Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  How Wants Speed Limits?

Poll

Do You want speed limits?

Yes
- 11 (13.1%)
No
- 27 (32.1%)
Not on government roads
- 8 (9.5%)
on private roads, its fine
- 38 (45.2%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Voting closes: November 01, 2066, 08:27:20 PM

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: How Wants Speed Limits?  (Read 10792 times)

francisckrs

Re: How Wants Speed Limits?
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2006, 04:01:56 PM »

ah damn, now i feel like an idiot :( *kicks self*

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2006, 08:55:34 PM »

I'm in favor of private roads, and think it prudent to have speed limits and other safety rules for those roads. Just what rules should exist is a matter for the owner(s) of the roads, but I expect they ought to match the generally accepted industry standard set up for those roads.

As for whether private roads can exist, just today I visited the historic ranch founded by Vernon BC pioneer O'keefe, who first made a fortune for himself by driving cattle into the area, and then putting in roads so others could gain access.

BTW, his home and sprawling grounds, now one of the finest historic sites in the region, was donated by the family and turned into a museum by a private organization.
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2006, 10:08:14 PM »

ah damn, now i feel like an idiot :( *kicks self*

Harder next time.   :P
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

francisckrs

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2006, 10:32:57 PM »

Damn, you know i had a very nice girlfriend named Lindsey, i figured maybe you would be nice...but i was wrong your a bitch huh? lol

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2006, 10:42:39 PM »

Damn, you know i had a very nice girlfriend named Lindsey, i figured maybe you would be nice...but i was wrong your a bitch huh? lol

francisckrs, meet the contraction.  You are/contraction = you're, meet francisckrs.

So, to counter your question, my what is a bitch?

Your error changes the entire meaning of the sentence.  But to answer the question I think you were asking, no.  I'm not a bitch.  You're old enough to have learned how to put together a sentence.  It just bothers me when people do not possess these elementary skills.  Sure, a typographical error is one thing, but repeatedly making the same mistake and not realizing it is when somebody needs to point out the problem so that you can correct it.  It would be bad if you wrote something like that on a job resume, and your potential employer laughed and placed it into the circular filing cabinet because he/she wants an employee who can at least understand the difference between "your" and "you're".  I'm really not picking on you, or trying to be mean. 
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

Bill Brasky

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2006, 05:18:51 AM »

francisckrs, meet the contraction.  You are/contraction = you're, meet francisckrs.

So, to counter your question, my what is a bitch?

Your error changes the entire meaning of the sentence.  But to answer the question I think you were asking, no.  I'm not a bitch.  You're old enough to have learned how to put together a sentence.  It just bothers me when people do not possess these elementary skills.  Sure, a typographical error is one thing, but repeatedly making the same mistake and not realizing it is when somebody needs to point out the problem so that you can correct it.  It would be bad if you wrote something like that on a job resume, and your potential employer laughed and placed it into the circular filing cabinet because he/she wants an employee who can at least understand the difference between "your" and "you're".  I'm really not picking on you, or trying to be mean. 

Know what?  I spoke to you the other day about jobs and the underlying theme was who will hire a person and why they have skills.  Abilities.  Value in the workplace. 

That discussion was productive, we spoke and touched on it like dragonflies landing lightly on a floating leaf, and went our seperate ways, with minimal bloodshed. 

I think you have skills.  Maybe it would be worth while to apply to a newspaper (or a TV station) as an editors assistant. 

I was reading this thread and it whacked me in the head, its a total no brainer. 

Dont laugh.  Think about it, entry level in media.  You're good at it.  Others are not.  People apply for shit like this, but credentials dont really matter, because they get tested and performance is the key. 

If you can speak the language fluently about grammatical construction, and can identify mistakes like dangling participles, you could be making serious money. 

Listen closely.  Nobody gets hired unless they apply.  Its that fucking simple.  Imagine if you poked around into a few jobs like that and scored...  those jobs are easily worth 30 grand a year, within a few years you would bump up.  22, 23 years old with experience.  Take a look around a TV station or a newspaper, they show the people around the holidays waving at the cameras...  they have shitloads of youngpeople.  And how many of those fuckers do you think can quote the classics?  You could eat half those fuckers for lunch. 

And even if they said NO a few times, its a learning experience.  Once in a while, people say NO, but once that happens you learn from it. 

Thats when you get told yes, and shit starts to happen. 

Do it. 

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2006, 07:04:39 PM »

I don't know, maybe.  I've never really given thought to much in the way of careers, aside from some type of performance.  Singing and playing instruments is just always what I've done.  As I got older, I began to dabble in writing, and I do love it.  It's just that I've never been happy unless I'm on stage, but maybe I'll start branching out...who knows. 
         -George W. Bush

robbyweber82

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2006, 11:34:08 AM »

i don't see why this is the case in the US. I mean, the insurance companies would profit more. Both in people with higher accident amounts. Also oil companies would profit more. The faster you go, the poorer your gas performance is.

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2006, 02:27:53 PM »

What about highway mileage?  Cars get better milage per gallon on highways, and the speed limit on a highway is usually higher than it is in a city area. 
         -George W. Bush

EyeRyedUggen

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2006, 02:35:55 PM »

Lindsey, if your such a grammar nazi how did you not noticed that the name of this topic is "How Wants Speed Limits" instead of "Who"

who do you know what was meant by the thread author?

And spelling issues are not grammar issues and spelling errors are not typos. At best, spelling errors are usage issues. Oh, punctuation is also not a grammar issue.

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2006, 03:38:53 PM »

To make grammatical and spelling errors is bad; to rudely and publicly point them out is worse.

"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2006, 04:32:30 PM »

To make grammatical and spelling errors is bad; to rudely and publicly point them out is worse.

Ian used to point out mistakes in e-mails when he read them on the air.  Every mistake.  I don't know if he still does it though. 
         -George W. Bush

robbyweber82

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2006, 02:13:11 AM »

What about highway mileage?  Cars get better milage per gallon on highways, and the speed limit on a highway is usually higher than it is in a city area. 

the only reason this stands true is because a constant speed is attainted while your on the interstate.

This is why semis accelerate so slowly (or any loaded down vehicle).

The biggest efficiency loss for gas motors is at constant changing speeds. This is where an electric motor out performs.

The reason why performance is decreased at higher speeds is because you are making the engine work much harder and faster.
Just like a human being. You can run, but usually not that long before you burn out. Your much better off walking if its a long trip.

defenderofliberty

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2006, 02:06:25 PM »

There are several statements that I have issues with.  And of course there is also the taxpayer funded propaganda that I need to address as well.  Different vehicles have speeds at which they are the most efficient.  Hybrids and electric vehicles usually are more efficient at lower speeds, while many internal combustion engines are more efficient at higher speeds/rpms.  There are many factors that affect efficiency trends.  I used to have a Suburban that was most efficient between 90 and 110 mph (over 20 mpg), while at 35 mph, it only got about 13 mpg (both at fairly constant speeds without stops between origin and destination).  Where you get the most loss in efficiency is when you use your brakes.  Vehicles that are equipped with turbochargers or superchargers are more efficient at higher rpms than vehicles that are naturally aspirated, but at lower rpms they are about the same.  The transmission gearing and type also make a huge difference.  My old Suburban was geared high and had tall tires so that at 100 mph it was humming along nicely at around 2000 rpms, and since it had a locking torque converter, it didn't lose efficiency there.  My step dad’s little Honda was taching out at about 80 mph in it's top gear and the engine sounded like it was screaming, so obviously it was designed to be most efficient around 65 mph.  If a vehicle's cam shaft is shaped so that the valves are open longer, it will be more efficient at higher speeds than one that holds the valves open for a shorter percentage of the time.
I was wondering what you think constitutes "dangerous driving".  I think it is many things to many people.  I usually don't "weave in and out of traffic", but I have found that I am more likely to do it on MA highways because most of those folks don't seem to understand the concept of lane courtesy.  When I do change lanes, I use my turn signals and because I am going faster than the vehicles that I cut in front of, there is no need for them to apply their brakes, and unless they stomp on the gas, they won't hit me.  I usually keep a comfortable distance between my car and the one in front of me, but sometimes when a driver forms a rolling roadblock by traveling in the left lane of the highway at about the same speed as the car(s) to their right, I close in and try to persuade them to get out of my way.  The best way to keep traffic moving smoothly and safely is for drivers to keep right except to pass (which is the law in MA, but is rarely enforced).  In NH, if you are traveling in a lane other than the far right lane, but are not passing someone, you must yield to the right if another vehicle approaches you from behind.  Maine has a similar law.  When I was a teenager, I actually got pulled over in MA for driving in the passing lane when there were no other vehicles within sight, except for the cop who was waiting on the side of the road.  Whether or not it is the law where you live, please keep right except to pass, unless you will be taking a left turn soon, and yes, it's still considered passing if you are moving into the second lane so that traffic can merge onto the highway from an onramp.  When drivers drive faster on the highway, they spend less time on the highway, which results in fewer vehicles on the highway at any time and less congestion.
A recent study by the NHTSA concurred with my personally observations and showed that more accidents occur at lower speeds, with most accidents caused by inattention.  The only "accident" that I have been "at fault" in was caused by a u-joint failure in the poorly designed rear driveshaft of my Jeep Wrangler, which cause my driveshaft to fall out while I was driving down the highway.  The driveshaft bounced off the road, then the Mustang that was behind me, flattening one of his tires.  I have been speeding for the last 15 years without hitting anyone.  Several of those years I was a professional driver, working as a chauffeur, courier, and truck driver, often driving more than 8 hours a day, 5 to 6 days a week, and usually over the speed limit.  My wife also speeds, but she has been in a few accidents.  She was driving very slowly while backing up (around 5 mph) in 4 of the accidents, and around 30 mph in the other.  She admitted that she had turned around to tell the kids to stop doing something when she got in that one.  All of her accidents were caused because she was not looking where she was going.
A number of years ago I had a motorcycle that was capable of exceeding 135 mph, and I reached that speed once.  A late model Chevy Impala handles very nicely at speeds over 100 mph, and mine goes into triple digits almost daily when I am driving to work on the highway.  When I am driving well above the speed limit, I make sure to scan the road well ahead of me and look for potential impedances or hazards.  If it looks like  there is a potential impedance or hazard ahead, I take my foot off the throttle well before I reach the proximity of the vehicle ahead of me and coast to allow my speed to match the vehicle ahead of me before I reach it so that I usually don't have to use my brakes.  Fortunately in NH, people are usually more courteous, and are more likely to yield to the right than the drivers in the surrounding states, especially MA, CT, NJ, and NY.  I would recommend getting a membership with the National Motorists' Association (http://motorists.org), especially if you think that the posted limits are too low and are interested in making our highways safer and freer.  As a former truck driver, the primary reasons trucks usually accelerate so slowly are because no truck driver wants to have to pick up skids of product that has fallen over because of a sudden change in speed, and the power to weight ratio in trucks is usually much lower than most passenger vehicles.  When a passenger vehicle accelerates quickly, the gas mileage is worse during acceleration than when it is accelerating slowly, but the duration of poor mileage is also shorter, so there is not a big difference in average gas mileage between a vehicle that accelerates from 0 to 60 in 5 seconds, and travels a couple miles, and a vehicle that accelerates from 0 to 60 in 20 seconds and travels the same distance.  The first vehicle gets worse mileage during the first 5 seconds, and better mileage during the next 15 seconds.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 02:32:59 PM by defenderofliberty »

AlexLibman

« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2006, 11:55:51 AM »

Driving at high speed does not cause accidents, bad drivers do.  (If you do get into an accident, though, speed does make the damage worse.)  We need a way to identify bad drivers, like a little remote control device you can point at a misbehaving car next to you to give it a bad karma vote.  The driver karma would be like a credit rating, there could be several competing bureaus and the insurance / private road companies could subscribe to none, some, or all of them in deciding how the karma data would affect their policies and rates.

This idea isn't fully baked, of course, and it would require some sort of an RFID chip in all cars, but if it's a requirement from the private road company and not the feds, I guess it's not as bad.  It'd be useful for automatic toll tracking too.  Private roads could use a very sophisticated toll rate formula taking into account time of day, road congestion, vehicle weight, driver karma, and average driving speed.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  How Wants Speed Limits?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 37 queries.