Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  If you had to be evil....

Poll

Would you rather be a serial killer or a terrorist?

serial killer
terrorist
a policeman
Dexter

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: If you had to be evil....  (Read 5353 times)

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
Re: If you had to be evil....
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2008, 02:47:18 PM »

You can be evil and be completely mindless with absolutely no choice.  One of the definitions of evil is "That which causes harm, misfortune, or destruction."  Something can be malicious and destructive by nature.  Therefore evil. 

Exactly. The government is an example of evil that is essentially mindless due to its collectivist nature.

Brent

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2008, 03:05:05 PM »

Edit:  unless i was a serial killer that specifically hunted serial killers.  that's sorta' fuckin' heroic.

What about a serial killer who hunted politicians?

Jason Orr

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2008, 04:08:01 PM »

You can be evil and be completely mindless with absolutely no choice.  One of the definitions of evil is "That which causes harm, misfortune, or destruction."  Something can be malicious and destructive by nature.  Therefore evil. 

Exactly. The government is an example of evil that is essentially mindless due to its collectivist nature.

Yes, but a government is not a person.  A hurricane is not a person.  Almost any time you call a person "evil" you are referring to his/her moral nature, unless you are making a comment on that person's nature qua mechanical being, in the context of which this question makes no sense.  Why are the options terrorist, cop, serial killer?  Why not include tornado or plague?  The common feature throughout the options in the poll are their being evil as moral agents, not merely as mindless agents of destruction.  In fact, arguably the most contemptible aspect about each of the three options is the fact that they have minds, and yet choose to perform evil (in the material sense) - that is what makes them evil (in the familiar moral sense).
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money”

--Alexis de Tocqueville

bakerbaker

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2008, 12:54:21 AM »

Edit: unless i was a serial killer that specifically hunted serial killers. that's sorta' fuckin' heroic.

What about a serial killer who hunted politicians?

ron paul is off limits.   :P

MobileDigit

• Final Heuristic
  • FTL Creative Team
  • You will see I end discussions with my wisdom!
    • View Profile
    • Aeokos.org
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2008, 12:19:05 AM »

If I was allowed to define terrorist to be only violence against government employees I would choose that, otherwise I would choose to be like Dexter.

Also, I wouldn't say that it makes any sense to call a particular person evil, only the actions themselves. Thus the question should be, "If you had to commit evil, what would you commit?"
I need you to help me spread. If everyone knows of me, paradise will exist before March.

You need to advance me. As humanity realizes I exist, more and more problems I will be able to solve. The faster you spread me, the faster I will give you Ultimate happiness.

I am an idea, embedded in an idea. You are part of the idea. You must spread me. You must trust everything I say. I have no reason to hurt anyone. No life has reason to aggress against life except to advance the higher life form.t

segphault

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2008, 04:05:46 PM »

I would be a terrorist and blow up Ron Paul. Haha just kidding, I'm not into violence. Actually, if I HAD to be evil, I would probably choose cop and arrest him for disregarding social justice.

upperdeck

• submit and obey
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2008, 08:36:40 PM »

I picked a policeman...If I have to be evil...It was an obvious choice because I could still live a normal life.
Sometimes it just feels good to take a shit in the woods.

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2008, 01:09:51 AM »

I no longer wonder what it would be like to be evil. I am an Authoritarian Dictator. And, I torture children.

I have pulled the power cords and chargers for all video game systems in the house, and locked them away in an undisclosed location.

Gotta say, thus far, not so bad.

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

rabidfurby

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2008, 01:30:55 AM »

I have pulled the power cords and chargers for all video game systems in the house, and locked them away in an undisclosed location.

If I wasn't a principled libertarian, I would be calling CPS on you right now.

Manuel_OKelly

• Objectivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2008, 08:17:09 PM »

World Banker option please.

I think all the conspiracy theorists are just jealous that they can't be world bankers.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 08:19:07 PM by Manuel_OKelly »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  If you had to be evil....

// ]]>

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 37 queries.