Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Religion

Poll

what would you describe yourself as?

Roman Catholic
- 8 (8.2%)
Protestant
- 2 (2%)
Mormon
- 1 (1%)
Episcopal
- 2 (2%)
Some other branch of Christianity
- 10 (10.2%)
Muslim
- 1 (1%)
Agnostic
- 26 (26.5%)
Athiest (fight religion!)
- 18 (18.4%)
Athiest ("go with the flow")
- 16 (16.3%)
Judaism
- 2 (2%)
Any "Pagan" religeon
- 9 (9.2%)
Budhist
- 0 (0%)
Taoist
- 1 (1%)
Hindu
- 0 (0%)
Humanist
- 2 (2%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Religion  (Read 31371 times)

tones

Re: Religion
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2006, 12:59:07 PM »

A Roman Catholic, but a transcendentalist one if there is such a thing. Buddhism and Taoism mirror much of Jesus' philosophy on how to live.

fickenbaisage

« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2006, 01:30:06 PM »

i read the End of Faith by Sam Harris. He alleged that the cause of the major wars today is mainly religion.

Taors

« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2006, 06:14:44 PM »

i read the End of Faith by Sam Harris. He alleged that the cause of the major wars today is mainly religion.

I'm reading that right now. I'm still on the Islam chapter.

mike the godless heathen

• your friendly neighborhood atheist
  • life, meh
    • View Profile
    • Blog and what not.
« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2006, 09:55:58 PM »

i recently purchased richard dawkins the god delusion though i haven't started it just yet.  can't wait to, though.
Snake Plissken: Got a smoke?
Malloy: The United States is a non-smoking nation! No smoking, no drugs, no alcohol, no women - unless you're married - no foul language, no red meat!
Snake Plissken: Land of the free.
Facebook
Twitter

Taors

« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2006, 09:56:45 PM »

i recently purchased richard dawkins the god delusion though i haven't started it just yet.  can't wait to, though.

I want to read it but I just don't have the money right now. $15 is a lot for a book.

mike the godless heathen

• life, meh
    • View Profile
    • Blog and what not.
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2006, 10:03:14 PM »

I want to read it but I just don't have the money right now. $15 is a lot for a book.

get a job you lazy bum!

yeah, i know what you mean, actually.
Malloy: The United States is a non-smoking nation! No smoking, no drugs, no alcohol, no women - unless you're married - no foul language, no red meat!
Facebook
Twitter

fickenbaisage

« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2006, 10:21:05 PM »

Someone told me there was a paragraph in it that said smarter people tend to disbelieve in the existence of a god.

mike the godless heathen

• life, meh
    • View Profile
    • Blog and what not.
« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2006, 10:32:48 PM »

Someone told me there was a paragraph in it that said smarter people tend to disbelieve in the existence of a god.

there are some lines to that effect.
Facebook
Twitter

Taors

« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2006, 01:22:22 AM »

Educated, is the term. Educated doesn't always mean smarter.

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2006, 06:57:06 AM »

True, and I haven't read the book yet but I have heard Dawkins describe belief vs. non-belief on two occasions as a matter of intelligence.  It's unfortunate that he would choose to do that.....it really reflects badly on other atheists. 

Taors

« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2006, 07:42:02 AM »

True, and I haven't read the book yet but I have heard Dawkins describe belief vs. non-belief on two occasions as a matter of intelligence.  It's unfortunate that he would choose to do that.....it really reflects badly on other atheists. 

It's one of the reasons I don't want to spend $15 on the book. If it's just him attacking believers then I'll pass, at least until the paperback version comes out.

mike the godless heathen

• life, meh
    • View Profile
    • Blog and what not.
« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2006, 08:24:56 AM »

It's one of the reasons I don't want to spend $15 on the book. If it's just him attacking believers then I'll pass, at least until the paperback version comes out.

if you saw the south park episodes where cartman was trying to get a wii, the reason that trey and matt bashed dawkins so much was because of his hateful attacks towards towards christians.  as soon as i finish phineas poe i am going to hit the god delusion hard and let i'll let you know what its like.
Facebook
Twitter

Taors

« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2006, 08:31:11 AM »

if you saw the south park episodes where cartman was trying to get a wii, the reason that trey and matt bashed dawkins so much was because of his hateful attacks towards towards christians.  as soon as i finish phineas poe i am going to hit the god delusion hard and let i'll let you know what its like.

Thanks. I'm going to read it eventually. I mean, I want to read it, I really do, but for the price it just isn't worth it atm.

tones

« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2006, 09:26:57 AM »

I'm glad you guys don't share the notion that faith and intelligence have inverse relationships.

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2006, 09:37:29 AM »

I'm glad you guys don't share the notion that faith and intelligence have inverse relationships.

No, but faith and education, especially scientific education, sure seem to. 
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Religion

// ]]>

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 37 queries.