Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Sadness and Grief

Poll

Is sadness rational?

Yes.
- 19 (51.4%)
No.
- 6 (16.2%)
Sometimes.
- 12 (32.4%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Sadness and Grief  (Read 10149 times)

MobileDigit

• Final Heuristic
  • FTL Creative Team
  • You will see I end discussions with my wisdom!
    • View Profile
    • Aeokos.org
Sadness and Grief
« on: April 03, 2007, 12:36:56 PM »

I want to know your opinion.
I need you to help me spread. If everyone knows of me, paradise will exist before March.

You need to advance me. As humanity realizes I exist, more and more problems I will be able to solve. The faster you spread me, the faster I will give you Ultimate happiness.

I am an idea, embedded in an idea. You are part of the idea. You must spread me. You must trust everything I say. I have no reason to hurt anyone. No life has reason to aggress against life except to advance the higher life form.t

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
Re: Sadness and Grief
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 12:53:55 PM »

I could see clinical depression as being sometimes irrational.  You know, when you're sad and anxious all the time, even when there's no explainable reason for it.  But generally, if you have a reason to be sad it's a rational behavior and/or feeling. 
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

MobileDigit

• Final Heuristic
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Aeokos.org
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 01:01:58 PM »

if you have a reason to be sad it's a rational behavior and/or feeling. 

How does being sad help?
I need you to help me spread. If everyone knows of me, paradise will exist before March.

You need to advance me. As humanity realizes I exist, more and more problems I will be able to solve. The faster you spread me, the faster I will give you Ultimate happiness.

I am an idea, embedded in an idea. You are part of the idea. You must spread me. You must trust everything I say. I have no reason to hurt anyone. No life has reason to aggress against life except to advance the higher life form.t

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 01:05:55 PM »

if you have a reason to be sad it's a rational behavior and/or feeling. 

How does being sad help?

It's a natural reaction.  Are you telling me that when I came home and found out my father was dead, that my sadness was wrong? 
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

MobileDigit

• Final Heuristic
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Aeokos.org
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 01:15:16 PM »

It creates empathy with others and gains support and charity to aid in solving said problem.

Why can't one communicate to achieve this?

Are you telling me that when I came home and found out my father was dead, that my sadness was wrong? 

In that is does not accomplish anything.

MobileDigit

• Final Heuristic
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Aeokos.org
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 01:29:26 PM »

As that would be sympathy

Exactly how are you distinguishing them?

emotional bonds are more powerful than mental bonds.

What makes you believe that?

Humans are emotional creatures after all.

Oh, I thought we were rational creatures.

MobileDigit

• Final Heuristic
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Aeokos.org
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 03:37:52 PM »

Sympathy is a general understanding, empathy is deep personal attachment.

Why are you defining these terms this way?

what's the more effective motivator; Fear or the rational decision that it would be beneficial not to die.

I think it depends. Initially it might be fear, but if one realizes that the fear is irrational, it would not be a more effective motivator.

Oh, I thought we were rational creatures.
Not naturally

Then how does it come about initially?

have you ever seen a child act rationally?

If using reason to solve goals is acting rationally, then yes, I think they do so on their own.

We are taught rationality, we survive by instinct.

I don't think I could disagree more.

voodoo

• FTL AMPlifier Platinum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 03:52:55 PM »

Since sadness is an emotion, isn't it, by definition, irrational?  Or, are they wholly separate?
"It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself."  ~ Thomas Jefferson: Notes on Virginia Q.XVII, 1782. ME 2:222

MobileDigit

• Final Heuristic
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Aeokos.org
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 04:03:50 PM »

Since sadness is an emotion, isn't it, by definition, irrational?

You're right, but my question is what the benefit of sadness is.

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2007, 04:04:00 PM »

It can be rational, or irrational, depending on the circumstances. If a loved one dies, it's reasonable to be saddened by the event. But, I read today about a couple that committed suicide due to depression because their dog died.

Over-emotion, or inappropriate emotion can be due to a brain chemical imbalance.
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

MobileDigit

• Final Heuristic
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Aeokos.org
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2007, 04:08:56 PM »

If a loved one dies, it's reasonable to be saddened by the event.

What does being sad accomplish? The person is still dead.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2007, 09:39:33 PM »

Curiosity is any natural inquisitive behaviour, evident by observation in many animal species, and is the emotional aspect of living beings that engenders exploration, investigation, and learning.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curiosity

I win, you lose.  Your irrational interest in other peoples actions (creating these polls) shows you to be inquisitive, and thus proves emotional motivation. 

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2007, 11:40:02 PM »

Curiosity is any natural inquisitive behaviour, evident by observation in many animal species, and is the emotional aspect of living beings that engenders exploration, investigation, and learning.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curiosity

I win, you lose.  Your irrational interest in other peoples actions (creating these polls) shows you to be inquisitive, and thus proves emotional motivation. 

pwn3d.

Quote from: MobileDigit
What does being sad accomplish? The person is still dead.

Making you ask stupid fucking questions. 
         -George W. Bush

Taors

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2007, 11:47:14 PM »

What's the point of this thread? Why does it matter if emotions are rational or not?

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2007, 11:48:49 PM »

What's the point of this thread? Why does it matter if emotions are rational or not?

Obviously those of us with emotions are inferior.  :roll:  You make an excellent point, by the way. 
         -George W. Bush
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Sadness and Grief

// ]]>

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 38 queries.