Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  what is your favorite continent?

Poll

what is your favorite continent?

north america
- 16 (44.4%)
south america
- 1 (2.8%)
europe
- 1 (2.8%)
africa
- 0 (0%)
australia
- 5 (13.9%)
asia
- 6 (16.7%)
antartica
- 7 (19.4%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closes: February 07, 2106, 01:28:15 AM

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: what is your favorite continent?  (Read 6480 times)

mrapplecastle

what is your favorite continent?
« on: July 16, 2007, 12:12:19 AM »

I was gonna vote for north america, since it includes central america as well, but I decided I should vote for the continent that probably has the most freedom...antartica  :D

Ed

Re: what is your favorite continent?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 12:39:08 AM »

I like the architecture in Europe, so I voted for it.

zebraflood

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 12:55:57 AM »

Europe for me, too.

I've never been there, so my beautiful dreams haven't yet been destroyed by the ugly facts.

Ed

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 12:56:59 AM »

Europe for me, too.

I've never been there, so my beautiful dreams haven't yet been destroyed by the ugly facts.

That French people smell?

zebraflood

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 01:00:59 AM »

Scratch & sniff or it doesn't happen.

phantomofroute66

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 02:22:12 AM »

I was gonna vote for north america, since it includes central america as well, but I decided I should vote for the continent that probably has the most freedom...antartica  :D

Ironic considering that government workers comprise 100% of the population.

Gordee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 02:45:55 AM »

You could have given at least one criteria - favorite because of what?

Andy

• Verbose.
  • Ask me later.
    • View Profile
    • My Blawg
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 03:19:58 AM »

Ironic considering that government workers comprise 100% of the population.

Its only free because you probably won't get caught its governed by all kinds of restrictive treaties and shit.

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2007, 03:42:24 AM »

I think the US should be an option because we're the best.  At everything.

Gordee

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2007, 04:00:44 AM »

Did you know that European schools teach kids that there are 6 continents? North and South America make one. Some schools teach that there are 5. Besides North and South America, Europe and Asia (Euroasia) make one as well. Just FYI.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2007, 04:12:11 AM »

Asia. 

Every continent has its good points, obviously.  I'd like to see Egypt.  But modern life in Egypt probably sucks.  I'd like to see the cradle of civilization, the ancient city of Ur, and the Euphrates river, but we fucked that one up pretty good.

I'd like to see the backwaters of Europe, Istanbul, Prague, I don't know my geography all that well to debate the finer points of different cities historical significance.  But, they've all got history. 

The romantic illusions of foreign travel are not romantic illusions at all, they are factual cities and their existance is not insignificant. 

If I could shed my skin, Asia would be the continent for my deeper explorations. 

AlexLibman

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2007, 05:14:23 AM »

I voted North America!

Believe it or not, we live on the primest slice of the world's most valuable continent, both in terms of agricultural and mineral (esp Mexico) potential, as well as coastline, diversity of climates, forestry and fishing resources (esp Canada), etc, etc, etc.  No place on earth is hotter than Death Valley or colder than NA's northern islands.  (Technically Greenland is part of North America, and speaking in terms of plate tectonics, half of Iceland and small slices off eastern Siberia and northern Japan are too.)  The shape of the continent is important too, with tall being better than wide.

Also, no other continent can match NA's transportation infrastructure, from sea to shining sea, while many other continents are unevenly developed or difficult to access, especially inland Australia, parts of South America, Africa, and Western Asia.  Northern Canada and Alaska are far more accessible than similar longitudes of Russia.  NA is also far less polluted than parts of Europe and especially Asia, with the latter doomed to a lot more pollution in the future.

(A side comment: It's a bit unfair how Europe gets to be a separate continent while nobody even bothers to divide the remaining Asia, a huge and culturally diverse land mass that holds more than 2/3's of the world's population.  As their GDP rises, I think you'll inevitably start hearing the Middle East, South Asia, Southeast Asia, and East Asia listed in the same regional sub-category as Europe, with the term "Eurasia" being used more to describe them collectively.)

Free_Marketeer

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2007, 06:13:02 AM »

North America.  Lots of different climates and landscapes to play in.

Matyalynnrin

• FTL Shriner
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2007, 10:59:42 AM »

For Risk purposes I have to choose Australia, but for non game purposes I'll go with South America.

Jason Orr

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2007, 11:10:19 AM »

I voted for South America.  From the west coast, you can go from a beach to snow-capped mountains to the world's biggest rain forest in 7 hours.  Really interesting geography, cultures, and wildlife.  I want to go back and see more.
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money”

--Alexis de Tocqueville
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  what is your favorite continent?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 37 queries.