Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Is Mark a Cult Member?

Poll

Is Mark a Cult Member?

Yes.
- 55 (45.1%)
No.
- 33 (27%)
Does the Free State Project count as a cult?
- 34 (27.9%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Is Mark a Cult Member?  (Read 32481 times)

aquabanianskakid

Re: Is Mark a Cult Member?
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2006, 10:24:26 PM »

Sweet... You know I've been listening to the show for about four months now and I just joined the forum. I wish I had done it sooner, I don't know any other show that allows you to interact with listeners and the hosts so easily.

SamInTx

• View Profile
    • Obscured Truth
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2006, 10:49:36 PM »

This stuff is ridiculous. Marks statement that life is meaningless shows the mindset that makes people vulnerable to this type of brainwashing.

I don't think Mark meant that life is meaningless. I think Mark was trying to say this:

Life is what ever people make it to be. People who believe life is meaningless will look for evidence that life is that way, and guess what, they will find it! It will be exactly what they believe it to be. Other people will find lots of meaning in life and lead full rich lives. Now it's the same world, so what is dfferent? Perhaps it's peoples' perspective?

What Mark I thnk Mark said (podcast not out yet to verify) is, that life has no meaning. By that, he's saying, meaning doesn't exist, each of us defines meaning for ourselves. Each of us decides what's important, what we like don't like and it's all based on our values, beliefs, and judgements.  That's why we are all different and unique individuals.

Johnson

• Tactless Skeptic
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2006, 11:07:11 PM »

interesting that you defend mark on that point about life being meaningless when in the same show he was quoting neitzche
"In silent resignation, one must never submit to them voluntarily, and even if one is imprisoned in some ghastly dictatorship's jail, where no action is possible - serenity comes from the knowledge that one does NOT accept it. To deal with men by force, is as impractical as to deal with nature by persuasion... Which is the policy of savages who rule men by force, and who plead with nature by prayers, incantations and bribes (sacrifies)." - Ayn Rand

aquabanianskakid

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2006, 11:14:34 PM »

Either way... what you are saying tends to hold some water. What is important to me now may not be important to you. Just the same, what is important to me now may not be important to me tomorrow. The things that we feel are important give meaning and direction to our lives. So as a collective man has no purpose, but as an individual a simple opinion can be enough to give us drive in our daily lives. Isn't the belief that life has no meaning a drive of it's own, giving purpose to those that claim to have none?

SamInTx

• View Profile
    • Obscured Truth
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2006, 11:17:54 PM »

Johnson,

That's exactly my point. The fact that the quote came from Neitzche gives it a whole new meaning for you, based on the values and beliefs that you accept due to your experience of life.

To other people, the fact that the words were said by Neitzche (amoung others) may hold no meaning. They may simply look at the words, and decide what it means to them without involving judgements (again based on values and beliefs) about the first person to write it in a book.

Johnson

• Tactless Skeptic
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2006, 11:24:04 PM »

well, it's really just that Neitzche was a huge proponent of that whole "life is meaningless" - everything is teh suxxor - mentality.
"In silent resignation, one must never submit to them voluntarily, and even if one is imprisoned in some ghastly dictatorship's jail, where no action is possible - serenity comes from the knowledge that one does NOT accept it. To deal with men by force, is as impractical as to deal with nature by persuasion... Which is the policy of savages who rule men by force, and who plead with nature by prayers, incantations and bribes (sacrifies)." - Ayn Rand

SamInTx

• View Profile
    • Obscured Truth
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2006, 11:31:44 PM »

Isn't the belief that life has no meaning a drive of it's own, giving purpose to those that claim to have none?

Aquabanianskakid,

That's one way to look at it. The belief I choose to hold true for my life is this:

The meaning of life is what ever I make it up to be!

There's real power in truly understanding that. Each one of us wakes up every day with a blank page. We can create anything we want with the time we have. Some people choose to follow the same old routine every day without doing things very differently. Others want life to be different that it currently is, so they go out and try different things every day, continually striving to improve.

Some people hold a really really big purpose in life like racial equality for South Africa as Nelson Mandella did. Others choose to hold a simpler purpose in life. Now one is not better than the other, good, bad, right, or wrong. They are simply different, and each contributes to the world in one way or another. Yet again, it's the same world, what's different is our perspective, and how we choose to see the world.

Taors

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2006, 11:59:24 PM »

It kind of reminds me of Scientology...which most non-Scientologists view as a cult.

And Neitzche was emo.

dominick

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2006, 03:17:25 AM »

It kind of reminds me of Scientology...which most non-Scientologists view as a cult.

And Neitzche was emo.
Maybe Mark should consider Scientology.

South Park's take on it: http://www.xenutv.com/cruise/sp-closet.htm

dominick

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2006, 03:20:19 AM »

A view from inside Landmark Education:
http://www.dailymotion.com/Gourous/landmarkforum

Warning! This video is in French. It does have subtitles.

dominick

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2006, 03:45:44 AM »

I vote no.  To me, the essence of a cult is that it is a religious, counter-cultural movement which alienates people from non-believers, including their own family, and demands unquestioning allegience to a charismatic leader.  AA comes closer to a cult by that definition.

I suspect Landmark Forums might more properly be called a "scam."

One two three

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2006, 04:01:47 AM »

Mark is not a cult member.  A Southern Baptist or Catholic would be much more of a cult member and I am not even sure if they count.
Why New Hampshire?  Learn why 1000s of liberty activists are planning to move to NH.  See the debate in page after page of forum messages, http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?124976-101-Reasons-to-move-to-New-Hampshire

dominick

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2006, 04:26:56 AM »

Mark is no more a cult member than any member of Scientology, or any Amway salesperson.

BTW,

One person's cult, is another person's lifestyle.

BBTW,

Cult Psychology:

1. Make the mark feel guilty, or otherwise disturbed about an aspect of their life.

2. Ask for, and get money.

3. Alleviate the guilt through validation of some aspect of the mark's life.

4. Goto Step 1.

dominick

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2006, 04:44:17 AM »

Was the show last night interesting at all, by the way?  I am not sure I want to listen to two hours (AMP) podcast of Ian yelling at Mark about how he is a cult member, and from the show notes on iTunes that seems to be all they talked about.

Rick_Wolff

cultish MLM
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2006, 07:44:25 AM »

Speaking of links, there's a guy who's produced an indie film satirizing the most horrific stories of business cultism (Amway, et al). Coming out soon. Looks promising.
http://www.believethemovie.com/
Samples are on YouTube.
I plug him because he's using in his marketing my true story of how I attempted to sponsor a guy in the process of mugging me.

Rick Wolff

P.S. Started listening again occasionally via SecondLife, of all things. May try the podcast again.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Is Mark a Cult Member?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 37 queries.