Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Religion

Poll

what would you describe yourself as?

Roman Catholic
- 8 (8.2%)
Protestant
- 2 (2%)
Mormon
- 1 (1%)
Episcopal
- 2 (2%)
Some other branch of Christianity
- 10 (10.2%)
Muslim
- 1 (1%)
Agnostic
- 26 (26.5%)
Athiest (fight religion!)
- 18 (18.4%)
Athiest ("go with the flow")
- 16 (16.3%)
Judaism
- 2 (2%)
Any "Pagan" religeon
- 9 (9.2%)
Budhist
- 0 (0%)
Taoist
- 1 (1%)
Hindu
- 0 (0%)
Humanist
- 2 (2%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Religion  (Read 31222 times)

Taors

Re: Religion
« Reply #75 on: November 30, 2006, 08:37:13 PM »

You don't have to believe in the virgin birth to believe in God. The two are not synonymous. You just have to believe in the virgin birth to believe that Jesus Christ is God.

All I am saying is, don't dismiss the Christian claim on scientific grounds. I find that argument faulty since discovery in science relies precipitously on exceptions to the rule rather than the rules themselves. The "why" of something vs. the "because."

I'm not dismissing it on scientific grounds. I'm dismissing it on the grounds that most faith is derived from an old text that was probably not meant to be taken literal anyway. And there's a ton of Christians out there that believe Jesus is divine yet they don't believe in the virgin birth or any of that nonsense.

tones

« Reply #76 on: November 30, 2006, 08:56:47 PM »

Sure, Jesus could most certainly be divine without a virgin birth. My previous post was logically wrong.
I mean, divinity isn't begotten by immaculate conception.

All that being said, I still believe in the virgin birth, but you're point is well taken.

mike the godless heathen

• your friendly neighborhood atheist
  • life, meh
    • View Profile
    • Blog and what not.
« Reply #77 on: November 30, 2006, 09:09:49 PM »

i find the entire concept of religion to be quite narcissistic.

in talking to most religious people, especially christians, you get the feeling that this entire universe was put here by some omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent being.  that means that everything that we see when we look into the night sky was put here for one sect of the entire population of this planet.  doesn't really work for me,

not only that, but if there is life on other planets does that mean that "orinigal" sin occured in numerous different gardens of eden?  did the stupid C U Next Tuesday actually listen to the serpent and eat from the tree of knowledge over and over and over again?  or is it possible that on some planet somewhere that she and adam (or whatever they might be called) ate from the tree of life instead and now have everlasting life?

continuing with life on other planets, does that also mean the the immaculate conception occurred numerous times?  was christ then crucified numerous times?  in some ways this seems like it takes away free will if it did.  what if it had all happened before on another planet before this one formed out of star dust?  does that mean that the same thing happened all over again, just that the names had been changed to protect the innocent.  and if this supposed god is omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent why wasn't he able to immediately stop eve from eating from the tree of knowledge and thereby allow them to live out there lives in naked bliss through all eternity?
Snake Plissken: Got a smoke?
Malloy: The United States is a non-smoking nation! No smoking, no drugs, no alcohol, no women - unless you're married - no foul language, no red meat!
Snake Plissken: Land of the free.
Facebook
Twitter

Taors

« Reply #78 on: December 01, 2006, 03:35:02 AM »

i find the entire concept of religion to be quite narcissistic.

in talking to most religious people, especially christians, you get the feeling that this entire universe was put here by some omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent being.  that means that everything that we see when we look into the night sky was put here for one sect of the entire population of this planet.  doesn't really work for me,

not only that, but if there is life on other planets does that mean that "orinigal" sin occured in numerous different gardens of eden?  did the stupid C U Next Tuesday actually listen to the serpent and eat from the tree of knowledge over and over and over again?  or is it possible that on some planet somewhere that she and adam (or whatever they might be called) ate from the tree of life instead and now have everlasting life?

continuing with life on other planets, does that also mean the the immaculate conception occurred numerous times?  was christ then crucified numerous times?  in some ways this seems like it takes away free will if it did.  what if it had all happened before on another planet before this one formed out of star dust?  does that mean that the same thing happened all over again, just that the names had been changed to protect the innocent.  and if this supposed god is omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent why wasn't he able to immediately stop eve from eating from the tree of knowledge and thereby allow them to live out there lives in naked bliss through all eternity?

Because it's myth.

mrapplecastle

« Reply #79 on: December 01, 2006, 11:02:12 AM »

mike the godless heathen

• life, meh
    • View Profile
    • Blog and what not.
« Reply #80 on: December 01, 2006, 11:13:02 AM »

Because it's myth.
IYO its all myth, but not to all christians.  i used to work with this super religious fucktard who actually believed every single word in the bible.  i asked him how old the universe was he said about 3000 years or so.  i asked him about fossils being carbon-14 dated to 6.5 million years ago and beyond.  he said the scientists got it wrong.  he believed in the garden of eden, the flood, destruction of sodom and gomorah, everything!  took the bible as fact, not myth.  and you know he is not the only one.
Malloy: The United States is a non-smoking nation! No smoking, no drugs, no alcohol, no women - unless you're married - no foul language, no red meat!
Facebook
Twitter

mrapplecastle

« Reply #81 on: December 01, 2006, 11:30:14 AM »

jesus used marijuana or he was not the christ http://youtube.com/watch?v=wctyPM3Q27M

dawolvesman

« Reply #82 on: December 01, 2006, 12:49:49 PM »

I follow a Native American Path

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #83 on: December 02, 2006, 07:52:06 PM »

These days, a virgin birth is entirely medically possible. A fertilized egg can be artificially implanted in the uterus.
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

Taors

« Reply #84 on: December 03, 2006, 09:19:44 AM »

These days, a virgin birth is entirely medically possible. A fertilized egg can be artificially implanted in the uterus.

How about 2,006 years ago?

mike the godless heathen

• life, meh
    • View Profile
    • Blog and what not.
« Reply #85 on: December 03, 2006, 09:25:05 AM »

i think you mean between 2014 and 2008 years ago.

the priest who created the gregorian calendar we use got it wrong.
Facebook
Twitter

Taors

« Reply #86 on: December 03, 2006, 09:29:35 AM »

Right. How about "a long ass time ago"?

mike the godless heathen

• life, meh
    • View Profile
    • Blog and what not.
« Reply #87 on: December 03, 2006, 09:49:25 AM »

did you see the bible fact or fiction episode of BS from season 2?  seems that things were more like the life of brian as opposed to their being only one person calling himself jc.
Facebook
Twitter

markuzick

• Atheist Pro-Lifer
  • Dr. Montessori: Discipline through liberty
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 03, 2006, 09:56:48 AM »

The story was probably written about 1800 to 1900 years ago. Any resemblance of characters to people, real or imagined, is purely coincidental.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2006, 09:58:22 AM by markuzick »
As the state feeds off of the limitation and destruction of legitimate government, anarchy is its essence.

To claim "economic rent" from someone Else's labor when applied to land, which is something no one can own outright, is in itself, to claim landlord status over raw nature. It is an attempt at coercive monopoly power that is at the root of statism.

mike the godless heathen

• life, meh
    • View Profile
    • Blog and what not.
« Reply #89 on: December 03, 2006, 09:59:22 AM »

supposedly the gospels were written around 70 CE after the destruction of the temple of jerusalem.
Facebook
Twitter
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Religion

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 37 queries.