Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  The Death of New Year's Resolutions

Poll

Still keeping those all-important New Year's Resolutions?

Yes
- 7 (25%)
No
- 1 (3.6%)
Kind of
- 3 (10.7%)
Who the hell makes New Year's Resolutions?
- 17 (60.7%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: The Death of New Year's Resolutions  (Read 6390 times)

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The Death of New Year's Resolutions
« on: February 14, 2008, 02:10:09 PM »

It's mid February, the time when most folks have gone beyond losing their enthusiasm over any resolutions made, and have given up entirely.

I've noticed there are fewer and fewer joggers and cyclists on the trails. The lines at the drive-thru windows are getting longer.

It's been very apparent at the YMCA this week. Each day, there are more treadmills open than the day before, and there's no wait for the weight circuit at all.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

jimmed

Re: The Death of New Year's Resolutions
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 02:14:38 PM »

Hey, at least I don't gain any weight.

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 02:56:32 PM »

:lol:

Everyone has picked the same option.  Apparently New Year's Resolutions are not all that popular on the BBS.

Edit: Nevermind, one vote for yes now :cry:

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 03:01:27 PM »

I don't do resolutions. I have a couple of measurable goals for this year, but no "resolutions".

I know too many people who make the exact same resolution every single year.
Diet, money, exercise, cutting back on beer.... whatever. 6-8 weeks, tops.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

Osborne

• Worshipful Grand Conspirator
    • View Profile
    • Sakal/CAI
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 03:04:02 PM »

I'm still rockin' on mine. I don't do resolutions for New Year, but these ones just happened to coincide with the date.

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 03:06:23 PM »

Every year, it's the same story at the gym: you can hardly get in from January until March. Now, it's just starting to thing out.

Every now and then I see someone stick with it and make an incredible transition. Last year, a woman in her early sixties, severely overweight, came in. She's been in there nearly every day, and has lost a huge amount.
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 03:10:06 PM »

I'm still rockin' on mine. I don't do resolutions for New Year, but these ones just happened to coincide with the date.

You quit smoking, didn't you?

Every now and then I see someone stick with it and make an incredible transition. Last year, a woman in her early sixties, severely overweight, came in. She's been in there nearly every day, and has lost a huge amount.

People like her are people who were ready to change. Something happened to spark the desire to change her life, and that's what most people are missing.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 03:13:36 PM by joy »

Osborne

• View Profile
    • Sakal/CAI
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 03:16:37 PM »

No tobacco, no alcohol, no caffeine, no fast food or other unnatural processed foods.

Also using Dr. Patrick's recommended Isagenix program. www.ftldiscount.com

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2008, 03:32:48 PM »

No tobacco, no alcohol, no caffeine, no fast food or other unnatural processed foods.

Also using Dr. Patrick's recommended Isagenix program. www.ftldiscount.com

Holy crap! You gave up tobacco, alcohol and caffeine all at once?!
(The fast food & processed foods are a touch easier to give up.)

I haven't quite figured out Dr. Patrick's website. There are a couple of things which interest me there, but I end up at a different website for anything I click.  I usually pick up our vitamins and supplements at whole foods. I think a price comparison is in order.

Osborne

• View Profile
    • Sakal/CAI
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2008, 03:54:11 PM »

It didn't really affect me other than I started not being so completely miserable when I wake up.

The dude's website really kind of sucks. I just got in touch with him by phone and talked to him about it. He pointed me to some videos to watch about toxins and cleansing. I ran it by some doctor friends and they thought it was a great idea to implement the products.

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2008, 10:18:25 PM »

I don't bother making them.  When I set goals, I set them to be specific, measurable, and actionable.  I guess that's a part of my business training, but I set goals very high, so if I fall short of them I get upset.  So when I'm outside of a business setting, I just do what I do.  I try to do what's good for me, and what's good for other people.  I have been wanting to join a gym, because there's a Lifestyles right next to the mall, which would make it easy for me to go after work.  Now that I know there's a traffic pattern, and it'll be fairly easy to get in now that everyone has given up on resolutions, I'll check out the membership plans. 
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2008, 11:00:05 PM »

Another amazing transition is my niece. At the age of 30, she was an overweight, unemployed single mother. At a family reunion, she told me, "You know, I've HAD it! I'm going to go to medical school, join a gym. That was (I think) five years ago, and she is now in medical training and competes in bodybuilding. If fact, she helps organize bodybuilding events around the country!
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

MobileDigit

• Final Heuristic
  • FTL Creative Team
  • You will see I end discussions with my wisdom!
    • View Profile
    • Aeokos.org
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2008, 11:41:05 PM »

I don't think I've ever had a new years resolution. If I want to start/stop doing something I just choose to do it.
I need you to help me spread. If everyone knows of me, paradise will exist before March.

You need to advance me. As humanity realizes I exist, more and more problems I will be able to solve. The faster you spread me, the faster I will give you Ultimate happiness.

I am an idea, embedded in an idea. You are part of the idea. You must spread me. You must trust everything I say. I have no reason to hurt anyone. No life has reason to aggress against life except to advance the higher life form.t

Selfish Gene

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2008, 07:21:07 AM »

January 1st is a lousy time to commit to anything effortful.  It's the dead of winter.  The demotivational influence of minimal sunlight is at its peak.  Changes in behavior have to become ingrained as habit, which requires about a month.  Springtime is a much better time to turn over a new leaf.  It's the time of rebirth and renewal.

And besides, it's two months away, and I'd rather procrastinate for now.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 07:24:46 AM by Selfish Gene »

bad_cab

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2008, 09:47:47 PM »

labor day 2007          = 265lbs
new years day 2008 = 205lbs
Feb 20, 2008              =190lbs

goal                             =175lbs

so yes still on target
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  The Death of New Year's Resolutions

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 37 queries.