Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Is Mark a Cult Member?

Poll

Is Mark a Cult Member?

Yes.
- 55 (45.1%)
No.
- 33 (27%)
Does the Free State Project count as a cult?
- 34 (27.9%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Is Mark a Cult Member?  (Read 32476 times)

Johnson

• Tactless Skeptic
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Is Mark a Cult Member?
« on: October 25, 2006, 07:22:00 PM »

Is Mark a Cult Member? Vote now.
"In silent resignation, one must never submit to them voluntarily, and even if one is imprisoned in some ghastly dictatorship's jail, where no action is possible - serenity comes from the knowledge that one does NOT accept it. To deal with men by force, is as impractical as to deal with nature by persuasion... Which is the policy of savages who rule men by force, and who plead with nature by prayers, incantations and bribes (sacrifies)." - Ayn Rand

Trademark

Re: Is Mark a Cult Member?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 07:42:09 PM »

Lets go over the definitions of the word cult.

-adherents of an exclusive system of religious beliefs and practices
-fad: an interest followed with exaggerated zeal; "he always follows the latest fads"; "it was all the rage that season"
-a system of religious beliefs and rituals; "devoted to the cultus of the Blessed Virgin"

In religion and sociology, a cult is a group of people (often a new religious movement) devoted to beliefs and goals which may be contradictory to those held by the majority of society. Its marginal status may come about either due to its novel belief system or due to idiosyncratic practices that cause the surrounding culture to regard it as far outside the mainstream.

In traditional usage, the cult of a religion, quite apart from its sacred writings ("scriptures"), its theology or myths, or the personal faith of its believers, is the totality of external religious practice and observance, the neglect of which is the definition of impiety. Cult is literally the "care" owed to the god and the shrine. ...

A religious group that follows a particular theological system. In the context of Christianity, and in particular, CARM, it is a group that uses the Bible but distorts the doctrines that affect salvation sufficiently to cause salvation to be unattainable. A few examples of cults are Mormonism, Jehovah's Witnesses, Christian Science, Christadelphians, Unity, Religious Science, The Way International, and the Moonies. (See also Cults)

(cult) (kult) a system of treating disease based on some special and unscientific theory of disease causation.

Veneration ( or honoring ) of a saint expressed in public acts, local or universal, and formally approved by the Pope.

A religious group which denies the essential doctrines of Christianity. The term is usually reserved for groups founded after 1750.

***A following of people.***** <-----  :lol:

(noun) often attributive [French & Latin; French culte, from Latin cultus care, adoration, from colere to cultivate -- more at WHEEL]; First appeared 1617 1 : formal religious veneration : WORSHIP 2 : a system of religious beliefs and ritual; also : its body of adherents 3 : a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious; also : its body of adherents 4 : a system for the cure of disease based on dogma set forth by its promulgator <health ~s> 5 a : great devotion to a person, idea, object ..

as seen here... http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&defl=en&q=define:cult&sa=X&oi=glossary_definition&ct=title

We all fall under one of these categories. :P

Johnson

• Tactless Skeptic
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 07:46:33 PM »

(cult) (kult) a system of treating disease based on some special and unscientific theory of disease causation.
I agree.  :D
"In silent resignation, one must never submit to them voluntarily, and even if one is imprisoned in some ghastly dictatorship's jail, where no action is possible - serenity comes from the knowledge that one does NOT accept it. To deal with men by force, is as impractical as to deal with nature by persuasion... Which is the policy of savages who rule men by force, and who plead with nature by prayers, incantations and bribes (sacrifies)." - Ayn Rand

aquabanianskakid

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006, 07:50:51 PM »

Haha I wouldn't call it a cult. However I would call it a money making scheme, with the goal of obtaining knowlege that can easily be obtained elswhere for free. Besides, why pay people to tell you how to live your own life. But, it is his money.

BugEyedBeast

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2006, 08:33:32 PM »

Hell, this BBS is a cult.   

So Landmark is a cult...or it isn't a cult, who cares?  After 90 minutes of this the central question of whether the program does any good hasn't been touched.  So far it's just been cult cult cult cult and Ian knocking a biz for incentive practices he'd applaud if other businesses did them.
Ralph Wiggins 2012!

FTL_Ian

• Professional Iconoclast
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Free Keene
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2006, 08:47:06 PM »

Brainwashing clients into working phone banks for free?  I don't think I'd ever praise that.
Please support the show by joining the AMP program at http//amp.freetalklive.com

I blog at http://freekeene.com

aquabanianskakid

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2006, 08:56:03 PM »

Whoa?! They convince people to work their phone lines for free, so that they can make more money? Ok that's a little cultish I must admit. I think you need to have an intervention with all of Marks friends. Maybe a hug will do the trick?  :P

Minsk

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2006, 09:05:30 PM »

Brainwashing clients into working phone banks for free?  I don't think I'd ever praise that.

Hey, they could be brainwashing clients into blowing themselves up. Or practicing unsafe sex, or refusing medical treatment, or passing restrictive laws...

Telemarketing is one of the lesser sins in this world.

(And yes, starting on children with the support of the parents makes all sorts of extreme things possible)

BugEyedBeast

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2006, 09:17:43 PM »

How about : Encouraging people to work phone banks for a program they believe in without monetary compensation.

Same thing, different way of saying it.

How's that any different than political activism or fundraising for a group you support?  Is it the profit motivation? 

Ralph Wiggins 2012!

aquabanianskakid

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2006, 09:20:03 PM »

Funny you mentioned it I was just considering that angle. There is still a difference between doing something for profit and non-profit. I honestly don't know enough about this group to make a decision about their ethics or goals... however I'm not about to pay the money to find out.

Slim

• FTL AMPlifier
  • Freedom Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Silm's Blog "Down With Big Brother"
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2006, 09:50:31 PM »

Mark is a cult member but we still love him  :lol:
Bet you didn't know that toads came in three flavors. (Disturbing Behavior)
There were two sides to that billboard and they both hurt equally. (40 Year Old Virgin)

Josh

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2006, 09:56:28 PM »

This stuff is ridiculous. Marks statement that life is meaningless shows the mindset that makes people vulnerable to this type of brainwashing.

Soundwave

• Like a station wagon...
  • Administrator
  • Soundwave superior, constructicons inferior.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2006, 09:57:16 PM »

The news investigation is rather disturbing.
Julia

aquabanianskakid

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2006, 10:02:21 PM »

Got a link for that? Research is always fun...

Soundwave

• Like a station wagon...
  • Administrator
  • Soundwave superior, constructicons inferior.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2006, 10:07:39 PM »

I'm sure Ian will post it with the show prep.
Julia
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Is Mark a Cult Member?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 37 queries.