Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Religion

Poll

what would you describe yourself as?

Roman Catholic
- 8 (8.2%)
Protestant
- 2 (2%)
Mormon
- 1 (1%)
Episcopal
- 2 (2%)
Some other branch of Christianity
- 10 (10.2%)
Muslim
- 1 (1%)
Agnostic
- 26 (26.5%)
Athiest (fight religion!)
- 18 (18.4%)
Athiest ("go with the flow")
- 16 (16.3%)
Judaism
- 2 (2%)
Any "Pagan" religeon
- 9 (9.2%)
Budhist
- 0 (0%)
Taoist
- 1 (1%)
Hindu
- 0 (0%)
Humanist
- 2 (2%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Religion  (Read 31202 times)

AlexLibman

Re: Religion
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2006, 01:03:14 AM »

Humanism is a philosophy...it can be religious or secular, so I would say no. 

I disagree.  There are Humanist clubs that have weekly gatherings, publications, and an evolving common body of knowledge and traditions.

The concept of "Religion" is often assumed to imply mysticism, but when talking about new religious ideas that often isn't the case.  What it is instead is a "community philosophy", a shared and well-established tradition of thought and practice.

Life in the army might therefore be called a religion, because the solders share a lifestyle, a system of rules, and common activities.  If, like many of us, you spend 2-3 hours a day listening to FTL, and perhaps another hour on these forums, then one might say that FTL is our religion.   8)

markuzick

• Atheist Pro-Lifer
  • Dr. Montessori: Discipline through liberty
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2006, 01:46:06 AM »

Humanism is a philosophy...it can be religious or secular, so I would say no. 

I disagree.  There are Humanist clubs that have weekly gatherings, publications, and an evolving common body of knowledge and traditions.

The concept of "Religion" is often assumed to imply mysticism, but when talking about new religious ideas that often isn't the case.  What it is instead is a "community philosophy", a shared and well-established tradition of thought and practice.

Life in the army might therefore be called a religion, because the solders share a lifestyle, a system of rules, and common activities.  If, like many of us, you spend 2-3 hours a day listening to FTL, and perhaps another hour on these forums, then one might say that FTL is our religion.   8)

Ha Ha! Imagine FTL as the opiate of the masses!
As the state feeds off of the limitation and destruction of legitimate government, anarchy is its essence.

To claim "economic rent" from someone Else's labor when applied to land, which is something no one can own outright, is in itself, to claim landlord status over raw nature. It is an attempt at coercive monopoly power that is at the root of statism.

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2006, 09:56:39 AM »

It's funny that many of the same people who want to call humanism a religion also wish to deny that status to Unitarianism. Some Christians think the Unitarian Church ought to be denied tax-free status, on the grounds that it isn't a religion.

Do they also think various humanist organizations should be granted tax-free status?
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

ladyattis

« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2006, 01:22:42 PM »

Positive Atheist and Metaphysical Naturalist here. ^_^

-- Bridget

AlexLibman

« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2006, 05:52:34 PM »

U.U. is a religion!

... made from other religions.

... first by castrating them (thus removing any disciplinary benefit they brought)

... then by putting them all in a blender (thus removing any cultural significance they had)

They're like kids who like to torture squirrels!

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2006, 09:48:53 AM »

When "religion" is used that way, it's a metaphor.  I don't think you really want to make the definition that vague....it becomes effectively useless.  There needs to be a term for belief in a supernatural order which involves spirits or gods and prescribes a given moral system.

markuzick

• Atheist Pro-Lifer
  • Dr. Montessori: Discipline through liberty
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2006, 11:06:29 AM »

When "religion" is used that way, it's a metaphor.  I don't think you really want to make the definition that vague....it becomes effectively useless.  There needs to be a term for belief in a supernatural order which involves spirits or gods and prescribes a given moral system.

You're right that when it's applied to that example, the word religion is used metaphorically, but I believe that it can be used to describe any system of dogmatic belief, usually based on tradition, faith in authority and usually some combination of both.
As the state feeds off of the limitation and destruction of legitimate government, anarchy is its essence.

To claim "economic rent" from someone Else's labor when applied to land, which is something no one can own outright, is in itself, to claim landlord status over raw nature. It is an attempt at coercive monopoly power that is at the root of statism.

Wallbound

« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2006, 03:37:08 AM »

Christian and a Constitutionanlist. More so as someone whom's belief is in the Constitution. More so than the Bible. All though I believe that there is a GOD/Creator. And I do believe Christ died, a horrorable death. So I take the leap of Faith that he died for my sins. But you will never, ever see me Qoute the Bible. It may be god's word. But it was still Wrote by man. That's all I would like to say about my beliefs in a GOD.

dominick

« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2006, 04:09:17 AM »

You're right that when it's applied to that example, the word religion is used metaphorically, but I believe that it can be used to describe any system of dogmatic belief, usually based on tradition, faith in authority and usually some combination of both.
I think that to be a religion, faith is required. Believing in something that is rationally provable would not constitute faith, and by extension would not be religious. Faith is demonstrated by a belief that something is true without evidence, or despite evidence to the contrary.

dominick

Taors

« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2006, 07:44:33 AM »

Christian and a Constitutionanlist. More so as someone whom's belief is in the Constitution. More so than the Bible. All though I believe that there is a GOD/Creator. And I do believe Christ died, a horrorable death. So I take the leap of Faith that he died for my sins. But you will never, ever see me Qoute the Bible. It may be god's word. But it was still Wrote by man. That's all I would like to say about my beliefs in a GOD.

When I was a Christian I didn't believe anything the Bible said. I don't see how anyone really could.

StormD

« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2006, 02:50:21 PM »

Not a checkbox poll, so I can't answer accurately.

I'm an Agnostic, Humanist, Roman Catholic Buddhist.

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2006, 03:42:59 PM »

I think that to be a religion, faith is required. Believing in something that is rationally provable would not constitute faith, and by extension would not be religious. Faith is demonstrated by a belief that something is true without evidence, or despite evidence to the contrary.

dominick
Religion doesn't have to be antithetical to reason.  Faith is belief without understanding/evidence/knowledge.  But religions vary, many demand hardcore faith in unreal things that could and never would occur.  Many do not demand unyielding blind faith, such as my own Judaism.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

mike the godless heathen

• your friendly neighborhood atheist
  • life, meh
    • View Profile
    • Blog and what not.
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2006, 05:55:53 PM »

full on atheist, but people can choose to believe whatever in the hell they want to.  i have a friend who is becoming a catholic, going to school for it and all that shit.  no matter how misguided she might be i still support her.  of course, she did get me religion for dummies as some weird easter present this year.  just to be a jackass, i think i am getting her this for christmas:

http://www.yo-god.com/
Snake Plissken: Got a smoke?
Malloy: The United States is a non-smoking nation! No smoking, no drugs, no alcohol, no women - unless you're married - no foul language, no red meat!
Snake Plissken: Land of the free.
Facebook
Twitter

Charles

« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2006, 08:42:09 PM »

You know...I have a new religion.  If you've ever played Legend of Zelda...yeah...that's my new religion.

fickenbaisage

« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2006, 05:32:26 AM »

I once saw god on a bus. He gave me a pretzel. ---- Leo from That 70s' show
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Religion

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 37 queries.