Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Lower the Barr?

Poll

How much will you contribute to Bob Barr's campaign if he gets the LP nomination (and no other noteworthy libertarians stay in the final race)?

Nothing, not even my vote
- 32 (57.1%)
Nothing except my vote
- 10 (17.9%)
Less than $10 (and my vote)
- 0 (0%)
$10 or more
- 1 (1.8%)
$20 or more
- 0 (0%)
$30 or more
- 0 (0%)
$50 or more
- 2 (3.6%)
$75 or more
- 1 (1.8%)
$100 or more
- 2 (3.6%)
$200 or more
- 1 (1.8%)
$300 or more
- 0 (0%)
$500 or more
- 1 (1.8%)
$1000 or more
- 0 (0%)
$1500 or more
- 0 (0%)
$2000 or more
- 0 (0%)
The legal maximum
- 1 (1.8%)
I'm ineligible to donate / vote in U.S.
- 5 (8.9%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Lower the Barr?  (Read 37223 times)

Alex Libman

Lower the Barr?
« on: April 16, 2008, 12:25:39 PM »

I had this e-mailed to me -- A message from former Congressman Bob Barr [WP] --

Dear friend,

I want your opinion and guidance.

What progress can a president make in four years? How about eight? Will the change be lasting?

Those are some of the questions that I wrestled with when developing my issue stances as part of my presidential exploratory committee.

I asked similar questions of myself while in Congress, especially when faced with a tough vote.

Sheer principle drives me to always take the path of liberty but it also drives me to be honest with myself to realize that sticking to principle means making lemonade when given a handful of lemons.

I'll give you a good example, which was my vote for the USA PATRIOT Act. As much as it pained me, I cast an "aye" vote for the very piece of legislation that I oppose today. I could have easily voted against it and, believe me, I wanted to.

At the time of the vote, a few weeks after the attacks of September 11th, it was clear that law enforcement had a need to quickly identify and confront additional terrorists threats. There was also a need to protect our liberties in the future, long after an immediate threat had passed.

Rather than casting a no vote, I used the influence that I had with my fellow members of Congress and negotiated a sunset provision for some of the most intrusive aspects of the USA PATRIOT Act. This led to a requirement to reauthorize those provisions, which put those issues back on the table and up for debate long after I left Congress.

The same situation applies to the Defense of Marriage Act, which I authored in order to short circuit the Republican Party's powerful move to ban gay marriage on the Constitutional level. My plan worked. States maintain their rights in relation to same-sex marriage and civil unions.

In a perfect nation, the government would have no role at all in marriage. It is a private, personal contract between two consenting adults to be recognized by the church and society. . . not the state.

In a perfect nation, there would also be no personal taxes and everyone would agree to play nice and respect the privacy, property and life of another.

The pressing reality is that the perfect nation and the perfect government do not exist. It is something that lovers of liberty must fight for, step-by-step and day-by-day.

As a libertarian, I believe in maximum liberty. You should be free to live your life as you choose. You should be free to make decisions, right or wrong, in the way that you see is best for yourself and your family. That freedom should be sustained as long as you do not use force or fraud against another.

Libertarianism is a simple philosophy that balances peace and responsibility. I do believe that one day we can live under such a society. However, we have a long and rocky road ahead to get there.

That is why it is important that we always choose the path of liberty. We will be faced with blocks and hurdles but even if inching forward, we must make progress down a road to freedom.

That is why I have formed the Barr 2008 Presidential Exploratory Committee. The choices offered by the two major parties are steps away from freedom, not toward freedom.

We need a better choice for America.

In my opinion, a strong libertarian candidate is that better choice.

I ask that you help me decide on entering this race by showing your strong support for a potential presidential run.

I passionately feel that the time for real change is now and I am confident that a strong Libertarian presidential campaign will have a lasting impact for liberty in our nation.

It is up to you to show me if that is possible.

Please send me a message so that I can send them in a message of liberty in 2008.

Visit BobBarr2008.com to let your voice be heard and to make a generous donation today. Also please take advantage of the features of my web site to tell your friends and family about this effort.

I deeply appreciate your time and your support.

In Liberty,

Bob

Paid for by Barr 2008 Presidential Exploratory Committee.

Federal law requires us to report the name address, and name of employer and occupation for any individual whose aggregate contributions total over $200 in a calendar year. Corporate contributions and gifts from foreign nationals are prohibited. Personal Credit Card gifts only. Contributions are not tax deductible for income tax purposes. Limit of $2,300 per person per election and $4,600 per couple if signed by both parties and drawn on a jointly held bank account.

Straight out of the gate, he is already polling 2% nationwide, and he's already had more MSM coverage and Internet buzz than any other LP contender!  And if he gets Ron Paul's endorsement, which is a real possibility - the contest is over.

Like I said about Root, this year LP should nominate the best candidate to pull votes from not-fiscally-conservative-enough McCain.  So Bob Barr could do in November what Ron Paul did in February - take around 5% of the vote, which would be unprecedented numbers for the Libertarian Party, and maybe even be included in the televised debates.  A step like this could set the LP up for Ross Perot numbers in 2012 and a realistic shot in 2016 or 2020!

Bob Barr Exploratory Committee Announcement:

[youtube=425,350]QXJtWRW0CQI[/youtube]

Barr-related MSM coverage:

[youtube=425,350]-fSg5Fq0dxU[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]yO-6WzKDVGw[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]O3H4ij8Nw7E[/youtube]

(More Barr YouTubes here)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 12:49:32 PM by Alex Libman »

jimmed

Re: Lower the Barr?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 05:23:03 PM »

Who was the negra who wants to give $500 to him?

Harry Tuttle

• Please don't feed the elitists
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 06:04:26 PM »

Sounds like a Republican to me. I'll save money for someone who wants to cut the size of government. Hint: he doesn't.
"If you're giving up your freedom to have freedom you don't have freedom, dummy."              - Mark Edge (10/11/08 show)

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 07:44:07 PM »

Sounds like a Republican to me. I'll save money for someone who wants to cut the size of government. Hint: he doesn't.
I think he does want to cut the size of government, incrementally.  He would be a great LP presidential candidate that could put in a real strong showing in the national election.  I like him and WAR.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Alex Libman

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 09:13:25 PM »

I'm the $500 guy.  Hopefully.  Someone checked "the legal maximum", which got me thinking it might be $0 for that person, so I added the "I'm ineligible to donate / vote in U.S." option...

Anyways, I didn't like Barr at first either, but most of my dislike for him came from what he did before 1-2 years ago.  People can change...

Harry Tuttle

• Please don't feed the elitists
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 01:48:25 AM »

I think he does want to cut the size of government, incrementally.  He would be a great LP presidential candidate that could put in a real strong showing in the national election.  I like him and WAR.

From the clips I've seen of him thus far, he speaks perfect politiceze. Sure, he's a much better conservative republican than our current choices. He's more like a Bush Sr. or Ronald Reagan. That doesn't really get us anywhere though.
"If you're giving up your freedom to have freedom you don't have freedom, dummy."              - Mark Edge (10/11/08 show)

Taors

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 11:52:54 PM »

People still put stock in the LP? :?

Alex Libman

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 12:27:42 AM »

Yes.

Taors

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 08:54:32 AM »

How's that workin' for ya?

Alex Libman

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 12:50:59 PM »

Beats the alternative...

Alex Libman

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2008, 10:23:09 PM »

New e-mail from the campaign -- Light up the darkness --

Dear Friend,

The time is drawing near for me to make a final decision on whether or not I will seek the presidential nomination of the Libertarian Party and run against John McCain and the Democrat candidate.

This decision does not come easy.

If I decide to run, not only will I be affected by the events of the next six months but my family, and those for whom I care, will be forced to sacrifice a great deal in their lives. Indeed, whatever the outcome of the election, my decision will impact the lives of my family for many years to come.

Powerful people and parties will do all that they can to discredit and discourage me and those close to me. As a matter of fact, this pressure has already started to a significant degree.

Just the other night, I discussed this matter with my friend, Russ Verney, who will be managing my campaign if I choose to run. Russ ran the campaigns for Ross Perot and witnessed firsthand what can and does happen when a credible, third party candidate enters the presidential arena.

Russ was completely candid with me and did not hold back on the tactics and strategies that will be used against me and my family.

This is both discouraging and infuriating, but it is a reality in today's political climate. Anyone who dares to challenge the establishment, two-party system is bound to pay a price for such audacity.

While this factor alone hardens my resolve to seek the nomination, it also gives me pause in making a final decision.

In choosing my future path, I've thought back and imagined what some of my personal heroes would do in a similar situation.

One man I admire answers also to the name, "Bob." He was a person possessed of a gift that allowed him to speak to and lift the spirits of other men and women with his words and music.

When watching a film one evening, I was reminded of an event in his life and how he inspired so many with what would normally have been an easy decision.

In December 1976, this other Bob, along with his family and friends, were rehearsing for an upcoming concert when gunmen burst into his home and opened fire.

Bob was wounded, with a round entering his chest and passing though his arm. His wife, Rita, had been struck with a bullet in the head while fleeing with their five children.

Both survived and were rushed to the hospital, treated and released a day later.

The following evening, the concert went on but, out of fear of further violence, without many of the acts that had been scheduled to play. Despite a realization that the main performer and others would most likely not appear, a crowd of 85,000 people managed to gather for the concert.

Not to be discouraged, Bob raced to the concert at the last minute and rushed onto the stage.

Wounded and more than likely staring at his own gunman in the crowd, Bob Marley promised the joyous audience, "just one song." He and his wife Rita, wrapped in bandages, took the stage for 90 minutes.

Later, Bob was asked why he would go through the effort to perform just two days after being attacked. He answered simply, "The people who are trying to make this world worse are not taking a day off. How can I? Light up the darkness."

I take faith in the brave words and actions of that man and his wife.

We live in increasingly dark times as the flames of liberty diminish with each new grasp at power by those who attempt to control our lives and our nation.

We have a responsibility to ensure that those flames burn brightly for others to see despite the overwhelming challenges that we face.

Because of those odds, it will take more than one man to carry a torch for liberty. It will take the tireless efforts of all of those who truly cherish freedom.

Only then can we light up the darkness.

In 2008, we will face a choice between two candidates, both of who seek to move us further away from freedom and toward increased government power.

Instead, I want to give our nation a choice for liberty.

My time for a decision is now, and I need to hear from you and know that I have your support today and when times get tough down the road.

Please go to my web site, BobBarr2008.com and, if you can, donate generously. Also, please use the many tools on my site to help spread the word and help the cause.

In the coming days, call up a friend or talk to a neighbor to tell them about this race and the need for a pro-liberty candidate.

Not only do we have an opportunity to make in impact during this election year but I also believe we have an obligation to do so.

However, I cannot do this without your help.

Please do all that you can -- and together -- we can carry a light of liberty to the people.

Thank you,

Bob

Paid for by Barr 2008 Presidential Exploratory Committee.

Federal law requires us to report the name address, and name of employer and occupation for any individual whose aggregate contributions total over $200 in a calendar year. Corporate contributions and gifts from foreign nationals are prohibited. Personal Credit Card gifts only. Contributions are not tax deductible for income tax purposes. Limit of $2,300 per person per election and $4,600 per couple if signed by both parties and drawn on a jointly held bank account.

The donation total is currently at $33,782 - pitiful by Ron Paul's standards...

Man, there was something in the water last fall, everyone, myself included, gave till it hurt...  I'm sure there'll someday be an other libertarian candidate to arouse the same level of enthusiasm, and do what Ron Paul couldn't -- take it all the way to the finish line -- but clearly Bob Barr ain't it.

The best he can do is ride in Ron Paul's shadow, which is still pretty darn good - if Ron Paul publicly endorses him and announces a big money-bomb, I'm sure he could raise into low 8-digits figures too, which no other LP candidate has ever come close to!

But first he should show he can at least raise enough to get his campaign an inch off the ground without Ron Paul holding his hand...

« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 10:32:14 PM by Alex Libman »

One two three

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2008, 01:26:32 AM »

Wow, you are kidding yourself.  The only thing that can make any difference in the American freedom movement is getting more people to join the FSP and get active in NH.
Why New Hampshire?  Learn why 1000s of liberty activists are planning to move to NH.  See the debate in page after page of forum messages, http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?124976-101-Reasons-to-move-to-New-Hampshire

jimmed

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2008, 01:31:09 AM »

Wow, you are kidding yourself.  The only thing that can make any difference in the American freedom movement is getting more people to join the FSP and get active in NH.

</flavoraid>

Alex Libman

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2008, 01:45:55 AM »

The LP isn't planning on taking over Washington any time soon.  It is there to give a political identity to several million people in this country who are not Republicans or Democrats or Statist centrists, the people who MSM likes to pretend don't exist.  Electing libertarians to legislative positions, which the two big parties would try to sabotage, will make it possible to raise issues that otherwise would not be raised.  And getting a Libertarian into televised debates serves a similar purpose.  If Barr can stand between McCain and Obama / Clinton and make them both look like idiots, it would be a huge accomplishment!

YixilTesiphon

• FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2008, 02:54:05 AM »

Great, so vote NOTA for president and run candidates for offices that we can win.
And their kids were hippie chicks - all hypocrites.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Lower the Barr?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 38 queries.