Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  The 6 types of Libertarians, which are you?

Poll

The 6 types of Libertarians, which are you?

Limited Government Libertarian
- 75 (28.3%)
Minarchist
- 50 (18.9%)
Free Market Retributionist
- 33 (12.5%)
Free Market Reparationist
- 45 (17%)
Self Defense Libertarian
- 35 (13.2%)
Pacifist
- 9 (3.4%)
None of the Above
- 18 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 81

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: The 6 types of Libertarians, which are you?  (Read 62477 times)

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
Re: The 6 types of Libertarians, which are you?
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2006, 11:30:29 AM »

Sometimes yes and sometimes no but isn't everyone.  You know you set yourself up for that one.
You are saying none of these off the rack Libertarian styles are a best fit for you .  Then why don't you post  your beliefs taylor made as to what kind of Libertarian you are. 

Here are some more off the rack suggestions mostly for entertainment purposes:

The FENG SHUI Libertarian - You attempt to achieve the most harmonious arrangement of your beliefs in freedom that benefit you the greatest and harming others the least.

The Wanderlust Libertarian - You sway from one Libertarian arch type to another dependent upon who you are physically closest to at any give time and how much influence they have over you.

The Contrarian Libertarian - You love to attend meetings and debate endlessly about insignificant points.  When a vote comes up and everyone agrees you will still vote no just to be different and difficult.

The Little Orphan Annie Libertarian - You feel orphaned by the other political parties as a candidate and this is your last shot at Daddy Warbucks so you join the Libertarian party to run for political office.

About the best break down I've seen.  :lol:

On a good day, I'm Feng Shui. But when I'm in a bad mood, I just want to let it all fall apart, then rebuild everything later from the ground up.
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

Rebel

• Womanizer
  • FTL AMPlifier Platinum
  • Detroit's Finest
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2006, 01:18:38 PM »

I chose minarchist, but I'm a little of everything. 

JetlagQ

• Take it up with my DRO...
  • FTL Creative Team
  • ...I love Mises to pieces
    • View Profile
    • Black and Gold
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2006, 03:31:20 PM »

This is similar in essence to the "Worlds Smallest Political Quiz" - only it focuses on one quadrant. There's another dimension though - having to do with property rights such as what is property and what does ownership entail?

I bring this up mostly because of the Georgists/Geolibertarians - bless their souls - who have helped me understand my own positions on these matters better.

Some examples:

1. What do you consider property:

a) Your Body
b) The fruits of your labors
c) Land / other natural (at one point unowned) resources
d) Intellectual property

2. What is ownership?

a) control use of the property
b) benefit from the property (examples: mining rights and rent)
c) transfer or sell the property
d) exclude others from the property.

and which kinds of property can you exercise which types or ownership rights?

thoughts?
There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him.

lapafrax

« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2006, 04:05:21 PM »

geo-mutualist...freemarket anti-capitalist.

What's a free market anti-capitalist?

BenTucker

« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2006, 04:52:25 PM »

rabidfurby

« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2006, 05:44:18 PM »

http://www.mutualist.org/

One of the articles on that website is "AUSTRIAN AND MARXIST THEORIES OF MONOPOLY-CAPITAL: A Mutualist Synthesis". If it wasn't so insanely long (27,509 words plus a few hundred citations), I might read it to see how in the world you guys deluded yourselves into thinking Austrian economics and Marxism can ever be combined.

CivilianJones

« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2006, 06:57:43 PM »

Yeah... I read the article there, and it's pretty crappy. (BTW, my first post here)

Our ultimate vision is of a society in which the economy is organized around free market exchange between producers, and production is carried out mainly by self-employed artisans and farmers, small producers' cooperatives, worker-controlled large enterprises, and consumers' cooperatives.  To the extent that wage labor still exists (which is likely, if we do not coercively suppress it), the removal of statist privileges will result in the worker's natural wage, as Benjamin Tucker put it, being his full product.

These guys want to enforce smaller companies, and how would you do that in a free society?  Government restricting bigger companies!  That's crap.  Or you might have some laws that encourage small businesses unfairly against larger businesses.

Freemarket anti-capitalist 'mutualist' is bozo.

BenTucker

« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2006, 09:00:35 PM »

Yeah... I read the article there, and it's pretty crappy. (BTW, my first post here)

Our ultimate vision is of a society in which the economy is organized around free market exchange between producers, and production is carried out mainly by self-employed artisans and farmers, small producers' cooperatives, worker-controlled large enterprises, and consumers' cooperatives.  To the extent that wage labor still exists (which is likely, if we do not coercively suppress it), the removal of statist privileges will result in the worker's natural wage, as Benjamin Tucker put it, being his full product.

These guys want to enforce smaller companies, and how would you do that in a free society?  Government restricting bigger companies!  That's crap.  Or you might have some laws that encourage small businesses unfairly against larger businesses.

Freemarket anti-capitalist 'mutualist' is bozo.

state privileges like limited liability allow companies to grow way beyond what is natural...

thus the costs for goods sold by corporations don't include the risks that are being assumed by society.

also, other negative externalities reward corporations by making the costs paid for products cheaper.

rabidfurby

« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2006, 09:18:33 PM »

state privileges like limited liability allow companies to grow way beyond what is natural...

thus the costs for goods sold by corporations don't include the risks that are being assumed by society.

also, other negative externalities reward corporations by making the costs paid for products cheaper.

Most libertarians would agree with you that state-supported corporations need to be done away with. However, in a free market some sort of business liability insurance would arise that would offer businesses many of the same benefits they get from incorporating, only on a voluntary basis. Given that, there is no reason to believe businesses would be any smaller than they are today. They may even be larger than they are today, as a side effect of replacing government regulation with private solutions.

I don't think that's what the mutualists are after, though - as Marxists in sheep's clothing, they hold on to that silly little notion that one person making a profit harms other people. Businesses make profits; ones that make lots of profits tend to grow, and therefore big businesses are evil.

BenTucker

« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2006, 09:29:38 PM »

http://www.mutualist.org/

One of the articles on that website is "AUSTRIAN AND MARXIST THEORIES OF MONOPOLY-CAPITAL: A Mutualist Synthesis". If it wasn't so insanely long (27,509 words plus a few hundred citations), I might read it to see how in the world you guys deluded yourselves into thinking Austrian economics and Marxism can ever be combined.

most articles on the site are actually part of a book that he sells called "Studies in Mutualist Political Economy"

BenTucker

« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2006, 09:37:52 PM »

Most libertarians would agree with you that state-supported corporations need to be done away with. However, in a free market some sort of business liability insurance would arise that would offer businesses many of the same benefits they get from incorporating, only on a voluntary basis. Given that, there is no reason to believe businesses would be any smaller than they are today. They may even be larger than they are today, as a side effect of replacing government regulation with private solutions.

I don't think that's what the mutualists are after, though - as Marxists in sheep's clothing, they hold on to that silly little notion that one person making a profit harms other people. Businesses make profits; ones that make lots of profits tend to grow, and therefore big businesses are evil.

business liability insurance would have to be purchased on the open market and therefore the price of their goods would be MORE expensive than the smaller firm that is producing locally.

ladyattis

« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2006, 09:40:20 PM »

And Ben Tucker keeps preaching his idealogy without falsification. Try Karl Popper first, Benny, before posting again. You're starting to sound like a religious nut.

-- Bridget

Karrde188

• T.S.A. Jorge the Jedi
  • The Right is wrong & the Left is stupid
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook profile
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2006, 12:09:20 AM »

Free-Market Retributionist would best describe me

Brandon

« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2006, 06:38:50 PM »

This really is an interesting discussion. I'm glad to see that the different sub-catagories of the term Libertarian are being defined.

The term libertarian is a broad one, but still over applied to many politicians in office.

It is important to have well defined terms, and this is a good step in that direction. 

Porcupine_in_MA

« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2006, 01:23:46 AM »

Minarchist.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  The 6 types of Libertarians, which are you?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 37 queries.