Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Religion

Poll

what would you describe yourself as?

Roman Catholic
- 8 (8.2%)
Protestant
- 2 (2%)
Mormon
- 1 (1%)
Episcopal
- 2 (2%)
Some other branch of Christianity
- 10 (10.2%)
Muslim
- 1 (1%)
Agnostic
- 26 (26.5%)
Athiest (fight religion!)
- 18 (18.4%)
Athiest ("go with the flow")
- 16 (16.3%)
Judaism
- 2 (2%)
Any "Pagan" religeon
- 9 (9.2%)
Budhist
- 0 (0%)
Taoist
- 1 (1%)
Hindu
- 0 (0%)
Humanist
- 2 (2%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Religion  (Read 31210 times)

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
Re: Religion
« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2006, 11:19:17 AM »

I want to read it but I just don't have the money right now. $15 is a lot for a book.

Library.
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

Taors

« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2006, 11:30:12 AM »

I want to read it but I just don't have the money right now. $15 is a lot for a book.

Library.

Nah.

mike the godless heathen

• your friendly neighborhood atheist
  • life, meh
    • View Profile
    • Blog and what not.
« Reply #62 on: November 28, 2006, 12:20:31 PM »

I'm glad you guys don't share the notion that faith and intelligence have inverse relationships.

i have heard a lot of people who say that and i do tend to disagree.

i don't care what people believe, just don't try to push it on me.  i don't try to push my beliefs on anyone else so its only fair.

Edit:  becuase i just had to fix my fucking typos on this one.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 01:16:04 PM by handyshizzle »
Snake Plissken: Got a smoke?
Malloy: The United States is a non-smoking nation! No smoking, no drugs, no alcohol, no women - unless you're married - no foul language, no red meat!
Snake Plissken: Land of the free.
Facebook
Twitter

fickenbaisage

« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2006, 12:26:41 PM »

I'm glad you guys don't share the notion that faith and intelligence have inverse relationships.

i've have hear a lot of people who say that and i do tend to disagree.

i don't care what people believe, just don't try to push it on me.  i don't try to push my beliefs on anyone else so its only fair.

I also disagree. From my experience religious people tend to do better in life. It's because there's something positive to look to which they can find in their religion. It's a system of preset values to enable them to think positive, something which non religious people have to take a longer time to comprehend. That said, I still find it hard to believe in some form of god.

mike the godless heathen

• life, meh
    • View Profile
    • Blog and what not.
« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2006, 01:14:38 PM »

From my experience religious people tend to do better in life. It's because there's something positive to look to which they can find in their religion.

speaking from the standpoint of christianity only, this is also what was used to placate the serfs during the dark ages in euorpe.  they were uneducated and toiled in the fields for their liege lords.  the educated few, clergy, would preach stories of fire and brimstone to them, but tell them that if they led a good life working their poor little asses off and didn't try to rise up agains anything then they could eventually find everlasting happiness in heaven.  a heaven that was lacking in the one thing that man desires most.  sex. 

if there is a heaven, i hope its the muslims heaven.  i need me a harem.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 01:16:30 PM by handyshizzle »
Malloy: The United States is a non-smoking nation! No smoking, no drugs, no alcohol, no women - unless you're married - no foul language, no red meat!
Facebook
Twitter

tones

« Reply #65 on: November 28, 2006, 04:28:14 PM »

A point about how religion and education are inverse:

Fundamentalists (and I say this without wanting to offend any--it's just an observation) require a suspension of scientific fact to accept Biblical claims. I don't know why--I read the Bible and don't find that science conflicts with it at all.

But there are many Deists--Christians even (as I am one) who find that science and religion really go hand in hand, and that each discovery only reveals more about the meticulous nature of God.

I happen to think each scientific discovery doesn't disprove God--it only strengthens the argument for me that he exists.

But the guys you are talking about would have refused the Copernican revolution in its time, and I hope since it would appear from this poll that there are quite a few atheists here, they understand that there are intellectual Christians who understand that religion and science are often synthetic and not diametrically opposed to one another.

mike the godless heathen

• life, meh
    • View Profile
    • Blog and what not.
« Reply #66 on: November 28, 2006, 07:01:45 PM »

interesting, much like the merging of science and religion envisioned by ray bradbury in the martian chronicles.

with regards to fact and religion:

in one of my favorite episodes of moral orel, orel said, "there's no place for facts where god is involved!"
Facebook
Twitter

Smitty507

« Reply #67 on: November 28, 2006, 09:40:57 PM »

Im an every Sunday type of Roman Catholic and try to be a good practitioner

Taors

« Reply #68 on: November 28, 2006, 10:03:37 PM »

A point about how religion and education are inverse:

Fundamentalists (and I say this without wanting to offend any--it's just an observation) require a suspension of scientific fact to accept Biblical claims. I don't know why--I read the Bible and don't find that science conflicts with it at all.

But there are many Deists--Christians even (as I am one) who find that science and religion really go hand in hand, and that each discovery only reveals more about the meticulous nature of God.

I happen to think each scientific discovery doesn't disprove God--it only strengthens the argument for me that he exists.

But the guys you are talking about would have refused the Copernican revolution in its time, and I hope since it would appear from this poll that there are quite a few atheists here, they understand that there are intellectual Christians who understand that religion and science are often synthetic and not diametrically opposed to one another.

While Science and Religion might sometimes blend well together, I think it's a difference case for faith. Notions like 'Jesus was born of a virgin' and 'Mohammad flew up into the sky on a winged horse' (or whatever that crazy bastard did, I forget exactly) are just myth and really shouldn't be taken literally. Deists are good in this respect because they look for reason first in anything that they believe and don't hold any one religion as true.

tones

« Reply #69 on: November 30, 2006, 11:24:16 AM »

"While Science and Religion might sometimes blend well together, I think it's a difference case for faith. Notions like 'Jesus was born of a virgin' and 'Mohammad flew up into the sky on a winged horse' (or whatever that crazy bastard did, I forget exactly) are just myth and really shouldn't be taken literally. Deists are good in this respect because they look for reason first in anything that they believe and don't hold any one religion as true."

There is much unexplained phenomena in the world for which science has not yet accounted. The distance between faith and science is that explanation. I believe Jesus was born of the virgin Mary, but that doesn't change how I feel about science. It doesn't mean that there isn't a scientific reason that it happened or that God himself doesn't work through the natural processes of science. All supernaturalism is merely the unexplained, but if God created the earth, don't both the explained and the unexplained come from God?

I can see how you would dismiss it as myth, but reason disallows a complete dismissal of faith at the expense of science. The two are not as opposed to one another as you might surmise.

Taors

« Reply #70 on: November 30, 2006, 05:08:19 PM »

"While Science and Religion might sometimes blend well together, I think it's a difference case for faith. Notions like 'Jesus was born of a virgin' and 'Mohammad flew up into the sky on a winged horse' (or whatever that crazy bastard did, I forget exactly) are just myth and really shouldn't be taken literally. Deists are good in this respect because they look for reason first in anything that they believe and don't hold any one religion as true."

There is much unexplained phenomena in the world for which science has not yet accounted. The distance between faith and science is that explanation. I believe Jesus was born of the virgin Mary, but that doesn't change how I feel about science. It doesn't mean that there isn't a scientific reason that it happened or that God himself doesn't work through the natural processes of science. All supernaturalism is merely the unexplained, but if God created the earth, don't both the explained and the unexplained come from God?

I can see how you would dismiss it as myth, but reason disallows a complete dismissal of faith at the expense of science. The two are not as opposed to one another as you might surmise.

How is it reasonable to believe that Muhammad flew up into the clouds on a winged horse? It's just stupid, like the virgin birth.

mrapplecastle

« Reply #71 on: November 30, 2006, 05:42:07 PM »

It's just stupid, like the virgin birth.
I had a vigin birth  8)

tones

« Reply #72 on: November 30, 2006, 05:46:14 PM »

Not being Islamic, I don't know anything about the winged-horse thing, but the virgin birth of Jesus is entirely possible without being at the same time a huge physically present miracle, which is in my opinion, exactly how God works, in mysterious and un-obvious ways. The bottom line is that the virgin birth is a matter of faith, but that self-reproduction in organisms is not unheard of and though not a typical manner of gestation with respect to human beings, entirely possible. If one believes in God, and that God works through the normal scientific processes, it becomes then more probable to a believer.

It's all faith and a matter of opinion, but if you're a non believer I wouldn't simply dismiss it as dumb. I'm not saying you are--you're just making a point--but many people do.

Taors

« Reply #73 on: November 30, 2006, 05:58:19 PM »

Not being Islamic, I don't know anything about the winged-horse thing, but the virgin birth of Jesus is entirely possible without being at the same time a huge physically present miracle, which is in my opinion, exactly how God works, in mysterious and un-obvious ways. The bottom line is that the virgin birth is a matter of faith, but that self-reproduction in organisms is not unheard of and though not a typical manner of gestation with respect to human beings, entirely possible. If one believes in God, and that God works through the normal scientific processes, it becomes then more probable to a believer.

It's all faith and a matter of opinion, but if you're a non believer I wouldn't simply dismiss it as dumb. I'm not saying you are--you're just making a point--but many people do.

But why do you have to believe in God and the virgin birth? I can understand a belief in God, but the virgin birth is a story from a collection of books written thousands of years ago by a bunch of old guys who lived in the desert. What validity do they have? Why believe that over believing that Ragnarok is going to take place as described in the Eddas?

tones

« Reply #74 on: November 30, 2006, 08:08:41 PM »

You don't have to believe in the virgin birth to believe in God. The two are not synonymous. You just have to believe in the virgin birth to believe that Jesus Christ is God.

All I am saying is, don't dismiss the Christian claim on scientific grounds. I find that argument faulty since discovery in science relies precipitously on exceptions to the rule rather than the rules themselves. The "why" of something vs. the "because."
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 08:11:14 PM by tones »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Religion

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 37 queries.