Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Seasteading?

Poll

Are international waters the best bet for "liberty in our lifetime"?

Yes - right next door to FSP, 200+ miles east of Rockingham
- 7 (9.1%)
Yes - an artificial seastead in warmer waters farther south of NH
- 12 (15.6%)
Yes - Free Isand Project on existing island around the Caribbean
- 13 (16.9%)
Yes - join Seasteading Institute's efforts in San Fransisco
- 5 (6.5%)
Yes - a specialized FOC cruise ship (ex)
- 6 (7.8%)
Yes - can't we just use Lindsey as a flotation device?
- 11 (14.3%)
Yes - something else
- 4 (5.2%)
No - it would divert efforts from better ideas
- 6 (7.8%)
No - terrible idea
- 7 (9.1%)
No - other
- 6 (7.8%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Seasteading?  (Read 18220 times)

Alex Libman

Seasteading?
« on: January 21, 2009, 10:34:46 AM »

8)

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
Re: Seasteading?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 10:41:39 AM »

After everything that has happened to other people who have tried this sort of thing, I'd say no.

"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

Jetfire

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 10:43:49 AM »

After everything that has happened to other people who have tried this sort of thing, I'd say no.

Others have tried?

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 10:50:32 AM »

Others have tried?

I'm pretty sure that there was a group who bought an ocean liner for exactly this purpose and were raided by pirates.

Ecolitan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 10:56:47 AM »

I'm pretty sure that there was a group who bought an ocean liner for exactly this purpose and were raided by pirates.

Scientology has a big boat they use for this purpose, I don't know if they've had pirate issues.

Jetfire

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 11:01:15 AM »

We just need us some guns

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 11:52:33 AM »

Others have tried?

It's been done with some success. For example, Sealand. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principality_of_Sealand

Sealand survives because it is covered with a five-inch gun. Sovereignty comes from the ability to ensure its survival.
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

NHArticleTen

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 12:01:51 PM »

Others have tried?

not to mention that there is the HMS and USS fleets that can/could will/would...sink your project...

go figure...

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 12:14:15 PM »

It's been done with some success. For example, Sealand. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principality_of_Sealand

Sealand survives because it is covered with a five-inch gun. Sovereignty comes from the ability to ensure its survival.

Have you ever seen it? You wouldn't want to live there.

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 12:16:26 PM »

Also -

In 1978, while Bates was away, the Prime Minister of Sealand, Professor Alexander G. Achenbach, and several German and Dutch citizens led by Paul Trevisan staged a forcible takeover of Roughs Tower,[12] holding Bates' son Michael captive, before releasing him several days later in the Netherlands.[citation needed] Bates thereupon enlisted armed assistance and, in a helicopter assault, retook the fortress. He then held the invaders captive, claiming them as prisoners of war.[citation needed] Most participants in the invasion were repatriated at the cessation of the "war", but Achenbach, a German lawyer who held a Sealand passport, was charged with treason against Sealand,[12] and was held unless he paid DM 75,000 (more than US$ 35,000).[13] The governments of the Netherlands and Germany petitioned the British government for his release, but the United Kingdom disavowed all responsibility, citing the 1968 court decision.[citation needed] Germany then sent a diplomat from its London embassy to Roughs Tower to negotiate for Achenbach's release. Roy Bates relented after several weeks of negotiations and subsequently claimed that the diplomat's visit constituted de facto recognition of Sealand by Germany.[12] Following his repatriation, Achenbach established a "government in exile" in Germany,[12] in opposition to Roy Bates, assuming the name "Chairman of the Privy Council". He handed the position to Johannes Seiger in 1989 due to illness. Seiger continues to claim—via his website—that he is Sealand's legitimate ruling authority.[14]

Jetfire

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2009, 12:19:27 PM »

Have you ever seen it? You wouldn't want to live there.

1967 was a long time ago i bet they could build something alot better now.

Also -

In 1978, while Bates was away, the Prime Minister of Sealand, Professor Alexander G. Achenbach, and several German and Dutch citizens led by Paul Trevisan staged a forcible takeover of Roughs Tower,[12] holding Bates' son Michael captive, before releasing him several days later in the Netherlands.[citation needed] Bates thereupon enlisted armed assistance and, in a helicopter assault, retook the fortress. He then held the invaders captive, claiming them as prisoners of war.[citation needed] Most participants in the invasion were repatriated at the cessation of the "war", but Achenbach, a German lawyer who held a Sealand passport, was charged with treason against Sealand,[12] and was held unless he paid DM 75,000 (more than US$ 35,000).[13] The governments of the Netherlands and Germany petitioned the British government for his release, but the United Kingdom disavowed all responsibility, citing the 1968 court decision.[citation needed] Germany then sent a diplomat from its London embassy to Roughs Tower to negotiate for Achenbach's release. Roy Bates relented after several weeks of negotiations and subsequently claimed that the diplomat's visit constituted de facto recognition of Sealand by Germany.[12] Following his repatriation, Achenbach established a "government in exile" in Germany,[12] in opposition to Roy Bates, assuming the name "Chairman of the Privy Council". He handed the position to Johannes Seiger in 1989 due to illness. Seiger continues to claim—via his website—that he is Sealand's legitimate ruling authority.[14]

I guess if you couldn't create sufficient defense then it won't be succesful. But interesting to consider. At least its the first i ever heard of something like this.

BonerJoe

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2009, 12:20:15 PM »

Looks like a godawful place to live. I bet it smells like whore vagina.

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2009, 12:27:13 PM »

That pic was from 2007. Also, note the websites on the side of it.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 12:28:59 PM by John Shaw »

Jetfire

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2009, 12:32:45 PM »

That pic was from 2007. Also, note the websites on the side of it.

"In 1942, during World War II, HM Fort Roughs was constructed by the United Kingdom as one of the Maunsell Forts,"

Actually it was built even longer ago. I'm talking about when it was made not when we took snapshots of it. Certainly something far better could be produced now.

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2009, 12:34:32 PM »

"In 1942, during World War II, HM Fort Roughs was constructed by the United Kingdom as one of the Maunsell Forts,"

Actually it was built even longer ago. I'm talking about when it was made not when we took snapshots of it. Certainly something far better could be produced now.

I see. Either way, I wouldn't live on that shit. I'm not a fan of heights, and ocean air destroys just about everything that is cool, like electronics.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Seasteading?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 37 queries.