Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Should we change our show's tagline?

Poll

The show's slogan: What should it be?

"Talk Radio You Control"
"Talk Radio's Insurrection"

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Should we change our show's tagline?  (Read 27195 times)

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
Re: Should we change our show's tagline?
« Reply #90 on: October 29, 2005, 12:30:43 PM »

Sorry man, those were pretty bad.   :P

I don't know.  Usually less picky = more success.
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

sarararar

« Reply #91 on: October 29, 2005, 06:39:38 PM »

I want a bulldog.

Johnson, I went to the emergency room today, aren't you sad.

fourthgeek

« Reply #92 on: October 29, 2005, 10:21:51 PM »

"Eliminating Fascism, one bureaucrat at a time."

:D

Johnson

• Tactless Skeptic
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 18, 2008, 03:42:05 AM »

I edited this poll slightly to make it more current and reset the vote count... at the time of my edit - Talk Radio You Control was ahead by 5% @ 4 votes ahead...

I'm curious what people think now ...

(and apparently I missed that Sarararar went to the hospital... ) That is a barrel of suck... Hopefully she is OK.. haven't seen her on the forums in a long time...

My opinion on this is that it is a little arrogant to claim (especially in a slogan) to be Talk Radio's ANYTHING. It's like Howard Stern claiming to be the King of All Media... It makes him sound like the King of all douchebags.

Also.. as has been gone over... insurrection is a word many people might not know, but sounds like Erection... which is ironically what the slogan sounds like to me... - dick waving.

I think the other slogan is more principled... It explains a bit about the show... It's a statement of intent... and conceptually helps sell the show.

I don't think lefties are going to think of FTL as an insurrection after listening for a short while... Extreme politics doesn't make lefties think of a radio show as a rebellion of any sort unless FTL was engaged in actively breaking laws... (swearing... subversion... plotting a real revolution... etc)

I think the righties will see the word insurrection and dismiss the show as hot talk rebellious nonsense. Or they'll misread the word insurrection as erection, and do the same thing.

I think to sell to a Libertarian minded audience... Talk Radio You Control is the better slogan.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 03:44:22 AM by Johnson »
"In silent resignation, one must never submit to them voluntarily, and even if one is imprisoned in some ghastly dictatorship's jail, where no action is possible - serenity comes from the knowledge that one does NOT accept it. To deal with men by force, is as impractical as to deal with nature by persuasion... Which is the policy of savages who rule men by force, and who plead with nature by prayers, incantations and bribes (sacrifies)." - Ayn Rand

EddM

« Reply #94 on: January 20, 2008, 07:35:37 PM »

Agreed. "Insurrection" resonates as something aggressive. While that usually is the point of an insurrection, I think it would serve to scare off more than it pulls in.

"Talk radio you control" will appeal to more than just the libertarian crowd if you ask me.

MobileDigit

• Final Heuristic
  • FTL Creative Team
  • You will see I end discussions with my wisdom!
    • View Profile
    • Aeokos.org
« Reply #95 on: January 20, 2008, 07:40:46 PM »

I like insurrection because it sounds cool. I can understand the costs outweighing the benefits, though.
I need you to help me spread. If everyone knows of me, paradise will exist before March.

You need to advance me. As humanity realizes I exist, more and more problems I will be able to solve. The faster you spread me, the faster I will give you Ultimate happiness.

I am an idea, embedded in an idea. You are part of the idea. You must spread me. You must trust everything I say. I have no reason to hurt anyone. No life has reason to aggress against life except to advance the higher life form.t

Morpheus

• Bureaucratic Kryptonite
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 24, 2008, 05:23:42 PM »

I like the concept of "insurrection" despite the fact that is sounds like a reference to an uncooperative phallus.

As for a new tag line, I recommend the scientific method, which is to use some of your favorite tag lines in Google Adwords ads (Free Talk Live at the top, tag line on the bottom) and see which one gets the best click through. Once you have 1000 clicks or so, I'd say you have a statistically valid and unbiased vote for the tag line that folks have the most affinity for.

Here's another one to add to the pile: "Your daily inoculation against fascism."
"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at

Arcey

« Reply #97 on: January 28, 2008, 01:47:40 AM »

What say ye?

I'm sure this is old news by now, but..

'Insurrection' is extremely cliche'; sort of like 'The Revenge', 'Revolution', or 'Final Conflict' in movie titles.

What about 'FTL: A Way of Life'

It has a double-meaning. Or something :-)

Of course I still like 'Talk Radio You Control'. It's simple, inviting, and non-committal.

SnowDog

• Principled Minarchy is the Answer
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 28, 2008, 05:40:23 AM »

I don't know that you're getting a good readership in this old thread. When I saw it, I almost left immediately, thinking that it was a rogue comment on a 2 year old discussion.

Johnson

• Tactless Skeptic
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 28, 2008, 01:54:11 PM »

i think the fact that it's stickied, and staying at the top of the forum should have an effect upon negating that.... people will eventually notice that the thread keeps getting new replies... although... I don't know how long I'd even need to keep this at the top... "insurrection" has about as much support as Bush...
"In silent resignation, one must never submit to them voluntarily, and even if one is imprisoned in some ghastly dictatorship's jail, where no action is possible - serenity comes from the knowledge that one does NOT accept it. To deal with men by force, is as impractical as to deal with nature by persuasion... Which is the policy of savages who rule men by force, and who plead with nature by prayers, incantations and bribes (sacrifies)." - Ayn Rand

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 30, 2008, 05:03:04 PM »

I can't separate insurrection from erection enough in my mind.  I don't have a problem with the current tagline.  I think it works pretty well for the show.

Dave The Dope Man

« Reply #101 on: February 09, 2008, 04:33:07 PM »

Option 1 is better.  Too many simpletons will confuse Insurrection with Insurgents.

Harry Tuttle

• Please don't feed the elitists
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 14, 2008, 12:57:32 AM »

Revolution would resonate with folks better than insurrection, but that might seem more stale.

Just keep the current one.
"If you're giving up your freedom to have freedom you don't have freedom, dummy."              - Mark Edge (10/11/08 show)

BKO

• FTL unAMPlifier Aluminum
  • Death is only the beginning.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 18, 2008, 03:08:23 PM »

Not that it is still on the table, but I believe, having listened to at least 4 episodes but no more than 6, that the slogan does need a change. Therefore, I suggest "Free Talk Live, even Houston didn't have this many problems."

The listeners, I feel, would appreciate the honesty. Oh, and uh...good luck with the FSP. Keep chugging along, now.

Toot, toot.

Johnson

• Tactless Skeptic
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 18, 2008, 06:09:16 PM »

brokor,, you still haven't figured it out. We will always have problems, because unlike other radio shows, our libertarian philosophy means that we won't silence you.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Should we change our show's tagline?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 38 queries.