Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  What is your Religion

Poll

What is your Religion

Atheism
- 19 (24.4%)
Christianity
- 7 (9%)
Jewish
- 1 (1.3%)
Catholic
- 1 (1.3%)
Hinduism
- 0 (0%)
Buddhism
- 1 (1.3%)
Rastafarianism
- 1 (1.3%)
Islam
- 3 (3.8%)
Taoism
- 1 (1.3%)
Neopaganism / Pagan
- 4 (5.1%)
Satanism
- 1 (1.3%)
Scientology
- 0 (0%)
Wiccan
- 0 (0%)
Pastafarian
- 0 (0%)
Animistic
- 0 (0%)
All Religions :D
- 1 (1.3%)
No Religion / Not Religious
- 19 (24.4%)
None of these
- 11 (14.1%)
Pantheism
- 2 (2.6%)
Judaism
- 2 (2.6%)
Asatru / Norse Gods
- 2 (2.6%)
Discordian/Subgenius
- 1 (1.3%)
Pantheist
- 1 (1.3%)
Government
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Voting closes: December 20, 2035, 01:27:29 PM

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 21   Go Down

Author Topic: What is your Religion  (Read 53074 times)

Porcupine_in_MA

Re: What is your Religion
« Reply #255 on: August 17, 2008, 12:04:02 AM »

Those are all Christian examples. Do you have an Islamic Example? I'm not arguing with you. It's alot of history, I don't know for sure. From what I've read Islamic Empires conquered without forced conversions, and there are only a couple of tyrants, and a handful of modern Radicals that forced conversion in their own lands. I'll do the research myself if you'll point me in a direction.

The Mughal and Turk invaders forcibly converted millions of people in Afghanistan, Pakistan and India to Islam. The Jizia and several other oppressive taxes and rules were forced down upon the Kafirs/Infidels. A few examples.

The Muslim Agorist

• FTL Creative Team
  • Join the Counter Economy
    • View Profile
    • The San Francisco Muslim Examiner
« Reply #256 on: August 17, 2008, 12:17:26 AM »

The Mughal and Turk invaders forcibly converted millions of people in Afghanistan, Pakistan and India to Islam. The Jizia and several other oppressive taxes and rules were forced down upon the Kafirs/Infidels. A few examples.

Cool thanks
"The Greatest Jihad is to speak a word of truth in the face of a tyrant."
~Prophet Muhammad

I'm tired of Repeating Myself

H. Rearden

« Reply #257 on: August 17, 2008, 12:21:51 AM »

Am I missing something? I've never heard of any group conquering to convert. I've only heard of forced conversions from any faith in the context of a response to a wave of conversions out of a faith, or a as a kind of ideological genocide inside an existent empire.

Religion has been used as an excuse or one of the reasons to conquer. The Spanish conquestidors (or conquerors) brout religious leaders with them to the Americas to convert the Indians they didn't kill. REligion has been used as a tool of assimilation which was the case when the U.S. government implemeted it's policy of assimilating Indians. Indian children were forced to attended government schools established specifically for them and they were taught christianity. Even if a conquering military does not force conversion they have imposed religious laws and customs. Certainly there have been religions that have a holy book that say that they are to convert their enemies.

H. Rearden

« Reply #258 on: August 17, 2008, 12:26:52 AM »

Those are all Christian examples. Do you have an Islamic Example? I'm not arguing with you. It's alot of history, I don't know for sure. From what I've read Islamic Empires conquered without forced conversions, and there are only a couple of tyrants, and a handful of modern Radicals that forced conversion in their own lands. I'll do the research myself if you'll point me in a direction.

That would explain in part why today there are many people in those places who are islamists. Of course Pakistan split from India over religion.

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: August 17, 2008, 12:29:17 AM »

I thought shellfish was haram.....................

..derr..

I thought Harems smelled like shellfish..

(Pardon the grosse trollishness of this post, couldn't resist given the circumstances. It is an interesting discussion..)
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

The Muslim Agorist

• FTL Creative Team
  • Join the Counter Economy
    • View Profile
    • The San Francisco Muslim Examiner
« Reply #260 on: August 17, 2008, 12:34:38 AM »

..derr..

I thought Harems smelled like shellfish..

(Pardon the grosse trollishness of this post, couldn't resist given the circumstances. It is an interesting discussion..)

"The Greatest Jihad is to speak a word of truth in the face of a tyrant."
~Prophet Muhammad

I'm tired of Repeating Myself

MacFall

• Agorist
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
  • No king but Christ; no law but liberty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: August 17, 2008, 11:17:47 PM »

The reason pagan/tribal religions seem to have been less violent than modern theistic ones is because of the centralization of political power which corresponded to the rise of Christianity and Islam. Constantine didn't use Christianity to turn Rome into an engine of violence - he used the unprecedented concentration of power in Rome's state apparatus to use Christians as instruments of violence.

The Holy Roman Empire was a permutation of Roman central-statism, and it was the decentralized political environment of Medieval Europe that kept its expansion in check. Simultaneously, the Church kept the secular state powers from consolidating until the Protestant Reformation, at which point the nation state began to form in the vacuum.

I'm currently doing research for a book about this which will be called Pope and Pagan: A History of Church and State, from Nero to the Religious Right. It takes a sort of Hoppean view of European history, so I expect it will be very controversial amongst democracists. But it will probably be equally offensive to Christians of the Religious Right persuasion as well.
I am an anarchist! HOOGA BOOGA BOOGA!!

BonerJoe

« Reply #262 on: August 17, 2008, 11:19:08 PM »

permutation

Stop. Right there. Let me see your drivers license.

Taors

« Reply #263 on: August 17, 2008, 11:20:34 PM »

I think he wants your ass, dude.

BonerJoe

« Reply #264 on: August 17, 2008, 11:21:41 PM »

The whole religion thing makes my dick soft, so no.

Taors

« Reply #265 on: August 17, 2008, 11:23:32 PM »

You can't tell me you wouldn't want to corrupt a young Christian boy like MacFall.

BonerJoe

« Reply #266 on: August 17, 2008, 11:25:56 PM »

You can't tell me you wouldn't want to corrupt a young Christian boy like MacFall.

No, because then if I did he'd become all clingy and I'd have to break it off because of the Jesus shit and then he'd kill himself or something.

MacFall

• Agorist
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: August 17, 2008, 11:42:10 PM »

Pfft. Me being clingy is about as likely as all the politicians in Washington suddenly becoming libertarians and dissolving the state tomorrow morning.

In any case I am INCORRUPTIBLE*.

*beyond the level that is normal for a single hetero guy
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 11:44:30 PM by MacFall »

BonerJoe

« Reply #268 on: August 17, 2008, 11:44:03 PM »

No, because then if I did he'd become all clingy and I'd have to break it off because of the Jesus shit and then he'd kill himself or something.

Pfft. Me being clingy is about as likely as all the politicians in Washington suddenly becoming libertarians and dissolving the state.

You haven't experienced my charm.

MacFall

• Agorist
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: August 17, 2008, 11:45:00 PM »

You haven't experienced my charm.

That is an accurate statement.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 21   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  What is your Religion

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 36 queries.