religions claim to be true, only one is possible to be true, all of them have the same explanation power, there are more than 2 religions in the world, ergo whatever one you pick you most likely have not picked the correct one, although more importantly:

no religion has ever met the burden of proof for the claims they make
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 05:40:36 AM by fatcat »

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 05:45:17 AM »

To me "no religion" = nontheist which is not the same as an atheist.
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

DogOn

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2008, 05:53:11 AM »

what the fuck is a non theist? sounds like atheist to me

atheist is a responsive position to atheism. if you don't believe in god claims then you're atheist, its not about whatever you might believe about anything else, if you want to call yourself non theist aswell it doesn't change whether you're an atheist or not, although if you want to refer to atheist as something else it might make shit more complicated talking to atheists. The only thing that makes you not an atheist is being a theist of any kind. Saying I don't know whether there is a god is not answering the question of whether you believe it to be true or not. If you make a non committal stance then you still lack the belief in god and are still an atheist.

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2008, 06:08:09 AM »

what the fuck is a non theist? sounds like atheist to me

atheist is a responsive position to atheism. if you don't believe in god claims then you're atheist, its not about whatever you might believe about anything else, if you want to call yourself non theist aswell it doesn't change whether you're an atheist or not, although if you want to refer to atheist as something else it might make shit more complicated talking to atheists. The only thing that makes you not an atheist is being a theist of any kind. Saying I don't know whether there is a god is not answering the question of whether you believe it to be true or not. If you make a non committal stance then you still lack the belief in god and are still an atheist.
A non theist is pretty much someone who may or may not believe in God, but doesn't give a damn about religions at all.  Non theists are pretty much apathetic to the whole argument and prefer to ignore religious debates and do not identify with atheism, nor with any other religion.  They are just themselves, whether they believe in God or not.  I personally appreciate nontheists over atheists any day.  They don't give me shit, I don't give them shit, we're all cool and don't worry about a thing, whereas most atheists I've come in contact with are pretty militant and repeatedly try to convert me to atheism.

Puke

• Sarcasm Overlord
  • FTL Creative Team
  • Rock on!
    • View Profile
    • Dooms Day Device Photography
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2008, 06:32:44 AM »

Dooms Day Device Photography = www.dooms-day-device.com
Iraq Veterans Against the War - www.ivaw.org
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  What is your Religion

// ]]>

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 37 queries.