Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Public or private school?

Poll

If educated in America, did you attend a

Public elementary school
Private religious elementary school
Private non-religious elementary school
Home school early years
Public middle school
Private religious middle school
Private non-religious middle school
Home school mid years
Public high school
Private religious high school
Private non-religious high school
Home school later years
Public university/college/trade school
Private religious university/college/trade school
Private non-religious university/college/trade school
Online university/college/trade school

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Public or private school?  (Read 8149 times)

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
Re: Public or private school?
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2007, 10:02:47 PM »

Some people just don't like school. 

And should not be required to attend. After all, the world does need ditch diggers and fruit pickers.

I think the cause for discontentment may be in the fact that children are forced to attend school. At one time, when schooling was a luxury only for those who could afford it, people WANTED to attend school. Getting an education was an honor. Now many see it as a prison, and something to escape. Further, since school is considered "free," for many it has no value--just as all free things hold little value for most people.

I still contend that this dislike of school is greater in public than private schools.

There are a lot of people who didn't go to school that are capable of anything and more those of who did go to school are.  It's not as if you can't learn if you don't go to school. 
« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 10:43:21 PM by Lindsey »
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

velojym

• Mostly Harmless
  • Existence is Theft!!! *drool*
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2007, 10:13:08 PM »

Unfortunately, even many (if not most) private schools are following the Prussian method anyway. So, they're better than 'public' by a degree or three... but the whole scheme is pretty close to the government model.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prussian_education_system
We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force.
-Ayn Rand

Porcupine_in_MA

« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2007, 11:19:36 PM »

Unfortunately, even many (if not most) private schools are following the Prussian method anyway. So, they're better than 'public' by a degree or three... but the whole scheme is pretty close to the government model.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prussian_education_system

Quote from: Wikipedia_Prussian_Education_System
Seeking to replace the controlling functions of the local aristocracy, the Prussian court attempted to instill social obedience in the citizens through indoctrination. Every individual had to become convinced, in the core of his being, that the King was just, his decisions always right, and the need for obedience paramount.

Sounds an awful lot like government education in this country alright.

TeejayROXX

« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2007, 05:48:25 PM »

My education was laughable, at best. I taught myself the majority of what I know through books, podcasting, and good old trial and error.

Taors

« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2007, 06:08:57 PM »

Me too. I pretty much stopped doing schoolwork in the 10th grade. In Geometry I would just stare at a wall for an hour and a half. Every day for 5 months.

Stephanie

« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2007, 06:35:27 PM »

Me too. I pretty much stopped doing schoolwork in the 10th grade. In Geometry I would just stare at a wall for an hour and a half. Every day for 5 months.

That's unfortunate, Taors, because I've been meaning to ask a favor of you.  I need you to:

analyze properties and determine attributes of two- and three-dimensional objects; 
• explore relationships (including congruence and similarity) among classes of two- and three-dimensional geometric objects, make and test conjectures about them, and solve problems involving them; 
• establish the validity of geometric conjectures using deduction, prove theorems, and critique arguments made by others; 
• use trigonometric relationships to determine lengths and angle measures. 

Specify locations and describe spatial relationships using coordinate geometry and other representational systems  • use Cartesian coordinates and other coordinate systems, such as navigational, polar, or spherical systems, to analyze geometric situations; 
• investigate conjectures and solve problems involving two- and three-dimensional objects represented with Cartesian coordinates. 

Apply transformations and use symmetry to analyze mathematical situations  • understand and represent translations, reflections, rotations, and dilations of objects in the plane by using sketches, coordinates, vectors, function notation, and matrices; 
• use various representations to help understand the effects of simple transformations and their compositions. 

Use visualization, spatial reasoning, and geometric modeling to solve problems  • draw and construct representations of two- and three-dimensional geometric objects using a variety of tools; 
• visualize three-dimensional objects and spaces from different perspectives and analyze their cross sections; 
• use vertex-edge graphs to model and solve problems; 
• use geometric models to gain insights into, and answer questions in, other areas of mathematics; 
• use geometric ideas to solve problems in, and gain insights into, other disciplines and other areas of interest such as art and architecture. 

Taors

« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2007, 07:35:15 PM »

Sorry, no can do.

Pod99966

« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2007, 10:53:02 PM »

how do you list military schooling?

It's not public

It's not really private

And it damn sure isn't religious

Not referring to Military academies for 1st - 12th.

More like schools teaching Air Search Radar Service and Repair. Military equivalent of trade schools

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2007, 11:12:59 PM »

It's a form of public school, since it's operated by the government.
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2007, 01:50:36 AM »

I moved a lot and attended several public high schools. One was ok, one was excellent, and one was little more than a baby-sitting operation. Had I stayed in the bad one all five years, I suspect my life would have turned out very different. I think public schools have declined significantly since my school years.

lessthanthree

« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2007, 02:15:22 PM »

When I have kids, I would very much like to send them to a Montessori-method school (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montessori).

I hate always hate to think, however, that parents who pay for their children's education out of pocket still have to pay for their neighbor's kid's education in Public School...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Public or private school?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 51 queries.