Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  What do you think of the police?

Poll

What is your general opinion of police officers?

Very Good
- 1 (1.5%)
Good
- 8 (11.8%)
Indifferent
- 10 (14.7%)
Poor
- 20 (29.4%)
Very Poor
- 29 (42.6%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: What do you think of the police?  (Read 7246 times)

Johnny_

What do you think of the police?
« on: November 29, 2006, 12:56:24 PM »

Recently with all this cop stuff floating around, there's been a lot of opinions expressed on police, and how trustworthy they are, etc.  But I'm wondering though if that's really the prevailing opinion, or just a subgroup of particularly loud people (after all, we all have certain issues we're more passionate about than others). 

This poll was made to try to get a general census of what members here on the FTL BBS think.  I think the options are self explanatory.  The question is just "in general" and not what you think of a certain bad cop you may have encountered, but your opinion on the police in general.  Police are invited to vote as well (not that I could stop ya).

mrapplecastle

Re: What do you think of the police?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 12:59:23 PM »

I cant imagine how this poll will turn out  :roll:

Johnny_

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 01:00:50 PM »

I cant imagine how this poll will turn out  :roll:

I don't know, I think it might be surprising.  Either way, I think it would be interesting to get more of a general handle on what people think, instead of assuming that certain posters represent everyone.  Then again, people who are indifferent towards police might be avoiding these threads, which means the results could get skewed.

Brent

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 01:07:54 PM »

My problem with the police is that to date, they've never helped me.  That is, I've never had some trouble and had an officer of the law solve the problem for me.  I know one guy who had his TV stolen from his apartment while he was out of town, and the cops didn't find it.  On the other hand, if I wanted to tally up the times they've bothered me either simply by hassling me or ticketing me for something or another, I'd have to use both hands and some toes.  This seems to be the experience of most people I know.  The funny thing is, I'm middle class and white.  I can only imagine what it would be like to deal with the swine as a poor black person.  Luckily, I've avoided any serious trouble with the law, although I have two good friends who have done jail time for pot possession.  (multiple offenses)  The fact that my life has been made worse, not better by these pigs, all while I'm being forced to pay their salaries, is why I hate them.

Gustav

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 05:07:09 PM »

They keep some people alive but I'd much rather have hired a private security firm to protect me than this current organization.

Evil Muppet

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 05:41:34 PM »

I don't have a problem with police in general.  Most of the police that I have run across and dealt with have been friendly, polite and professional.  If they are doing what they are supposed to be doing, they are not a problem.  This is the officer friendly peace officer.    

It is just that within recent years police have been taking on a different stance towards the people.  Instead of being the peace officer, many police are beginning to adopt more aggressive, more abusive attitudes.  They behave in a more authoritarian manner more suitable to a prison guard.  this is the whole militarization of police that people like that Balko guy talks about.  
Now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.

Taors

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2006, 05:50:57 PM »

I think most of them are too aggressive and get off on busting down doors and causing a ruckus in general. I know a lot of them aren't like that but from my experiences all the cops I've encountered have been.

Porcupine_in_MA

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2006, 06:08:58 PM »

I chose "Very Poor". I have had lots of bad experiences with cops and have known plenty of others who have.

seeNochanges913

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2006, 09:45:33 AM »

I would say indifferent. I've met cops that r just complete power wanting , buzz cut, dumb ass mofo's. But u cant say there r some that dont want to make a difference. Cus ive been caught with marijuana and all they did was give me a warning.

Dont get me wrong though. The police in general do need to take a good look at what their oath said. To uphold the contsitution i think it was.  :wink:

Lupus

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2006, 09:51:42 AM »

I chose very poor. While I have never had a horrifying experience with the cops, I have been hassled by them on a multitude of occasions. Also my mother dated a cop for several years. So I was able to get some candid insight on how this particualr group of cops (sheriffs) viewed the general populace. They have a very strong 'Us vs Them' mentality and viewed the public as thier pawns to mess with.

Taors

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2006, 09:54:54 AM »

I chose very poor. While I have never had a horrifying experience with the cops, I have been hassled by them on a multitude of occasions. Also my mother dated a cop for several years. So I was able to get some candid insight on how this particualr group of cops (sheriffs) viewed the general populace. They have a very strong 'Us vs Them' mentality and viewed the public as thier pawns to mess with.

Off topic but...was Neverwinter Nights 2 any good?

tones

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2006, 03:58:49 PM »

Most police are good, some are bad. Most urban forces are large enough to constitute a general sample of society, so you're going to have a few losers who exploit, distort and ruin the reputation of those who work hard to protect us. I would argue that more of the pencil-pushers in the conglomerate exist to serve the state than those who put their lives on the line--in response to the inevitable "they serve the state, not us!" The pencil-pushers and those seeking desk jobs are the ones who grow the force and experiment with different programs that tend to exceed the rights' of citizens. I believe most policemen are good, hard working folk.  I don't round up all libertarians into one boat, and I don't think we should of the force, either.

Lupus

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2006, 04:47:52 PM »

Off topic but...was Neverwinter Nights 2 any good?

The development environment is a major improvement over NWN 1. This is the area most important to me as I spend more time building than playing.

The system requirements are very heavy.

Overall I think they did a pretty decent job. A lot of interface improvements.

I don't really like what they did with the inventory screens, I.E. making all items take the same amount of visual space. In NWN1 armor took up like 6 squares, in NWN2 eveything is the same.

I've heard the official campaign is good, but I don't every play the OC, so I can't comment on it. But if you like online role-playing in custom worlds there is no other option.

Porcupine_in_MA

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2006, 08:18:15 PM »

They have a very strong 'Us vs Them' mentality and viewed the public as thier pawns to mess with.

Hell yeah they do.  :x

Johnny_

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2006, 08:29:02 PM »

They have a very strong 'Us vs Them' mentality and viewed the public as thier pawns to mess with.

Hell yeah they do.  :x

Yeah, it's not us that have that mentality, it's them!

:D
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  What do you think of the police?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 36 queries.