Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Text editor

Poll

What's your text editor of choice?

vi/vim
- 10 (37%)
Emacs
- 2 (7.4%)
Notepad
- 5 (18.5%)
Kate
- 4 (14.8%)
gedit
- 3 (11.1%)
Pico
- 1 (3.7%)
Visual Studio
- 2 (7.4%)
KWrite
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Text editor  (Read 8701 times)

cerpntaxt

Text editor
« on: February 12, 2007, 05:32:38 PM »

I'm a vi man, myself  :)

MobileDigit

• Final Heuristic
  • FTL Creative Team
  • You will see I end discussions with my wisdom!
    • View Profile
    • Aeokos.org
Re: Text editor
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 06:14:06 PM »

A steep learning curve means that you reach the top quickly, so the pictures aren't accurate.
I need you to help me spread. If everyone knows of me, paradise will exist before March.

You need to advance me. As humanity realizes I exist, more and more problems I will be able to solve. The faster you spread me, the faster I will give you Ultimate happiness.

I am an idea, embedded in an idea. You are part of the idea. You must spread me. You must trust everything I say. I have no reason to hurt anyone. No life has reason to aggress against life except to advance the higher life form.t

cerpntaxt

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 06:16:10 PM »

A steep learning curve means that you reach the top quickly, so the pictures aren't accurate.
What? No one said anything about steepness. If you want to talk about shapes of learning curves, shouldn't we be talking about concavity?

AlexLibman

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 06:50:45 PM »

Sadly, I've spent the early 90s in DOS instead of *NIX, and my family was dirt-poor so I didn't upgrade to a Windows-capable PC right away.  So I've used a lot of editors based on DOS IDE's like Turbo Pascal and Quick BASIC, as well as BBS mail / terminal-based editors like IceEdit.  My BBS-based ISP also provided e-mail access through pine, so pico / nano were the first *NIX editors I've used. 

I'm fairly proficient with vi-like editors now, but prefer to use a KDE-based editor (kate or kdevelop) whenever in GUI.  I still find myself using vim for config file editing though.  Never liked emacs - too LISPy, and too 1980s MIT.

Didn't really use a RAD IDE since C++Builder / VS6.  For a while I used to use UE Studio when in Windows, but I've since returned to using any freeware Windows editor I happen to bump into, like the Crimson Editor.  I use SftpDrive to edit remote files.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 08:25:18 PM by AlexLibman »

MobileDigit

• Final Heuristic
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Aeokos.org
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 07:07:15 PM »

What? No one said anything about steepness.

The picture of the Vi learning curve shows it being steep. If it were steep, it would not take long before you had mastered it.

I need you to help me spread. If everyone knows of me, paradise will exist before March.

You need to advance me. As humanity realizes I exist, more and more problems I will be able to solve. The faster you spread me, the faster I will give you Ultimate happiness.

I am an idea, embedded in an idea. You are part of the idea. You must spread me. You must trust everything I say. I have no reason to hurt anyone. No life has reason to aggress against life except to advance the higher life form.t

cerpntaxt

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 07:12:29 PM »

Well that picture is obviously a joke :) I got it from the Emacs wiki so it's obviously biased. The idea is that to use vi you have to know every little thing about it and then you can't go anywhere from there. Which is obviously false. Whatever. It's a funny picture.

MobileDigit

• Final Heuristic
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Aeokos.org
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 09:30:35 PM »

The idea is that to use vi you have to know every little thing about it and then you can't go anywhere from there.

Then the picture should look like this:

cerpntaxt

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2007, 09:37:37 PM »

No it would be logistic. Something like this:

Must we split this hair further?

Johnny_

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2007, 11:35:30 PM »

cerpntaxt

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2007, 04:52:26 AM »

Will no one dispute the claim that vi is infinitely superior to Emacs?

adamruth

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2007, 05:30:19 AM »

Is this what we've come to?  Atheist vs. Agnostic, Minarchist vs. Anarchist, and now vi vs. Emacs?  Why not add some more:

Python vs. Perl
Opening brace on new line vs. Opening brace on same line
Little edian vs. Big endian
Tabs vs. Spaces
Reference semantics vs. Value semantics
Linux vs. BSD
MySQL vs. PostgreSQL

and my personal favourite

Mountain Dew vs. Jolt

ladyattis

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2007, 08:32:59 AM »

vi FTW! NUBS!

-- Bridget is nuts 'cause she's learning to code in C++, LISP, and JAVA at the same time.... :shock:

adamruth

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2007, 03:11:59 PM »

vi FTW! NUBS!

-- Bridget is nuts 'cause she's learning to code in C++, LISP, and JAVA at the same time.... :shock:

I'm sorry to hear about C++ and Java, they both blow.  But Lisp is great, it's a lot of fun.

cerpntaxt

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2007, 03:17:43 PM »

Is this what we've come to?  Atheist vs. Agnostic, Minarchist vs. Anarchist, and now vi vs. Emacs?  Why not add some more:

Python vs. Perl
Opening brace on new line vs. Opening brace on same line
Little edian vs. Big endian
Tabs vs. Spaces
Reference semantics vs. Value semantics
Linux vs. BSD
MySQL vs. PostgreSQL

and my personal favourite

Mountain Dew vs. Jolt
I was hoping to lighten the mood  :lol:

adamruth

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2007, 03:20:38 PM »

I was hoping to lighten the mood  :lol:

You've forced all of us geeks to expose ourselves.  Anyone with a dog in this race is truly a nerd.     :shock:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Text editor

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 37 queries.