Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Religion

Poll

what would you describe yourself as?

Roman Catholic
- 8 (8.2%)
Protestant
- 2 (2%)
Mormon
- 1 (1%)
Episcopal
- 2 (2%)
Some other branch of Christianity
- 10 (10.2%)
Muslim
- 1 (1%)
Agnostic
- 26 (26.5%)
Athiest (fight religion!)
- 18 (18.4%)
Athiest ("go with the flow")
- 16 (16.3%)
Judaism
- 2 (2%)
Any "Pagan" religeon
- 9 (9.2%)
Budhist
- 0 (0%)
Taoist
- 1 (1%)
Hindu
- 0 (0%)
Humanist
- 2 (2%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Religion  (Read 31203 times)

Gustav

Religion
« on: November 06, 2006, 07:01:35 PM »

I personally am an agnostic.

velojym

• Mostly Harmless
  • Existence is Theft!!! *drool*
    • View Profile
Re: Religion
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 07:31:42 PM »

Me too. I'd rather not believe in a God who would cast me in the Flamin' Pits o' Hell for being honest and saying
"I don't know"
If he's the good, kind, and loving God some folks brag about, then I don't see too much of a problem.
Now. How about all the folks who go to church and profess a belief they honestly don't have?
Would God rather punish a fake-believer or an honest disbeliever?
After all, if you question anything you may be denounced, so I'd imagine most folks would be more inclined to
shut up and open the hymnal to page 156, and just play along.
We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force.
-Ayn Rand

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006, 07:36:50 PM »

And for the person who is Jewish by birth, was raised as a confused protestant, and grew up to marry an taoist-atheist?

Alas, there is no choice for me. :(
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

AlexLibman

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006, 07:38:38 PM »

Interesting poll.

This thread could use some clarification between the two atheist categories, "completely against religion" vs "accept others beliefs".  Does the former mean "all religion should be banned"?  I don't think there are many people like that on this forum.  Does the latter mean "politeness toward the rights of others to have their wacky opinions"?  This could be misunderstood as "I'm not particularly religious, but I go with the flow".

Also, the Jewish category would have been better phrased as Judaism, which implies the faith.  I'm a member of the Jewish (Eastern Ashkenazi) ethnic group, but I'm a "strong" atheist.

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006, 07:45:31 PM »

Interesting poll.

This thread could use some clarification between the two atheist categories, "completely against religion" vs "accept others beliefs".  Does the former mean "all religion should be banned"?  I don't think there are many people like that on this forum.  Does the latter mean "politeness toward the rights of others to have their wacky opinions"?  This could be misunderstood as "I'm not particularly religious, but I go with the flow".

Also, the Jewish category would have been better phrased as Judaism, which implies the faith.  I'm a member of the Jewish (Eastern Ashkenazi) ethnic group, but I'm a "strong" atheist.

I agree on the Judaism vs. Jewish clarification. It's needed here. There is also a lack of Eastern beliefs (Buddhism, Shinotism, Hinduism, other "isms") on the poll. While I respect many things about several faiths (Judaism more than most versions of Christianity), I cannot really get past all of the voodoo that's kept on the books just because it's "always been that way".
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2006, 08:36:01 PM »

I'm Jewish, and half of Israel's population that considers itself Jewish also considers itself agnostic or doesn't believe in God.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

zebraflood

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2006, 10:54:29 PM »

I can't vote because I don't understand the distinction between the two kinds of atheist.

By agnostic you mean agnostic atheism, right? Pet peeve.

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2006, 10:57:23 PM »

Agnostic, leaning toward atheism. I spent most of my life as a hard atheist, before deciding that some sort of universal intelligence is at least remotely theoretically possible. I hesitate to mention this to anyone, because the moment I do they get images of Moses and Jesus, etc. If any sort of "god" exists, it is much more likely to be something far more sophisticated, and much less narrowly defined, than Christians are willing to admit.

Man-made religions are nonsense at best, and pure hokum at worse.
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

Charles

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2006, 11:14:26 PM »

I'm a catholic atheist.  If you went to catholic school, you know what I'm talking about.

mrapplecastle

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2006, 11:19:57 PM »

agnostic  8)

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2006, 06:46:11 AM »

Indifferent - closest to agnostic. Honestly I don't care whether there is a higher being or not, it doesn't effect my life.
Probably doesn't affect your life, either.

Peppermint Pig

• Libertarian Adept
  • FTL Creative Team
  • This is where the fish lives.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2006, 07:14:02 AM »

Agnostic.

Yeah, this one needs more options.

What if you believe you are god? What if you believe god is a muffin?
Vigilance towards Liberty, in perpetuity!

velojym

• Mostly Harmless
  • Existence is Theft!!! *drool*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2006, 07:42:25 AM »

Agnostic.

Yeah, this one needs more options.

What if you believe you are god? What if you believe god is a muffin?

Every true believer knows God is a blueberry muffin. Those poppyseeders must be reviled and ostracized!
 :mrgreen:
We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force.
-Ayn Rand

Peppermint Pig

• Libertarian Adept
  • FTL Creative Team
  • This is where the fish lives.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2006, 11:36:54 AM »

Every true believer knows God is a blueberry muffin. Those poppyseeders must be reviled and ostracized!

Whatever your faith, I don't think we can truly say for sure. Only the great baker in the sky can say...

*cough chocolate bar donuts!
Vigilance towards Liberty, in perpetuity!

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2006, 11:48:02 AM »

Man-made religions are nonsense at best, and pure hokum at worse.

I suppose a god-made religion would be, by definition, un-hokum.   :)  ...though not necessarily admirable either, depending on the god.

Add me to the "unsatisfied atheist" group.  I do not believe because I see no evidence to believe in, and more importantly, I do not see how a puny mortal like me could distinguish the difference between a god and any truly impressive alien life forms, who might themselves have their own gods.  "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -Arthur C. Clarke

Besides, the universe is amazing enough without invoking characters who may only exist in it partially or wholly outside of it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Religion

// ]]>

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 37 queries.