Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  John Shaw posting people's personal information as social ostracism.

Poll

Well?

John was wrong to do it and I'm afraid of retribution from him.
- 2 (5.3%)
John was wrong to do it but I'm not afraid of retribution.
- 9 (23.7%)
John Didn't do anything wrong, he's making his own market solution to the problem of moderation in an unmoderated forum.
- 8 (21.1%)
What John did wasn't wrong, but it isn't what I would have done.
- 9 (23.7%)
John Shaw fucking rocks.
- 3 (7.9%)
ENJOY!!!!
- 7 (18.4%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: John Shaw posting people's personal information as social ostracism.  (Read 14931 times)

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
Re: John Shaw posting people's personal information as social ostracism.
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2008, 08:26:26 AM »

conflicting info at hand:

1. shaw outed nh10 for promoting violence, according to shaw himself and others.

2. shaw outed nh10 for antagonizing shaw, according to shaw and others.

cant have it both ways, logic is in favor of #2.

Shaw outed NHAT because he and his inner circle, who he is constantly in contact with, have conspired to remove all undesirables from the forum.

Just like racists do.

Didn't you know that? I even have a mole working for me in the forum, too. He's doing a great job. Keeping everybody riled up and stuff.

I am in total control of the FTL BBS.

There is nothing wrong with your computer. Do not attempt to adjust the picture. I am controlling transmission. If I wish to make it louder, I will bring up the volume. If I wish to make it softer, I will tune it to a whisper. I will control the horizontal. I will control the vertical. I can roll the image, make it flutter. I can change the focus to a soft blur or sharpen it to crystal clarity. For the next *Indeterminate time*, sit quietly and I will control all that you see and hear. I repeat, there is nothing wrong with your computer. You are about to participate in a great adventure. You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the inner mind to... The Outer Limits.

Do not forget this, or... NO SOUP FOR YOU.
"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

theCelestrian

• Purveyor of Crapulence
  • FTL Creative Team
  • [ insert awesomely insightful comment here ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2008, 08:47:35 AM »

(sigh) We're still talking about this?

• This forum is unmoderated, folks.  Once again, caveat emptor

• Richard et al, seriously, send Ian an e-mail and ask him about this.  As a consumer, take your complaint to the product provider where it can actually be redressed, rather than re-hashed.

• Turn around is fair play.  If you guys are so pissed at Shaw, why not ignore him or better yet "out him?"  Where's the Market solutions that I keep hearing about from the An-Caps?  All I hear so far is a cry for help from the government Ian that there's this problem on the BBS, and you need help because you can't/won't take care of or protect yourselves.

• I don't know NHA10, so I can only go by what I've read (briefly) and the various claims and counter-claims made, however, it seems NHA10 isn't exactly in pieces over this... so why should you, the people who haven't really been "damaged" (and no... I don't believe "perceived emotional distress" is a valid "damage") are the one's seeking "justice"... what happened to the "complaint driven system of restitution" I keep hearing all these good things about?

- Branden
[ insert amazingly cool liberty-oriented witticism of your choice here ]

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2008, 08:56:49 AM »

• Richard et al, seriously, send Ian an e-mail and ask him about this.  As a consumer, take your complaint to the product provider where it can actually be redressed, rather than re-hashed.

• Turn around is fair play.  If you guys are so pissed at Shaw, why not ignore him or better yet "out him?"  Where's the Market solutions that I keep hearing about from the An-Caps?  All I hear so far is a cry for help from the government Ian that there's this problem on the BBS, and you need help because you can't/won't take care of or protect yourselves.

• I don't know NHA10, so I can only go by what I've read (briefly) and the various claims and counter-claims made, however, it seems NHA10 isn't exactly in pieces over this... so why should you, the people who haven't really been "damaged" (and no... I don't believe "perceived emotional distress" is a valid "damage") are the one's seeking "justice"... what happened to the "complaint driven system of restitution" I keep hearing all these good things about?

Nobody cares about any of that. This is an FTL BBS shitstorm. People just bitch for a while and envision huge conspiracies where the great inner circle of the FTL BBS, led by LORD SHAW get to abuse and harass people for "No reason" with impunity.

Kinda like the 9/11 truth thing.

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2008, 10:58:27 AM »

• Turn around is fair play.  If you guys are so pissed at Shaw, why not ignore him or better yet "out him?" 
If the objection is to John using a certain tactic, I can think of a pretty good reason why no one is using the same tactic on him. 

As for ignoring-- yes, definitely yes.  But if everyone followed this policy, there would be absolutely no drama on internet forums, and people crave drama. 

Andy

• Verbose.
  • Ask me later.
    • View Profile
    • My Blawg
« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2008, 12:12:45 PM »

I think for the most part Shaw is just your typical internet savy nerd, albeit very gun happy

Using google implies a high level of nerdiness?

Evil Muppet

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2008, 02:09:06 PM »

OK.  You are right.  Turn around is fair play.  I will out John Shaw and see how he feels about this. 

Here is John Shaw in his favorite evening outfit.

It appears that he is the president of a fan club. 
http://pixyland.org/peterpan/

This is his favorite song. 
[youtube=425,350]GQ5eZSa7URA[/youtube]

Here is his binky
Now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2008, 02:27:10 PM »

Some stuff.

1. I'm not that hot when I dress up as a girl.

2. My favorite song is 2112 this week.

3. Peter Pan? At least find a site that doesn't have the owner's name right under it. Especially one who's name isn't John.

4. Here's your binky.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 02:28:49 PM by John Shaw »

Harry Tuttle

• Please don't feed the elitists
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2008, 04:00:10 PM »

Good god!!!! Must be a slow news week.

Isn't there something else worth talking about in this world?

With that, I apologize for bumping this post.
"If you're giving up your freedom to have freedom you don't have freedom, dummy."              - Mark Edge (10/11/08 show)

theCelestrian

• Purveyor of Crapulence
  • FTL Creative Team
  • [ insert awesomely insightful comment here ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2008, 05:19:31 PM »

Nobody cares about any of that.

That's okay, because I'll bring some liberty oriented questions to bear on this anyway, just for the sake of my interest and edification.

This is an FTL BBS shitstorm. People just bitch for a while and envision huge conspiracies where the great inner circle of the FTL BBS, led by LORD SHAW get to abuse and harass people for "No reason" with impunity.

Mmmmmm.  I guess.

If the objection is to John using a certain tactic, I can think of a pretty good reason why no one is using the same tactic on him. 

As for ignoring-- yes, definitely yes.  But if everyone followed this policy, there would be absolutely no drama on internet forums, and people crave drama.

I'm aware of that, but I also posted something a little more to my point right after that; Where's the "Market Solutions" here?"

I just want to state for the record, not that it matters to any of us web avatars, that this is yet another clear example of why I have difficulty fully coming on board what some people call "Free Marketeerism:"  Once again on this BBS, a really good game about how "No government is the best government" and "the market will provide solutions to problems" is being talked, but the minute something happens that some people don't like:

There oughta' be a law rule on this BBS to make this illegal prohibited!

If this is really about drama, then fine:  I obviously am wasting my time asking these questions, or expecting what normally appears to be a highly intelligent group of people to actually practice what their advocating.  My bad.

I guess this also applies to my fourth point about the "victim complaint driven restitution" system of justice.
- Branden
[ insert amazingly cool liberty-oriented witticism of your choice here ]

jimmed

« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2008, 06:38:00 PM »

"This is a virtually UNMODERATED BBS. Content is not edited or sanitized for your protection. This forum may contain offensive language and images.

The BBS has three important features that can help you control unwanted content.

1.  You can ignore any users simply by pressing the "ignore" button underneath their name & info.
2.  You can set your preferences to not show avatar or signature pictures.
3.  You can set your "Look and Layout" preferences to block all images.

Users posting undesirable content should be ostracized.  You are encouraged to utilize option one, option two or both.

By clicking the "Enter" link below, you are agreeing to the following:
I am a mature sovereign individual or I have parental consent to view the material contained within this site.

I understand that I am solely responsible for the content of my posted messages. Furthermore, I agree to indemnify and hold harmless the owners of this forum, any related websites to this forum, its staff, and its subsidiaries.

Spam, racism, flooding, advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and solicitations are forbidden on this forum.

Note that it is impossible for the staff or the owners of this forum to confirm the validity of posts. Please remember that we do not actively monitor the posted messages, and as such, are not responsible for the content contained within. We do not warrant the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information presented. The posted messages express the views of the author, and not necessarily the views of this forum, its staff, its subsidiaries, or this forum's owner. Anyone who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to notify an administrator or moderator of this forum immediately. The staff and the owner of this forum reserve the right to remove objectionable content, within a reasonable time frame, if they determine that removal is necessary. This is a manual process, however, please realize that they may not be able to remove or edit particular messages immediately. This policy applies to member profile information as well.

Also note that with each post, your IP address is recorded, in the event that you need to be banned from this forum or your ISP contacted. This will only happen in the event of a major violation of this agreement.

Any thread may contain objectionable content. Forum moderators do their best to label those threads with (NSFW) or a better description of the content in parenthesis.  We encourage you to label your own threads in this way if they are to contain objectionable content. This is a manual process and no guarantees are expressed or implied.

Finally, your account may be deleted after 365 days of inactivity. "

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2008, 06:39:08 PM »

at the moment, the results of this poll indicate that shaw was not doing the "right" thing by outing people. so people have in fact spoken for themselves here without seeking assistance from the gov. orelsewhere- especially from ian who has already said he doesnt want to be involved in this sort of shit. that should clear up items 1 and 2.

3. shaw has already posted his own info. gotta give him credit for that- at least he isnt a hypocrite. the way many of us "protect" ourselves from this shit is by using a junk email account. some of us do, some dont. if i hadnt i think my info would have already been displayed.

4. those of us who are displeased by outing are speaking up, so? its likely because of the "who is next" question. i dont want to be next, it seems to be a trend here and so i think its useful to make it known that this sort of thing is a low tactic. whats the alternate plan? ah yeah, just put him on ignore.. or watch what i say so the forum police doesnt crack down on me.. both of which are lame. im really surprised that is the recommended way of dealing with this.. this is the solution that would be recommended IRL? to ignore the assholes and watch what i say so as to avoid offending them? seriously..

i dont think an organized conspiracy is at hand here- just a clique catering to its forum cop/control freak.

anyway- as mentioned in the beginning of this post, the poll results are pretty clear. of course they might change.

for all the peeps in support of posting public info- dont forget the thread to do it in here: http://bbs.freetalklive.com/index.php?topic=19996.0 - so dont be hypocrite!
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we canít articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2008, 06:40:17 PM »

at the moment, the results of this poll indicate that shaw was not doing the "right" thing by outing people. so people have in fact spoken for themselves here without seeking assistance from the gov. orelsewhere- especially from ian who has already said he doesnt want to be involved in this sort of shit. that should clear up items 1 and 2.

3. shaw has already posted his own info. gotta give him credit for that- at least he isnt a hypocrite. the way many of us "protect" ourselves from this shit is by using a junk email account. some of us do, some dont. if i hadnt i think my info would have already been displayed.

4. those of us who are displeased by outing are speaking up, so? its likely because of the "who is next" question. i dont want to be next, it seems to be a trend here and so i think its useful to make it known that this sort of thing is a low tactic. whats the alternate plan? ah yeah, just put him on ignore.. or watch what i say so the forum police doesnt crack down on me.. both of which are lame. im really surprised that is the recommended way of dealing with this.. this is the solution that would be recommended IRL? to ignore the assholes and watch what i say so as to avoid offending them? seriously..

i dont think an organized conspiracy is at hand here- just a clique catering to its forum cop/control freak.

anyway- as mentioned in the beginning of this post, the poll results are pretty clear. of course they might change.

for all the peeps in support of posting public info- dont forget the thread to do it in here: http://bbs.freetalklive.com/index.php?topic=19996.0 - so dont be hypocrite!

Dude, I've got seventy fucking percent. What are you talking about?

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2008, 06:47:23 PM »

the last 2 options are shit.

one says you were not wrong in doing so, but it wasnt what the voter would have done - which indicates *to me* that outing is improper.

10 votes at the moment for the first 2 options, 7 for the third.

bleh... its run it course. until this thread fills up with relevant data (http://bbs.freetalklive.com/index.php?topic=19996.0) i think the point is made.

Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we canít articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

Hologene Relapse

« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2008, 08:57:42 PM »

It's not stalking until it includes an attempt to contact the target in real life. How do I know this? Because I've actually read the federal law that covers cyber-stalking.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  John Shaw posting people's personal information as social ostracism.

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 37 queries.