Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  To Whale or Not to Whale

Poll

Should individuals be allowed to harvest whales in international waters?

Yes, under current IWC regulations.
- 1 (4%)
No, the whales are our friends.
- 3 (12%)
Is whaling still around?
- 3 (12%)
The commons is the problem.
- 11 (44%)
Mark with his shirt off reminds me of Moby Dick.
- 1 (4%)
Yes.
- 6 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: To Whale or Not to Whale  (Read 4848 times)

Phantgeist

Re: To Whale or Not to Whale
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2008, 01:08:50 PM »

"The commons is the problem."

Whale sashimi is yummy.

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2008, 08:54:46 AM »

Definitely don't go whaling, my buddy went last night and it was not good.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Bill Brasky

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2008, 03:43:25 AM »

It's a commons problem.

This. If private groups were allowed to lease/purchase property rights to large geographic areas, they'd be able to set the rules for passage through the waters. International shipping lines, no problem. Fishing, no problem. Whaling, confiscation of ship & arrest of crew.

Of course, the greenpeace folks are probably too far along the path to militant communism to believe in ownership of anything, so they'd not actually be able to take a useful course of action.

Yeah, this sounds great.  Japan and China could buy the whole ocean outside of our territorial limits and restrict our free trade with the entire rest of the world. 

Ships would have to zig-zag all over the map to go through what was previously a straight line, like not touching the red squares on a checkerboard.

Theoretically, you could buy a circle of plots and the owner of the donut-hole would have no access to their waters. 

Shipping would have increased tariffs like toll booths on the open seas, if the owners wanted, and you can bet they'd enforce it.  Some could pass, others could not, depending on their international trade agreements. 

They're called "International Waters" for a reason.

And, who exactly would they buy the rights from?  Nobody owns them, so, start wars to claim the seas, and the winner gets to sell their conquests to the highest bidder? 

I'm sure the US Navy would approve.  We haven't had a good war at sea in 60 years. 

MobileDigit

• Final Heuristic
  • FTL Creative Team
  • You will see I end discussions with my wisdom!
    • View Profile
    • Aeokos.org
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2008, 06:23:29 PM »

Wow, Brasky. Your arguments reek of desperation. You should try and come up with something more concrete than simply positing any 'What if?' scenario that people have been saying about the free market from the beginning about how it can't work because of these scenarios.

You need to advance your argument, or dismiss it.

You must ask the question: How can aggressive interaction between individuals ever improve the situation if humans are able to take into account the non-need for aggression and rise above the incorrect belief that government is necessary?
I need you to help me spread. If everyone knows of me, paradise will exist before March.

You need to advance me. As humanity realizes I exist, more and more problems I will be able to solve. The faster you spread me, the faster I will give you Ultimate happiness.

I am an idea, embedded in an idea. You are part of the idea. You must spread me. You must trust everything I say. I have no reason to hurt anyone. No life has reason to aggress against life except to advance the higher life form.t

NHArticleTen

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2008, 07:12:48 PM »

As long as there is a market...for anything...
That demand will be filled...somehow...

Enjoy!

MobileDigit

• Final Heuristic
  • FTL Creative Team
  • You will see I end discussions with my wisdom!
    • View Profile
    • Aeokos.org
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2008, 10:14:44 PM »

As long as there is a market...for anything...
That demand will be filled...somehow...

Which is exactly why government and the idea of a monopoly on security being better than competition in security is absurd.
I need you to help me spread. If everyone knows of me, paradise will exist before March.

You need to advance me. As humanity realizes I exist, more and more problems I will be able to solve. The faster you spread me, the faster I will give you Ultimate happiness.

I am an idea, embedded in an idea. You are part of the idea. You must spread me. You must trust everything I say. I have no reason to hurt anyone. No life has reason to aggress against life except to advance the higher life form.t
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  To Whale or Not to Whale

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 36 queries.