Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Should there be a law?

Poll

Should there be a law that prohibits politicians from voting for the office which they are seeking to be elected?

Yes.
- 4 (17.4%)
No.
- 19 (82.6%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Should there be a law?  (Read 3468 times)

bakerbaker

Should there be a law?
« on: September 13, 2008, 04:22:18 AM »

"Should there be a law that prohibits politicians from voting for the office which they are seeking?"

:?

A simple notion that surfaced as a tangent in the midst of conversation.  wondering what all you all in ftlbbsland think about it.

as if one vote ever made a difference, but what about the symbolism?
and if they are allowed to vote:
     would you consider it bad taste for a politician to vote for themselves in an election?
     would you consider it in good taste for a politician to abstain from voting at all?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 04:33:59 AM by |3.4.K.3.R »

Selfish Gene

Re: Should there be a law?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 04:45:07 AM »

Should there be a law that prohibits politicians from voting for the office which they are seeking to be elected?
No.

No.

No.

I answered "no" to the entire question as well, in order to be consistent with answer #1.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 04:47:31 AM by Selfish Gene »

bakerbaker

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 04:55:06 AM »

if a politician vote for his/her-self...

are you more likely to perceive it as confidence or arrogance?

AntonLee

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 05:41:11 AM »

No.

No.

extremely this

Selfish Gene

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 06:28:49 AM »

if a politician vote for his/her-self...

are you more likely to perceive it as confidence or arrogance?

Neither.  I perceive it as making a show of endorsing the system.

NHArticleTen

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 09:55:44 AM »

YixilTesiphon

• FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008, 07:24:36 PM »

Ideally, aren't you always supposed to be voting for yourself?
And their kids were hippie chicks - all hypocrites.

tanstaafl1981

• Prepare to Die.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2008, 08:11:13 PM »

No.

No.

No.

I answered "no" to the entire question as well, in order to be consistent with answer #1.

this. again.
Hoje acordei sem lembrar, se vivi ou se sonhei

Sam A. Robrin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 08:21:09 PM »

Laws restricting politicians are the ones I'm likely to carp least loudly about.
I think just to run for office, a candidate should be required to pass a tough, graduate-school-level exam on history, economics, etc., and spend two months incognito in a maximum-security prison.  And any form of malfeasance in public office should be treated as an act of treason, with appropriate penalties.  I'm still making up my mind about the oath of poverty, chastity, and obedience . . .

MacFall

• Agorist
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
  • No king but Christ; no law but liberty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2008, 10:53:17 PM »

Its kind of a tradition, the smiling politician getting his photo taken before he whisks the curtain closed. 

I don't mind it, and I don't think it should be prohibited.  I don't like it when things of a civilized nature are prohibited.  Ever. 

Just because nobody gets killed during the act itself doesn't mean that voting is civilized. An awful lot of people die as a result of the vote.

Voting is obfuscated and "legitimized" force, and for that reason it is all the more dangerous than naked aggression.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 10:56:11 PM by MacFall »
I am an anarchist! HOOGA BOOGA BOOGA!!

MacFall

• Agorist
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2008, 10:55:20 PM »

Laws restricting politicians are the ones I'm likely to carp least loudly about.
I think just to run for office, a candidate should be required to pass a tough, graduate-school-level exam on history, economics, etc., and spend two months incognito in a maximum-security prison.  And any form of malfeasance in public office should be treated as an act of treason, with appropriate penalties.  I'm still making up my mind about the oath of poverty, chastity, and obedience . . .

I'd go more along these lines: Being a politician should carry a minimum penalty of public flogging.

MacFall

• Agorist
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2008, 11:04:13 PM »

If we were in a pure and peaceful society that voted in leaders who cherished humanity and advanced the abilities of the nation, and used force to thwart only the largest of threats, you'd be all for it. 

In such a society, there would be no need for voting anyway, so I'd consider it to be an absurd waste of time. Which it is today, too, but a dangerous one as well.

But even putting that aside, no. I wouldn't support voting even to thwart the largest of threats, because voting would only get in the way of more competent people and more efficient means.

MacFall

• Agorist
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2008, 11:14:48 PM »

Yeah, sure.  Because every need would be filled, and every situation is profitable. 

If you think that voting could ever fill any need effectively, you've been seriously misled. Unless the need in question involves theft or murder, of course.

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2008, 10:08:12 AM »

Why not? If more than one person is running, as is usually the case, they are just going to cancel each other out anyway.

I love this silly argument that was used against allowing women to vote: "They will either vote the same way as their husband or the opposite way. In the first case, it's like giving him two votes. In the second, it's like taking away his vote, since the two will cancel each other out."
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

NHArticleTen

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2008, 10:28:24 AM »

Why not? If more than one person is running, as is usually the case, they are just going to cancel each other out anyway.

I love this silly argument that was used against allowing women to vote: "They will either vote the same way as their husband or the opposite way. In the first case, it's like giving him two votes. In the second, it's like taking away his vote, since the two will cancel each other out."

there is actually much "truth" to that concept...

hence the necessity to break up traditional family structures...at least for the slaves...

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Should there be a law?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 37 queries.