Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Nigger

Poll

How many people here that use nigger gratuitously actually have the balls to use it infront of black people and insist that they're not being racist

I'm no racist but I say nigger around black people (and I'm not black)
- 6 (12.2%)
I'm racist and I like calling black people niggers to their face
- 1 (2%)
I say it on forums all the time but I never say it around black people
- 5 (10.2%)
nigger
- 10 (20.4%)
none of the above
- 27 (55.1%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Nigger  (Read 27828 times)

DogOn

Nigger
« on: August 29, 2008, 10:12:38 PM »

Now I don't particularly give a shit about people saying nigger. I think racism is fucking retarded, but its that kind of retarded where I can't even get pissed off about it they're being so fucking stupid (not that as a white male in a predominantly white nation I'm ever the victim of it).

Anyway, point being, the people here who like to say nigger, often with no reason or purpose, do you ever have the balls to say it around black people and insist you're not being racist?

This fits in the same category as whore for me. I don't think any words are inherently anything, and I don't think saying nigger makes you racist. However, the same as I would not call a prostitute a whore and expect her not to take offense, same goes with nigger and blacks, chinks and chinese, etc etc. Whoever the word actually affects and is intended to insult, I'm happy to use language that won't offend them.

I would like to state for the record that just saying nigger for the sake of it is retarded. Its not funny, you're not taking it back, it just looks like retarded attention grabbing.

Level 20 Anklebiter

• Small, but deadly
    • View Profile
Re: Nigger
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 10:13:44 PM »

I prefer to call everyone a <noun><hypen>fag. :)
I hear thunder but there's no rain, this kind of thunder breaks walls and window pane

orion

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 10:23:30 PM »

If a black person insults me or makes a racist comment towards me, I will return the favor. I don't hate black people but I do have the balls to argue with them.

I think that on the Internet people need to stop being all SRSBSNS and fucking relax. Therefore I will make racist jokes online.

MacFall

• Agorist
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
  • No king but Christ; no law but liberty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 10:42:50 PM »

I completely reject the concept of race. I don't think anyone should be offended by any word. When they are offended, it is because they give themselves permission to be. So I don't have any problem with "racial" language.

However - as a rule I try not to offend other people. Not because of any moral conviction. I just believe in being polite.

I chose the third option.
I am an anarchist! HOOGA BOOGA BOOGA!!

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 10:53:00 PM »

I chose None of the above mostly for the reason Orion listed. I don't hesitate to use the word in situations that are appropriate.

During discussion, online and off with people of any race, I find that using the word is unnecessary- there are a lot of other fun descriptives to use :)

Dropping it on forums - I don't do, but don't care too much either.

If I can go and listen to some songs about "Killin' Whitey" and be considered "hip"- then I should just as well be considered hip for listening to some Skrewdriver.
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

BonerJoe

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 10:54:47 PM »

It looks like an old woman off a midwestern farm.

trollfreezone

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 10:56:30 PM »

I don't use the word "nigger" except to refer to the use of the word "nigger."  It irritates me considerably when others, including (especially) black people use it, as an epithet, and I find it retarded that some people feel they have to refer to it as "the N-word."  I feel pretty much the same about the whole variety of words invented to derogatorily depict the environment or genetics someone was born into, or anything else they have no control over.

All that said, I appreciate Lenny Bruce's treatment of the topic more than anything else. (NSFW!)

[youtube=425,350]1_y_LaMokGM[/youtube]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_y_LaMokGM

DogOn

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2008, 10:57:46 PM »

I completely reject the concept of race. I don't think anyone should be offended by any word. When they are offended, it is because they give themselves permission to be. So I don't have any problem with "racial" language.

A word in itself cannot be offensive, but the concepts that words are used to represent can be very offensive.

If I call someone a stupid fucking nigger, the word is loaded with concepts, and it is highly suggestive that I believe that just because of their race, not because of what they think or believe, that they are inferior to me. If I was a minority race and people insulted me because of my genetics, I think I would have a real problem with not being offended partly by the ignorance of the thing, and partly by the sheer inane hatred of it. Of course its easy to take the position that its just words, and if someone doesn't like you because of your race then you shouldn't care what they think, but its a different story when you're on the receiving end of the abuse.

When a white person gets called a cracker, I don't know any white person who would really be upset or angered by it, because the concepts it represent are not nearly so offensive. The super-super majority of white people have never been treated badly just because of the color of their skin. If someone calls me a cracker, its water off a ducks back, because it means shit to me, it has no impact.

If I call someone a nigger, not only is there a long history of people being grouped as inferior, and treated badly, personally and legally, but theres a decent chance that person has had to deal with shit because of their race, and for that reason I would never use a racial slur around someone where the slur actually means shit, unless I knew for sure it wouldn't bother them, because I'm not in the position to decide for someone what they should or should not find offensive.

The use of the word itself is fairly neutral, I've used the word nigger many times, and I think it would be stupid to say n-word when everyone reading would know I meant the same word, but in any context where those tones of abuse and derision might come up I'll absolutely avoid it.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 10:59:47 PM by fatcat »

MacFall

• Agorist
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
  • No king but Christ; no law but liberty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2008, 10:59:12 PM »

Even so, one must decide to be offended, no matter what the words are or what they mean.
I am an anarchist! HOOGA BOOGA BOOGA!!

DogOn

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2008, 11:03:31 PM »

Even so, one must decide to be offended, no matter what the words are or what they mean.

I think decision would be an unfair term.

It is true that it is the person that is offended or not, there are no truly offensive terms only offensive discourse, but I think it lies in the realm of preference where it cannot be considered a true choice, much like a preference for broccoli. I may be able to liken myself to the taste, but if my initial reaction to the stimuli is one of disgust, then I don't think there was ever a choice made, just that the make up of my mind means I would react in that certain way.

orion

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2008, 11:05:16 PM »

There is history behind the word, but if you were never informed of this history you would be none the wiser and hence not be offended. For this reason I think it's important to make a distinction between actual experiences and what other people tell you a word means.

DogOn

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2008, 11:07:24 PM »

There is history behind the word, but if you were never informed of this history you would be none the wiser and hence not be offended. For this reason I think it's important to make a distinction between actual experiences and what other people tell you a word means.

well yeah, if i want to use the word yogurt to describe what you think of as a car, then for me thats what yogurt means

the idea of "right" words and "right" spelling is completely bizarre, and flies in the face of everything language is. its a fluid system, an adaptive, evolving one, and words have slightly/vastly different meanings depending where you say them and who you say them to

its just a symbol but whatever the symbol represents is the important thing

[youtube=425,350]G2nTbqbtGug[/youtube]

trollfreezone

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2008, 11:09:32 PM »

I think decision would be an unfair term.

It is true that it is the person that is offended or not, there are no truly offensive terms only offensive discourse, but I think it lies in the realm of preference where it cannot be considered a true choice, much like a preference for broccoli. I may be able to liken myself to the taste, but if my initial reaction to the stimuli is one of disgust, then I don't think there was ever a choice made, just that the make up of my mind means I would react in that certain way.

this

That it is used to demean people over something they're not in control of offends me.

...oh, and as Ron Paul has pointed out, there's inherent collectivism involved...
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 11:11:58 PM by What's the frequency, Kenneth? »

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2008, 01:39:31 AM »

However - as a rule I try not to offend other people. Not because of any moral conviction. I just believe in being polite.

I chose the third option.

I agree with this.  I believe that people created racism.  It is not a natural belief, because in reality we are all human.  We are all made of the same materials.  Once upon a time, somebody thought up the word nigger, and at some point decided that it would be used as a derogatory slang term for black people.  If you put it in perspective, you'll realize that if that one thought had not occurred to that one person in that one moment in time, our culture would not be the way it is today. 

I believe that every action we take defines us, and shapes who we are as people - and I believe that words in and of themselves are meaningless.  It is the context in which they are delivered, along with intent that make them what they are.  I've had a man tell me he loved me with malice behind his eyes and anger in his voice.  It was most obvious that what he was feeling for me at that very moment was not love.  It was something else entirely. 

I also feel that the black culture as a whole is flawed in the way that "they" tend to carry a chip on their shoulder, so to speak.  I find that many seek restitution, and act as if they have a right to be treated differently because of events in our world's past.  Many other races were enslaved in the past.  Many still are enslaved, not according to race.  Not according to much, necessarily.  But I don't think that means everyone should have to tip toe around the issue.  That's ridiculous.  Nigger is a word, and it is nothing without intent.  But even I have to admit, I've never used the word nigger and not had a thought at the very least in the back of my mind about black people.  The fact of the matter is that I never enslaved a black person, so therefore I do not owe them anything more than the common respect I would give to anyone until they give me a reason not to. 

I grew up in a household where nigger was a commonly used word.  My father used it a lot, but claimed not to be racist.  He always said there was a difference between black people and niggers.  I suppose he is correct, people are different.  But why is it acceptable to differentiate between white people and crackers, and not okay to differentiate between black people and niggers? 

I have to admit, I don't like the connotation of the word now, itself - but I do use the word.  I do not use it to malign black people.  I don't even have a valid reason for using it, other than it being habit that I picked up from a very young age.  For example, when I drive - I have moderate road rage.  Sometimes I scream "GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY WAY YOU FUCKING NIGGER" when I can plainly see that it is not a black person.  Now that I see it in print, I see that I have inadvertently demeaned a person for no other reason that I know that word is generally intended to be derogatory in its meaning, and the fact that the individual it was pointed at obviously sucks at driving, according to me. 

I'm going to stop typing now, because I'm losing my train of thought and I feel that I am straying from a topic that I am seriously attempting to address.  Especially since most of my attempts at serious replies here are ignored in lieu of pictures of my breasts.   :lol:

EDIT:  No, I would not call a black person a nigger directly to his or her face.  Regardless of how I feel, the word tends to be offensive to people of that race.  I believe other things are for more effective in the quest to demean someone's intelligence, looks, or personality if that is what the intent is, instead of using a word that has been bastardized over a few decades. 
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 01:41:18 AM by Lindsey »
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

AntonLee

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2008, 02:46:15 AM »

I only use it when I'm singing along with Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg. . . which happens very often. . . has happened when I pull up next to the car with 4 blacks in it. . . who look at me strange and wide eyed when I looked over and said 'c'mon you know you love the song too'

I don't feel bad, I do worry about getting shot however.  Hence why when I drive through Dorchester I'm listening to ZZ Top.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Nigger

// ]]>

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 38 queries.