Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Ian is fracking nuts!

Poll

How nuts is he?

He's so nutty the nut shop has several varieties of Ian-nuts.
- 4 (9.3%)
He's so nutty that squirrels are tailing him and plotting his doom.
- 9 (20.9%)
He's not nutty, just fucking retarded.
- 8 (18.6%)
We're all nutty in our own way.
- 18 (41.9%)
Ian who?
- 4 (9.3%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Ian is fracking nuts!  (Read 9541 times)

Andy

• Verbose.
  • Ask me later.
    • View Profile
    • My Blawg
Re: Ian is fracking nuts!
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2008, 04:59:13 PM »

Another example of Ian's hyperbole:

Just listened to the 5 July podcast - at one point Ian says  Japanese Americans were put in concentration camps during WW2.

The life expectancy in a concentration camp was about 9 months - even less in extermination camps.

I honestly don't know what the death rate in American internment camps was, but the wiki page on the subject seems mostly focused on the loss of property by people who had to leave suddenly. I'd expect some prominence to 'causalty' figures if they differed much from the outside world.

I think I might keep a running thread of the more outrageous (and wrong) utterances on the show.

If the war were going badly for the Americans, and it looked as though America was going to lose, things probably would have gotten pretty bad for those in the interment camps.

Maybe.

"Interment camp" is a euphemism for concentration camp. 

No. A concentration camp is a place where people are dehumanised and worked to death.

These places were prisons. The crime was being of the wrong ethnic race.

Sure.

I think there is a qualitative difference Mike, almost to the same extent as the difference between being in prison and being "free" in a "free country."

Frankly if I heard that statement and didn't already know where Ian was coming from I really  would think he was literally  nuts.

Call it prison for sure, call it racist sure, but 'concentration camp' has implications that just aren't supported by reality.

blackie

« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2008, 05:44:58 PM »

No. A concentration camp is a place where people are dehumanised and worked to death.
The Auschwitz camp had a swimming pool.

It was meant for the detainees. Marc Klein mentions it at least twice in his recollections of the camp. In an article entitled 'Auschwitz I Stammlager' he wrote:

The working hours were modified on Sundays and holidays, when most of the kommandos were at leisure. Roll call was at around noon; evenings were devoted to rest and to a choice of cultural and sporting activities. Football, basketball, and water-polo matches (in an open-air pool built within the perimeter by detainees) attracted crowds of onlookers. It should be noted that only the very fit and well-fed, exempt from the harsh jobs, could indulge in these games which drew the liveliest applause from the masses of other detainees (De l'Université aux camps de concentration: Télmorgnages strasbourgeois, Paris, les Belles-lettres, 1947, p. 453).

Some also had an orchestra.

The prisoners' orchestra in Buchenwald concentration camp, 1941 - Apr 11, 1945. USHMM (85881), courtesy of Gedenkstaette Buchenwald.

Call it prison for sure, call it racist sure, but 'concentration camp' has implications that just aren't supported by reality.
Whever. Indian reservations were also concentration camps. Prisons are concentration camps.

YixilTesiphon

• FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2008, 05:55:51 PM »

"Concentration camp" just means a place where a large number of members of a certain demographic are kept.
And their kids were hippie chicks - all hypocrites.

Plyte

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2008, 06:03:47 PM »

I just get a little wierded out by the constant usage of the phrase "lock you up in cages".  Its one of the reasons I refuse to listen to alex jones (never listened to him once, but saw a DNC protest video of him, and hes outta control).  Alex jones uses fear mongering to try to get his message out, and it seems to me that using phrases like "lock you up in cages" and "steal your house" are trying to create fear/dehumanize gov't people they talk about.  It seems also a bit paranoid.  Even if he believes these things are true, putting it in such language doesn't help draw new people (IMO).

I do understand and respect that hes principled.  I dunno if someone else has said it, but if you make an exception to your principles ONCE in the name of effiency, you might as well not have principles at all.

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2008, 06:08:47 PM »

"Concentration camp" just means a place where a large number of members of a certain demographic are kept.

Exactly. And, at the first, the German camps weren't all that awful. Prisoners worked, just as they do in most prisons. They were fed, ect. Then, once the war started and Germany began losing (which, really, didn't take all that long) conditions in the camps started getting bad. Hitler ordered the "final solution," partly as punishment for what Germany was enduring and partly with the idea that, even if Germany lost, at least the hated Jews would be gone.

I can see the same thing happening to the Japanese Americans in the (highly unlikely) event the US started losing the war. Certainly, if the Fundies ever gain real political power, life will get very hard for homosexuals, atheists, and anyone of the "wrong" belief system.
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

Travis

« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2008, 06:29:49 PM »

I just get a little wierded out by the constant usage of the phrase "lock you up in cages".  Its one of the reasons I refuse to listen to alex jones (never listened to him once, but saw a DNC protest video of him, and hes outta control).  Alex jones uses fear mongering to try to get his message out, and it seems to me that using phrases like "lock you up in cages" and "steal your house" are trying to create fear/dehumanize gov't people they talk about.  It seems also a bit paranoid.  Even if he believes these things are true, putting it in such language doesn't help draw new people (IMO).

I do understand and respect that hes principled.  I dunno if someone else has said it, but if you make an exception to your principles ONCE in the name of effiency, you might as well not have principles at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o25I2fzFGoY

[youtube=425,350]o25I2fzFGoY[/youtube]

FTL_Ian

• Professional Iconoclast
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Free Keene
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2008, 01:01:54 PM »

Let's see:
  • I interact with regular people every day on the telephone.  (Radio station people)
  • I sit down and have lunch with my adversaries and have pleasant conversations with them.  (City people like Fred Parsells, Carl Patten, John MacLean, Medard Kopczynski, etc.)
  • Julia has her friends over and we talk about liberty about hardly ever.  (Though, the son of the "city clerk" did ask us the other night what Free Staters were.   8))
  • I am on the board of directors of Cheshire TV.  (Regular meetings with "real people".)

So, give me a fucking break, people.  I can get along with "regular people" just fine.  How the hell do you think I got to where I am?

Because I like to spend some of my free time socializing with people with a similar belief system, I'm crazy?  I might add that the liberty people in Keene talk about a lot of things. 

I will not apologize for my priorities in life:

Julia
FTL
Liberty
Everything else.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 01:03:27 PM by FTL_Ian »
Please support the show by joining the AMP program at http//amp.freetalklive.com

I blog at http://freekeene.com

NHArticleTen

« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2008, 01:05:29 PM »

Let's see:
  • I interact with regular people every day on the telephone.  (Radio station people)
  • I sit down and have lunch with my adversaries and have pleasant conversations with them.  (City people like Fred Parsells, Carl Patten, John MacLean, Medard Kopczynski, etc.)
  • Julia has her friends over and we talk about liberty about hardly ever.  (Though, the son of the "city clerk" did ask us the other night what Free Staters were.   8))
  • I am on the board of directors of Cheshire TV.  (Regular meetings with "real people".)

So, give me a fucking break, people.  I can get along with "regular people" just fine.  How the hell do you think I got to where I am?

Because I like to spend some of my free time socializing with people with a similar belief system, I'm crazy?  I might add that the liberty people in Keene talk about a lot of things. 

I will not apologize for my priorities in life:

Julia
FTL
Liberty
Everything else.

well said

Taors

« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2008, 01:18:44 PM »

Thanks for proving everyone's points.

FTL_Ian

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Free Keene
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2008, 01:45:13 PM »

Thanks for speaking for everyone.   :lol:
Please support the show by joining the AMP program at http//amp.freetalklive.com

FTL_Ian

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Free Keene
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2008, 01:49:10 PM »

I'm the one who is conversing in real life with the govt people and building relationships, while you sit here and snipe on an internet forum.  Case closed.   :P
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 01:53:41 PM by FTL_Ian »

FTL_Ian

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Free Keene
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2008, 01:53:14 PM »

As a further point of clarification, I was using adversary in the opponent sense, not "enemy".  The govt people are our opponents for now, but we can change that.  Already some are less opposition that others.  People like Sam and I are doing what it takes to make that change happen:

http://freekeene.com/2008/10/21/conversation-with-shane-maxfield-kpd-lt-part-15/
http://freekeene.com/2008/10/22/conversation-with-shane-maxfield-kpd-lt-part-25/

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2008, 01:57:55 PM »

• I Radio station people
  • City people like Fred Parsells, Carl Patten,
  • Julia has her friends
  • Cheshire TV
Hmmmm... depending on the kind of people Julia hangs out with, I figure at most 1 of the above 4 count as "regular people"
;)

Just busting yer chops, Ian. Smoke a bowl and relaaaaax.

Taors

« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2008, 02:31:24 PM »

Thanks for speaking for everyone.   :lol:

No problem. I'm a good representative.

I'm the one who is conversing in real life with the govt people and building relationships, while you sit here and snipe on an internet forum.  Case closed.   :P

What has it gotten you?

FTL_Ian

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Free Keene
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2008, 02:52:52 PM »

It's helped me understand the bureaucrats better.  They are people too.  Just misguided and unaware of the benefits of consensual interaction.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Ian is fracking nuts!

// ]]>

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 37 queries.