Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Vendor-Specific IT Certifications

Poll

Which vendor-specific IT certifications would you respect the most?

(None of the below / WTF / why am I even voting?)
- 0 (0%)
Microsoft
- 3 (23.1%)
Sun / Oracle / MySQL
- 4 (30.8%)
IBM
- 0 (0%)
HP
- 0 (0%)
SAP / Sybase
- 0 (0%)
Apple
- 2 (15.4%)
Adobe
- 0 (0%)
Novell
- 2 (15.4%)
Cisco
- 1 (7.7%)
Juniper
- 0 (0%)
Nortel
- 0 (0%)
VMware
- 0 (0%)
Red Hat
- 1 (7.7%)
Ubuntu
- 0 (0%)
Zend
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vendor-Specific IT Certifications  (Read 4832 times)

Alex Libman

• View Profile
    • libman.org
Vendor-Specific IT Certifications
« on: February 26, 2011, 11:07:49 PM »

Don't vote if your ideal choice is missing - let me know and I'll add it.  But keep in mind that this is just for vendor / product -specific certifications, so things like CompTIA don't apply.  Ya know how I feel about them standards committees...  :roll:

(Yes, I was biased to include BSD Certification, but it probably doesn't fit the criteria.)

Zhwazi

• Recovering Ex-Anarchocapitalist
    • View Profile
    • Ana.rchist.net
Re: Vendor-Specific IT Certifications
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 11:15:15 PM »

I chose MS, Oracle, and Redhat. MS because if you can get certified for a mess like Windows you've probably gotta be pretty sharp. Oracle because Oracle makes the most high-maintenance database ever made and if you can maintain it you've probably put up with a lot of crap to get there. Redhat because of horror stories as well.

Basically, the more complicated, bloated, and high-maintenance the product you can put up with and get certified to maintain and configure, the more respect I have for you.

I'll probably go for BSD certification soon, precisely because BSD is not a horrendous complicated bloated and high-maintenance mess like the three things I voted for (though less true of Redhat and Microsoft than of Oracle).

Alex Libman

• View Profile
    • libman.org
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 11:42:40 PM »

There seems to be significant perception bias in many IT circles (especially ones affecting younger people) that corporate software can't do anything right.  Microsoft software is pretty good when you consider all the balls they have to juggle - idiot users who don't like change, idiot users who like shiny things, hardware vendors (most Windows crashes come from non-MS drivers), government interventionism in a hundred different countries, stockholders, lawyers, etc. 

Oracle too has very valid excuses for being the way it is - it's pushing the boundaries of high-end scalability in places that often spend millions of dollars on server hardware and other infrastructure costs.  Requiring knowledgeable DBA TLC is a small price to pay in the great scheme of things.

I'll probably go for BSD certification soon, precisely because BSD is not a horrendous complicated bloated and high-maintenance mess like the three things I voted for (though less true of Redhat and Microsoft than of Oracle).

Awesome!  And thanks for reminding me to start up a new "Copyfree Software" thread.  ;)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 11:45:34 PM by Alex Libman »

Zhwazi

• Recovering Ex-Anarchocapitalist
    • View Profile
    • Ana.rchist.net
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 04:21:30 AM »

Microsoft stuff is good at what it sets out to do. The design goals do not appear to ever include "simple, streamlined, do one thing well, easy to understand and fix". They do seem to have traits like "backward-compatible, easy to use, do everything we can rationalize doing, with as much complexity as possible hidden from the user". Which encourages designs that are complicated, bloated, high maintenance, and impossible to understand. Which I don't forgive them for. :P

Redhat and Linux-specific stuff in general isn't good at what it sets out to do, but luckily it's also not good at making things easy. It's a hybrid between the Microsoft ethic of complex do-everything easy-to-use software and the ethic of simple, do-one-thing-well read-the-damn-manpage aspects of Unix philosophy, taking the worst of both worlds and creating pure computing evil. I've never had major issues with ports in FreeBSD, and I've never had a Linux install go a year without some kind of package corruption that was sufficiently difficult to recover from that I ended up just reinstalling, and I've tried lots of them from Ubuntu and CentOS to Gentoo and Linux-From-Scratch. Too many bad experiences with too many different distros. There's something in the water with those Linux folk.

Oracle, I fully understand why it is a complex high-maintenance piece of software that requires a fully qualified full-time DBA to operate. And I still don't forgive them! However anybody certified to do Oracle DBA gets my respect until proven unworthy.

Alex Libman

• View Profile
    • libman.org
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 01:52:09 AM »

Certification news roundup:

Pages: [1]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Vendor-Specific IT Certifications

// ]]>

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 37 queries.