Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Is FTL Hot Talk or Political Talk?

Poll

What percentage of each do you think that Free Talk Live is? (Rounded)

100% Political Talk / 0% Hot Talk
- 1 (2.1%)
90% Political Talk / 10% Hot Talk
- 9 (19.1%)
80% Political Talk / 20% Hot Talk
- 16 (34%)
70% Political Talk / 30% Hot Talk
- 15 (31.9%)
60% Political Talk / 40% Hot Talk
- 2 (4.3%)
50% Political Talk / 50% Hot Talk
- 3 (6.4%)
40% Political Talk / 60% Hot Talk
- 1 (2.1%)
30% Political Talk / 70% Hot Talk
- 0 (0%)
20% Political Talk / 80% Hot Talk
- 0 (0%)
10% Political Talk / 90% Hot Talk
- 0 (0%)
0% Political Talk / 100% Hot Talk
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Is FTL Hot Talk or Political Talk?  (Read 16026 times)

Johnson

• Tactless Skeptic
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Is FTL Hot Talk or Political Talk?
« Reply #60 on: July 28, 2007, 11:17:55 PM »

I'm sure they are somewhat representative of our audience at large, who, I'm sure, also disagrees on a lot.

Without question, they are in large part, the audience that matters. They are the folks that care about the show enough to make some sort of an attempt to participate.
"In silent resignation, one must never submit to them voluntarily, and even if one is imprisoned in some ghastly dictatorship's jail, where no action is possible - serenity comes from the knowledge that one does NOT accept it. To deal with men by force, is as impractical as to deal with nature by persuasion... Which is the policy of savages who rule men by force, and who plead with nature by prayers, incantations and bribes (sacrifies)." - Ayn Rand

Ed

« Reply #61 on: July 28, 2007, 11:19:33 PM »

I wouldn't listen if FTL consisted mostly of "hot talk"
I could watch the news for that  :D

What about Friday nights being dedicated solely to Julia talking sex related issues? I'd tune in every Friday for sure.

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 29, 2007, 12:13:30 AM »

What about Friday nights being dedicated solely to Julia talking sex related issues? I'd tune in every Friday for sure.

That's because you're a teenage boy.  I'd probably listen too, but for slightly different reasons.  Anyhow.  On to my point...

FTL will never again consist mostly of "hot talk".  It would suck if Corey was still calling in nightly to remind us unfailingly that Ian is a douche.  Once a week wouldn't hurt, but whatever. 

But it also sucks that all we ever hear about are conspiracy theories from whackjob callers, and the occasional corrupt cops story has grown entirely too frequent, it seems.  I almost feel as if there's no way we can avoid redundancy if you don't actually allow the listeners to change the topic.  One of these days, I'm calling in to talk about hamburgers.  Seriously.  Recipes, favorite burger joints, etc.  It will go on for hours.

Okay, I wouldn't take it that far.  But you see my point.  Or maybe you don't.  Fuck it.  Ian will be Ian, and he will do what he pleases.  After all, it is his brainchild. 
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

dmgov

• FTL AMPlifier Silver
  • Umm.. ohh snoochie boochies..
    • View Profile
    • TheSharkTank
« Reply #63 on: July 29, 2007, 12:28:58 AM »

"QFT"

thanks,

oh yeah, fuck hot talk, Stick with the liberty message!
"A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance."
— Hunter S. Thompson

FTL_Ian

• Professional Iconoclast
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Free Keene
« Reply #64 on: July 29, 2007, 12:38:29 AM »

We quite frequently talk about sex and relationship issues with Julia on the show.  In fact, I had an article about people that don't want kids that we didn't get to:
http://www.miamiherald.com/416/story/181902.html

While I appreciate his concern, I think Johnson's just way too sensitive on this issue.  :P

He's kind of like a Free Talk Live conservative in that he wants to return to the way things used to be...
Please support the show by joining the AMP program at http//amp.freetalklive.com

I blog at http://freekeene.com

Porcupine_in_MA

« Reply #65 on: July 29, 2007, 02:54:40 AM »

They are simply representatives of themselves, and they tend to disagree on a lot.   :roll:

I disagree.

:P

Porcupine_in_MA

« Reply #66 on: July 29, 2007, 03:02:14 AM »

I think FTL is great the way it is...I do enjoy the interviews once in awhile, especially with Dr. Gene Ray, that was classic. Especially the reaction of folk on this message board, some of them genuinely confused and/or upset with you guys, awesome. I have to say my only minor complaint was this past week it seemed that you guys got stuck discussing philosophical stuff all week, the reality of property etc. etc. It was interesting for maybe an hour, but going on and off about it for days? That kind of wore me out a bit. I like the amount of "hot talk" you're doing now. It works well with the format, lightens things up but doesn't veer to far from libertarian discussion.

Ed

« Reply #67 on: July 29, 2007, 06:24:08 AM »

We quite frequently talk about sex and relationship issues with Julia on the show.  In fact, I had an article about people that don't want kids that we didn't get to:
http://www.miamiherald.com/416/story/181902.html

While I appreciate his concern, I think Johnson's just way too sensitive on this issue.  :P

He's kind of like a Free Talk Live conservative in that he wants to return to the way things used to be...

He does have a concern for the show though, and he brought up an excellent point.

Monday, I'm calling in about tacos.

error

• AMP Call-In Line Provider
  • FTL Crew
  • Department of Homeland Stupidity
    • View Profile
    • Department of Homeland Stupidity
« Reply #68 on: July 29, 2007, 07:10:51 AM »

I have to say my only minor complaint was this past week it seemed that you guys got stuck discussing philosophical stuff all week, the reality of property etc. etc. It was interesting for maybe an hour, but going on and off about it for days? That kind of wore me out a bit.

That's because people were calling in about it. Which, of course, is the whole point of the show. Don't like it? Call up and change the topic.

Johnson

• Tactless Skeptic
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 29, 2007, 09:39:45 AM »

I think part of the point of what I was saying about all this, is that I'm under the impression that the show isn't as much about the callers anymore. It seems that caller driven topics are now handled more as an interruption to the ongoing conversation (initially brought up by a host usually), rather than a change of direction.

I'd also like to point out that the polls are reflecting EXACTLY my beliefs on this.

- That people believe the show is heavily weighted toward politics... and that the split between people who like that and people who would like to see it be SOMEWHAT more hot talk-y is about 50/50. Many of the votes being simple "I like the status quo" style votes....  If the show is, as the poll suggests, weighted about 80/20, a slight increase in different topics and a slightly lighter mood to the show would generally make the show better, as it would compromise to the overall audience. This is exactly what I am saying is needed, NOT that FTL needs to return to the old days, or that the show needs to be primarily hot talk - that has been put into my mouth.

Ian likes to call me "too sensitive..." I call it "in touch".  I talk to the listeners enough, and pay attention to subtle things in places like the cam chat room, or IRC, and on the BBS... Or simply friends I know online who don't participate in those things, but I know when theylhave been bothering to listen. So, I notice when I see a TREND occurring of people being in the chat rooms or onliine, but not caring to actually LISTEN to the show... or when the BBS dies down... When sales for products slow... 

Those things aren't all directly related, but when big swings in trends occur in multiples of those things.. I notice.  I tend to have a finger on having a pretty good idea of what the pulse of a lot of things are.

There is also just my OWN gut, when I think to myself "Goddamn this is repetetive..." I know FTL needs to be repetetive to continue to get a message out there, and that's good for the politics... but it isn't as good for a radio show trying to hold on to long term p1 listeners. I think repeated topics need to be handled from new and different angles.

Back in the old days, FTL was MORE Hot Talk and issues than political talk, but it was still CLEARLY Libertarian. That's what DREW ME to the show, so, I'm speaking from experience.

I'd probably place FTL in the first seasons at 30 p /70 h.  Based on what I'm hearing from talking and listening to people... I think the split now, should be closer to about 50/50. That's where I generally believe our listenership is at.  I'd be perfectly happy if it were about 65/45 or even 60/40.

I doubt most of the political types would even notice a 10-15% increase in more varied topics, and I say that because I know the political types are always going to be focused on the fact that a MESSAGE is being conveyed...

At a 60/40 split, or a 50/50 split... that message is still being conveyed... It's simply being conveyed to a wider audience.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 10:17:09 AM by Johnson »
"In silent resignation, one must never submit to them voluntarily, and even if one is imprisoned in some ghastly dictatorship's jail, where no action is possible - serenity comes from the knowledge that one does NOT accept it. To deal with men by force, is as impractical as to deal with nature by persuasion... Which is the policy of savages who rule men by force, and who plead with nature by prayers, incantations and bribes (sacrifies)." - Ayn Rand

Ed

« Reply #70 on: July 29, 2007, 09:47:31 AM »

I'm listening to the 6-5-06 episode. It's so good.

Porcupine_in_MA

« Reply #71 on: July 29, 2007, 12:56:07 PM »

That's because people were calling in about it. Which, of course, is the whole point of the show. Don't like it? Call up and change the topic.

Error, not quite, I'm a long time listener so I know its about what people call in about sometimes. But they were arguing about it between themselves quite a bit for days. Oh and I did call in with my own topic.

gibson042

• Non-Aggression Principal since 2006
    • View Profile
    • gibson.mp
« Reply #72 on: July 30, 2007, 12:37:49 AM »

Well, the way you laid it out, it was 12 Hot top talk issues to 28 political. That's about 43% Hot talk...

You may want to check again.  Or publish. :wink:

Umm, I don't know what equation that is, but it's not the one for calculation of percentages...

12/28 = .4285 *100 = 43%

Are you serious?  I always considered you the smartest host.  (12 hot talk issues) + (28 political issues) = 40 issues.  (12 hot talk issues) / (40 issues) = 0.3 = 30% hot talk.

For verification, (28 political issues) / (40 issues) = 0.7 = 70% political.  30% hot talk + 70% political = 100% of content.

Where did you learn that silly equation? (Government school?)

Yes, actually.  But it's still correct.
"WOOOOOP  WOOOOOP  WOOOOP EH EH EH EH HHHEEEOOOO HEEEOOOOO" —Rillion

Johnson

• Tactless Skeptic
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 30, 2007, 07:02:21 AM »

Oops... yeah that was like a "forgot to carry the one" error.

Yeah, when I looked at your original formula, I didn't see the 40, so it didn't dawn on me that you were adding the numbers together to get the total number of issues...
Admittedly, I just sort of glanced - said to myself "what the hell is THAT?" and then rechecked the work on MY formula...

Although... my mistake is not actually that bad for me...
because, actually, my original math made HIGHER percentages of Hot Talk by far... after all 12/28 is a much higher percentage than 12/40.

So, by my original glance at the list of issues you posted...
So 2 issues out of 40 is about 5% hot talk.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 07:06:25 AM by Johnson »

gibson042

• Non-Aggression Principal since 2006
    • View Profile
    • gibson.mp
« Reply #74 on: July 30, 2007, 09:37:02 PM »

Back onto the subject at hand... if they were to increase the Issues topics (which I listed as Hot Talk) at the expense of Political—keeping Hot Talk at the same virtually nonexistent level—would you consider that a positive change?
"WOOOOOP  WOOOOOP  WOOOOP EH EH EH EH HHHEEEOOOO HEEEOOOOO" —Rillion
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Is FTL Hot Talk or Political Talk?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 37 queries.