Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Products of Public Schools

Poll

How many people here went to public school ?

Indeed. I did.
- 35 (85.4%)
Nosir. I did not.
- 6 (14.6%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Products of Public Schools  (Read 4924 times)

AncapAgency

• The Ancap Agency
    • View Profile
    • The Ancap Agency
Re: Products of Public Schools
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2008, 08:27:14 AM »

I went to Government Schools, and they made me insane.  Literally.  I graduated a year early, and joined the Army.  So after being driven insane by the Government Schools, I spent 10 years killing people and breaking things for Uncle Shithead.  However, I started reading Heinlein while I was in the Army, and I was always a big reader of anything I could get my hands on, and between Heinlein and some other things I started reading, I gradually cured myself for of my insanity.

If it's at all possible, get your kid out of the Government Schools.  The Government Schools aren't broken--they're doing exactly what they're supposed to do--and that isn't education, it's indoctrination.  They are supposed to make people insane and dependent.  They're supposed to make sure people can't think for themselves, so they will follow orders and be easy to control and predict.  The founders of the system were quite open in their writings about this intent--read Horace Mann and his contemporaries.  Read John Dewey.
Mediation--Casual Labor--Security Consulting--Firearms Training--General Services

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2008, 05:26:39 PM »

As long as you stay active in his education he should be fine.  He might not learn anything BECAUSE of public schools but that's no reason he can't learn something IN SPITE of them.

Heinlein covers this well in Have Spacesuit, Will Travel.

Good call.  Getting hooked on Heinlein was one of the best things I did for myself around that age.
Same here, I think my dad gave me Have Spacesuit, Will Travel when I was 10, been hooked ever since.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

MacFall

• Agorist
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
  • No king but Christ; no law but liberty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2008, 01:15:41 AM »

In the unlikely case where I eventually have kids, I would not send them to public school, ever. By that time if one of them innocently said that daddy opposes the state, it would be enough to get them taken away from me and me put in jail.

Or maybe I'm too pessimistic.
I am an anarchist! HOOGA BOOGA BOOGA!!

milcop2008

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2008, 02:01:43 PM »

I went to a Vo-Tech High School for 2 years while I was attending a "regular" high school... I took some Criminal Justice Classes that focused on the laws as well as how to handle yourself on the job. I learned more there than I have ever learned in my regular high school. I got my diplomia as well found a way to make a little money to support myself in the security field.

runintoflowers

• FTL Shriner
    • View Profile
    • Myspace. :)
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2008, 09:45:19 AM »

Public school was the biggest joke for me.  The second semester of my Senior year I skipped a total of 40 days, which included missing the last three weeks before graduation.  I showed up for finals, and still graduated with a 3.9.  I should be proof that students learn absolutely nothing at public school.  All you learn is how to skate through a standardized test which requires no critical thinking whatsoever.  My daughter is starting school soon, and I am making sure she doesn't go to a "giant-waste-of-time" public school.  Ensuring she gets an actual education is worth the extra money.

Porcupine_in_MA

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2008, 10:48:40 AM »

My daughter is starting school soon, and I am making sure she doesn't go to a "giant-waste-of-time" public school.  Ensuring she gets an actual education is worth the extra money.

Damn right. Thats great to see. 8)

milcop2008

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2008, 11:01:44 AM »

Public school was the biggest joke for me.  The second semester of my Senior year I skipped a total of 40 days, which included missing the last three weeks before graduation.  I showed up for finals, and still graduated with a 3.9.  I should be proof that students learn absolutely nothing at public school.  All you learn is how to skate through a standardized test which requires no critical thinking whatsoever.  My daughter is starting school soon, and I am making sure she doesn't go to a "giant-waste-of-time" public school.  Ensuring she gets an actual education is worth the extra money.

NOW that's a fucking fluke if there is one! At my school, if you missed more than 10 days, they flunk ya.... then again I was finished with classes by christmas break of my senior year! But like you said... Standardized tests really don't teach a friggin thing that students need in the real world.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 11:09:18 AM by milcop2008 »

Zhwazi

• Recovering Ex-Anarchocapitalist
    • View Profile
    • Ana.rchist.net
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2008, 11:08:27 AM »

NOW that's a fucking fluke if there is one! At my school, if you missed more than 10 days, they flunk ya....
What a dumb rule.

BonerJoe

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2008, 11:51:56 AM »

I went to public school and look how I turned out.

milcop2008

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2008, 05:23:50 PM »

Boner Joe should be exhibit A as to why public schools should be shut down!

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2008, 10:56:08 PM »

Just wanted to thank y'all for the recommended book "Have Spacesuit, Will Travel". Began reading it to my son last night and we're enjoying it.
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

Santiago Johimbe

• ....by the river now. Hey! Where are my nachos?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2008, 11:53:08 AM »

It would have been more bearable if I'd know before I graduated, as I spent 12+ years in that prison. When I graduated, my
spelling and grammar were horrible, but I had decent grades anyway because my teachers were really only interested in shuttling
us through like dinner through someone's innards.
I took Consumer Math in HS, because all that mattered were the Math credits, and I'd learned to take the path of least resistance
and coast my way through.
It wasn't until a couple years later, when I read some stuff by Heinlein, Ayn Rand, and L. Neil Smith, that I learned a little bit about
freedom, and these folks were pretty good at what they do (or did). It was only then that I decided I needed to work on my communication skills, which I did pretty much on my own since then.
I make plenty of mistakes, as I can't really afford a good private mentor, but I think I've improved quite a bit.

I did it without the help of my former wardens.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Products of Public Schools

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 37 queries.