Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  The 6 types of Libertarians, which are you?

Poll

The 6 types of Libertarians, which are you?

Limited Government Libertarian
- 75 (28.3%)
Minarchist
- 50 (18.9%)
Free Market Retributionist
- 33 (12.5%)
Free Market Reparationist
- 45 (17%)
Self Defense Libertarian
- 35 (13.2%)
Pacifist
- 9 (3.4%)
None of the Above
- 18 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 81

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: The 6 types of Libertarians, which are you?  (Read 62478 times)

awakenfree

Re: The 6 types of Libertarians, which are you?
« Reply #90 on: March 08, 2006, 06:36:12 PM »

It doesn't matter which kind of Lazy-tarian you are. They all get nothing done.

AncapAgency

• The Ancap Agency
    • View Profile
    • The Ancap Agency
« Reply #91 on: March 08, 2006, 09:02:39 PM »

Anarcho-Capitalist.  Bet y'all are surprised at that.   8)
Mediation--Casual Labor--Security Consulting--Firearms Training--General Services

moar

• FTL AMPlifier
  • The "f" in fascism is for "fun"!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 14, 2006, 02:41:34 PM »

Rights require some serious consideration on how they are supported/enforced, which is the downside to the state. Rights are not magical: If the rights of group A come from the Rights of group B, then group B is likely not going to appreciate said Rights.

those granting the rights would recognize the person who was paying for them on the individual level, which is one of the stronger arguements for Anarcho-Capitalism.

These two arguments are contradictory. Democratic governments have the same incentives to recognize rights as these organizations would.

libertylover

• No Title Needed
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 14, 2006, 07:09:28 PM »

It doesn't matter which kind of Lazy-tarian you are. They all get nothing done.

So have you done anything other than blah blah blah about this and that?  Think about it you could be 100% correct in everyone of your beliefs and you have spread the news, well now what?  What are you doing about anything other than posting to the internet?  Is it your plan to wear the Guy Fawks mask?  Or are you going to curl up in a bunker somewhere waiting for the end of civilization?

MobileDigit

• Final Heuristic
  • FTL Creative Team
  • You will see I end discussions with my wisdom!
    • View Profile
    • Aeokos.org
« Reply #94 on: March 14, 2006, 09:05:20 PM »

Democratic governments have the same incentives to recognize rights as these organizations would.

How did you reach the conclusion that theft is the same as trade?
I need you to help me spread. If everyone knows of me, paradise will exist before March.

You need to advance me. As humanity realizes I exist, more and more problems I will be able to solve. The faster you spread me, the faster I will give you Ultimate happiness.

I am an idea, embedded in an idea. You are part of the idea. You must spread me. You must trust everything I say. I have no reason to hurt anyone. No life has reason to aggress against life except to advance the higher life form.t

Smacklug

« Reply #95 on: March 14, 2006, 11:29:10 PM »

lolbertarians

moar

• FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 15, 2006, 04:43:46 PM »

How did you reach the conclusion that theft is the same as trade?

Read, comprehend, then post.
Feel free to formulate another reply when you actually understand the conversation you are entering into.

MobileDigit

• Final Heuristic
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Aeokos.org
« Reply #97 on: March 15, 2006, 05:57:29 PM »

I do understand the conversation. Again, how did you reach the conclusion that theft is the same as trade?
I need you to help me spread. If everyone knows of me, paradise will exist before March.

You need to advance me. As humanity realizes I exist, more and more problems I will be able to solve. The faster you spread me, the faster I will give you Ultimate happiness.

I am an idea, embedded in an idea. You are part of the idea. You must spread me. You must trust everything I say. I have no reason to hurt anyone. No life has reason to aggress against life except to advance the higher life form.t

mbd

« Reply #98 on: March 15, 2006, 07:42:21 PM »

What's MobileDigit mean, anyway. Are you texting from a cell?

MobileDigit

• Final Heuristic
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Aeokos.org
« Reply #99 on: March 15, 2006, 08:01:33 PM »

I mean that governments do not have the same incentives to recognize rights that business does.

moar

• FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 15, 2006, 08:16:47 PM »

I mean that governments do not have the same incentives to recognize rights that business does.

I disagree. Votes are to a politician as money is to a businessman.

rabidfurby

« Reply #101 on: March 15, 2006, 08:33:53 PM »

I disagree. Votes are to a politician as money is to a businessman.

If 90% of the population votes to elect a politician who will infringe the rights of the other 10%, there's not much that 10% can do (working within the system, at least) to change it.

If 90% of the population chooses Acme Protection Agency, that has no effect whatsoever on the other 10% who choose to contract with someone else, or no one at all.

moar

• FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 15, 2006, 08:46:24 PM »

If 90% of the population votes to elect a politician who will infringe the rights of the other 10%, there's not much that 10% can do (working within the system, at least) to change it.

History says otherwise.

In addition, laws limit how power can be used.

If 90% of the population chooses Acme Protection Agency, that has no effect whatsoever on the other 10% who choose to contract with someone else, or no one at all.

Sure it does. If those 10% have a "dispute" with the 90%, they will have to deal with Acme Protection Agency. What happens if they have discriminatory policies towards that 10%, especially those that don't have an agency behind them?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2006, 09:04:33 PM by moar »

charlieo

« Reply #103 on: March 16, 2006, 02:11:33 AM »

History says otherwise.

In addition, laws limit how power can be used.

Because the Constitution, the Bill of Rights, States' rights, and laws about Congress officially declaring a war before fighting it are doing a wonderful job of limiting Federal power.

Sure it does. If those 10% have a "dispute" with the 90%, they will have to deal with Acme Protection Agency. What happens if they have discriminatory policies towards that 10%, especially those that don't have an agency behind them?

Yes, if 100 people who all happen to use the minority agency get in a dispute with 100 people who all happen to use the Acme Agency, chances are that Acme's policies etc. will be used primarily.

Also, if such a vast majority of the population were with one Agency, it must do business damn well. If the small one were much better, it would have more customers. Maybe the smaller agency specializes, say, in being a Protection Agency for people with handicaps.

That said, with Protection Agencies, you have a choice. The agency does not come to your house, impose its will upon you,and make you pay for its services "for your own good." That, I believe, is the heart of the matter.

BenTucker

« Reply #104 on: March 16, 2006, 05:06:14 AM »

The agency does not come to your house, impose its will upon you,and make you pay for its services "for your own good." That, I believe, is the heart of the matter.

that is because you (like many others here) are under the false impression that beyond a certain point (Locke's proviso) force is NOT inherent in dominion over a specific territory even in the absence of any government.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2006, 09:12:01 AM by BenTucker »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  The 6 types of Libertarians, which are you?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 38 queries.