Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  How Wants Speed Limits?

Poll

Do You want speed limits?

Yes
- 11 (13.1%)
No
- 27 (32.1%)
Not on government roads
- 8 (9.5%)
on private roads, its fine
- 38 (45.2%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Voting closes: November 01, 2066, 08:27:20 PM

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: How Wants Speed Limits?  (Read 10795 times)

The Terminator

How Wants Speed Limits?
« on: August 08, 2006, 09:27:20 PM »

as ian asked on tonights show? do you want speed limits

Minsk

Re: How Wants Speed Limits?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 09:36:52 PM »

Of course, the "No" answer would not necessarily imply that no restrictions would be in place. I, for one, feel that speed limits are moronic but that dangerous driving should carry penalties.

<edit>How/Who, Tomato/Otmato, pfft :)</edit>
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 09:40:07 PM by Minsk »

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 09:37:19 PM »

How now, brown cow? 
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

zebraflood

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 10:36:45 PM »

I've been taking the same roads, going at the same speed to work 6 days a week for the past 8 months that I've worked at my current job. Two weeks ago, I got pulled over three times within a week by the same unmarked police car, driven by the same cop. I've never been in a fault accident, never endangered anyones safety while driving. And yet, here I am now with multiple tickets.

Speed limits, for the most part, are completely ridiculous. If I feel comfortable and can stay in control of my vehicle going at 30, 40, 50, 60 mph, I see no reason for anyone to slap me on the wrist and say I was going "too fast." Too fast for whom? Within reason, of course. Going 100 through residential would probably be considered reckless by most standards.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 11:49:21 PM by zebraflood »

Soundwave

• Like a station wagon...
  • Administrator
  • Soundwave superior, constructicons inferior.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2006, 10:58:12 PM »

Yeah. People go as fast as they feel they can handle; speed limit has little to do with it. Some people drive 50 on the interstate at all times. I find that to be much more dangerous then driving with traffic at 80 or 85.

Once again we see that one size does not fit all.

It'd be very interesting to see how this would be handled on private roads. Perhaps instead of speeding citations, there could just be some sort of punishment for people that were driving dangerously, because there is a difference.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 11:03:44 PM by Soundwave »
Julia

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2006, 11:04:19 PM »

I'm all for the destruction of speed limits.  I don't drive particularly fast, because I'm not comfortable with it, but I do find myself going a good 10-20 mph over the speed limit occasionally, and if traffic permits.  I will now use this opportunity to segue in to yet another thing that peeves me.  When everybody else on the motherfucking road is going 50 or 60, it's not okay for you to do 80 or 90, weave in and out of traffic, and ride my ass.  Back the fuck up off and I won't have to kill you at the next stop light.  Act like a Goddamned human being.  Thank you. 
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
         -George W. Bush

zebraflood

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2006, 11:15:33 PM »

I'm all for the destruction of speed limits.  I don't drive particularly fast, because I'm not comfortable with it, but I do find myself going a good 10-20 mph over the speed limit occasionally, and if traffic permits.  I will now use this opportunity to segue in to yet another thing that peeves me.  When everybody else on the motherfucking road is going 50 or 60, it's not okay for you to do 80 or 90, weave in and out of traffic, and ride my ass.  Back the fuck up off and I won't have to kill you at the next stop light.  Act like a Goddamned human being.  Thank you. 

Indeed. There are certain road behaviors that I don't necessarily consider okay. Going at a certain speed is not the issue, it's driving safely for current road conditions. Weaving in and out of traffic is assuming a lot of the people you're cutting in front of- mostly that they're going to slam on their brakes instead of just slamming into your silly ass.

Thespis

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2006, 11:25:17 AM »

If you're on a four lane highway, that's when you match the speed of the person in the next lane, so the asshole can't get past either of you.

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2006, 02:11:59 PM »

If you're on a four lane highway, that's when you match the speed of the person in the next lane, so the asshole can't get past either of you.

Yeah, I don't want some dickweed flashing his brights in my face because he feels the need to go even faster, DESPITE already exceeding the speed limit by 10 or 15 mph.  I'm sorry, but I don't feel great going 70 mph with a guy in a very large truck driving very close to the back end of a very small Mustang.  Eat my shorts buddy, k? 
         -George W. Bush

Carlos

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2006, 02:19:42 PM »

and ride my ass
Then get the hell out of the way.  The left lane is for passing.  On a multi-lane highway you should move as far right as your speed dictates.  Don't drive along next to other cars at .5 MPH faster than them.

Thespis

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2006, 03:13:38 PM »

and ride my ass
Then get the hell out of the way.  The left lane is for passing.  On a multi-lane highway you should move as far right as your speed dictates.  Don't drive along next to other cars at .5 MPH faster than them.

She's talking about the assholes that weave through all lanes at 90mph.

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2006, 03:19:39 PM »

and ride my ass

No shit?  The left lane is for passing?  Oh...nevermind.  That's what I USE IT FOR.  If I'm in the fucking right lane, and some dickwad is trying to ride my ass to make me go faster because there's not enough room for him to squeeze into the left lane, he can eat me, because it's not gonna motherfucking happen.  Hardly EVAR do I drive in the left lane, unless I am making an attempt to get in front of someone doing a solid five or ten mph below the speed everyone else is going, which is usually way below the (ridiculous) speed limit. 
         -George W. Bush

Lindsey

• Rock Star
  • Global Moderator
  • I like Mars.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2006, 09:54:48 PM »

How now, brown cow? 

Damnit Lindsey, and I thought I was a grammer nazi...  :lol:

Yes, but I am the grammar Nazi. 
         -George W. Bush

rollins100

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2006, 10:51:07 AM »

How now, brown cow? 

Damnit Lindsey, and I thought I was a grammer nazi...  :lol:

Yes, but I am the grammar Nazi. 

Ha-ha!  *Nelson Muntz voice* :lol:

francisckrs

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2006, 03:55:21 PM »

Lindsey, if your such a grammar nazi how did you not noticed that the name of this topic is "How Wants Speed Limits" instead of "Who"
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  How Wants Speed Limits?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 37 queries.