Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  How Wants Speed Limits?

Poll

Do You want speed limits?

Yes
- 11 (13.1%)
No
- 27 (32.1%)
Not on government roads
- 8 (9.5%)
on private roads, its fine
- 38 (45.2%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Voting closes: November 01, 2066, 08:27:20 PM

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: How Wants Speed Limits?  (Read 10842 times)

Trademark

Re: How Wants Speed Limits?
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2006, 12:06:47 PM »

How now, brown cow? 

Damnit Lindsey, and I thought I was a grammer nazi...  :lol:

Yes, but I am the grammar Nazi. 

Among other things.  :P

Trademark

« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2006, 12:10:39 PM »

Lets ask ourselves why we have speed limits? When cars and cargo trucks were first making mass transit, safty issues became a major concern. Each state was given the right to put their own set of laws in motion.

I don't like traffic laws. I don't like most of the idiots driving out there. Traffic laws can't kill me, Idiots can.

Trademark

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2006, 12:39:13 PM »

Lets ask ourselves why we have speed limits? When cars and cargo trucks were first making mass transit, safty issues became a major concern. Each state was given the right to put their own set of laws in motion.

I don't like traffic laws. I don't like most of the idiots driving out there. Traffic laws can't kill me, Idiots can.

Better idea; don't drive. THen it's just idiots killing other idiots, everyone wins... well YOU win.

Not allowing drivers to kill me, does not mean I won't die. I will most likly die in my house, with my pants full of my own fecal matter and some jiffy pop on my shirt. Nevermind, Back to driving!!!  :lol:

dawolvesman

« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2006, 01:58:28 PM »

I voted no but I don't see that happening.   If everyone would use common sense and Courtesy we could take down all traffic signs, and abolish most of the laws, but like I said, "common sense" is not common.

AlexLibman

« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2006, 03:10:01 PM »

No government speed limit laws or regulations would be possible in a truly free society.

Private property owners can set whatever rules they want (as long as those rules are disclosed in advance, and cannot harm your life, liberty, or property without your consent).  With competing privatized highways, whenever I have a choice, I'll favor routes where you can go reasonably fast, and so will most other people.  What "reasonably fast" is will mean different things to different people, mostly depending to the hotness of your car, so privately controlled speed limits could also be a boost for the automotive industry.  Another benefit is that it will get all them onramp-clogging grannies onto different roads than them 130+ MPH hotrod nuts.

I predict that on most privately-owned freeways, the speed limits will be flexible, depending on each driver's "speed karma".  You must have insurance and no at-fault accidents in last X years where speeding was a factor to go over Y MPH or even get on the fast lane(s).  I don't mind private companies using high-tech methods to ID all cars on their road, as long as the government isn't involved.  Competition and consumer activism would drive the privacy standards to where they should be.

EDIT: Yeah, yeah, I know, I expressed very similar ideas just a few posts above.  Guess I forgot, and didn't notice.

They probably do fear you, rancemuhamitz, especially if you look like your avatar pic.   :lol:

« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 10:29:36 PM by AlexLibman »

goten1201

« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2006, 09:48:46 PM »

Speed limits 65 most places,  i'll be going 70, 75 and cars are still passing me.  Do people really obey it to a T.  Its more of a suggestion to most people. (proof because going past the speed limit, cars are still passing.)

seeNochanges913

« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2006, 10:06:36 PM »

Speed limits 65 most places, i'll be going 70, 75 and cars are still passing me. Do people really obey it to a T. Its more of a suggestion to most people. (proof because going past the speed limit, cars are still passing.)

Its kinda an unwritten law, not sure about other states, that ur not gonna get pulled over unless ur doin over 80/85 in a 65. And thats why u see people goin by u when ur drivin 70/75.

FSP4evr

« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2006, 05:38:59 PM »

Isn't Texas going to raise the limit to 80 in some places??
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  How Wants Speed Limits?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 35 queries.